Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Late 50's Early 60"s clothing? .. >

Late 50's Early 60"s clothing? ..

Late 50's Early 60"s clothing? ..

Old 04-03-2013, 12:15 PM

It`s so disterbing to go to church and schools and other public places and see not just young women but middle aged with their brest showing. where are our christian values??? It won`t be long before they meet in the middle-- so low in the top and short at the other end!!!
Old 04-03-2013, 01:40 PM

I wore them once. Was not allowed to wear pants in any shape or form for the first years working after high school. Couldn't wear jeans in high school........I've done my part --- NOW I'll wear jeans and t-shirts!!! As for the style -- yes, I love them, and yes, they're so much more feminine and descent than the stuff being worn nowadays!
Old 04-03-2013, 03:31 PM

The fifties clothes were feminine and classy. Yes, I would shop at a 50's or 60's shop if there were any today. I made my clothes for at least 40 years and really enjoyed making them. Today there is nothing out there for older women like myself. Everything is geared for younger people, short skirts, sleeveless. If there is a sleeve on a dress, it is barely a cap sleeve. I wouldn't think of wearing a sleeveless dress with my flabby upper arms. Another thing that annoys me is the way little girls clothing is made. They are made too grownup looking and the fabric is terrible. What happened to the dresses we made for our little girls? Puffed sleeves, collar and a pretty sash. I'm sure those are gone forever.
Old 04-03-2013, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by janRN View Post
I'm not so much into dresses but I'd love to find some shirts that come below the waist--they're always too short (and I'm not a tall person). I love long tunic style shirts and they're difficult to find. As for boobs hanging out, mine don't hang out they hang down!
Just saw some really pretty ones that might even be long enough for me (I'm 5'11") so you might like them.... they are linen-look from LL Bean from their new spring clothes collection. The colors are great, too.
Old 04-03-2013, 05:23 PM

I would definitely shop in a store like that. The dresses were so pretty and very feminine but not revealing. I wear lots of skirts but can never find any cute dresses.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:32 PM

My sentiments exactlly. I can't find anything to buy. Tops are all cut to low and skirts are to high. I would love to find a couple of dresses that I felt comfortable in. The last couple times I found a dress to try on I looked like I was trying to go back to high school (Not a pretty site). I wondered if my mom ever thought there was nothng to buy. Mentioned it to some one recently and she said there used to be dress shops for women so she probably never had the problem. Today everything is geared to the younger girls. And for little girls--we are making them grow up way to fast.
Originally Posted by luce321 View Post
The fifties clothes were feminine and classy. Yes, I would shop at a 50's or 60's shop if there were any today. I made my clothes for at least 40 years and really enjoyed making them. Today there is nothing out there for older women like myself. Everything is geared for younger people, short skirts, sleeveless. If there is a sleeve on a dress, it is barely a cap sleeve. I wouldn't think of wearing a sleeveless dress with my flabby upper arms. Another thing that annoys me is the way little girls clothing is made. They are made too grownup looking and the fabric is terrible. What happened to the dresses we made for our little girls? Puffed sleeves, collar and a pretty sash. I'm sure those are gone forever.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:11 PM

The modest 50's-60's styles are being worn by Taylor Swift in several of the commercials advertising her music, so maybe some of peers might start wearing them too. We can at least hope. As for me, I think I would like a few dresses of that style, even though I have worn them before.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:11 PM

If I had my 1960's body back, I'd be delighted to wear a dress from the 1960's - but not "grannie" dresses. They were ugly then and they'd be ugly now! I really loved my mini-dresses, though, especially when 'they' came out with pantyhose!
Old 04-04-2013, 03:01 AM
Power Poster

UM I'm so out of style - I thought that boob hanging out look was for Cosmo covers or Sports Illustrated not your every day woman.
Old 04-04-2013, 05:00 AM

)K - late 50's till about 60 or 61. I have been looking for one of those "housedresses" that were so popular or standard back then. If you notice, when you have a dress on, you automatically act more like a woman, but with pants, or jeans, we tend to even sit like a truck driver.......or is it just me?? haha