Laundry -

Old 10-08-2016, 10:42 AM

Really need unscented as the loud smells get me to sneezing
Old 10-08-2016, 05:03 PM
Power Poster

I'm about 3 years in and haven't noticed anything bad! Maybe it has to do with the water supply?
It might have been the water. The two ingredient recipe has worked the best for me. I don't use it very much but have some on hand.
Old 10-11-2016, 11:41 AM

I buy Free & Clear detergents because of all of my allergies. I also try to buy unscented deodorants and cosmetics. Anything with vanilla or lilies sets me off sneezing and weeping. I do use Mistolin lavender scented to clean my floors and the scent is light enough it doesn't bother me.
Old 10-12-2016, 05:32 PM

I like Tide, Arm & Hammer, Purex, and Wisk. All scented . I love the clean scents, not the perfumey ones (and I guess that's very subjective). Downy or Snuggle fabric softener. If it has "no" smell, it's hard for me to know if it's clean because...let's just say you can't always tell if laundry is "comin' or goin'" around here. The sniff test RULES !
Old 10-13-2016, 05:30 PM

Unscented for me as DH has skin allergies and I have asthma. I use the "plastic" dryer balls. Will have to look up how to make my own.

A note for people who use dryer sheets of any kind. Be sure to wash your lint trap filter often! The dryer sheets leave a residue that can clog the screen and could cause a dryer fire! Be safe...WASH those lint trap filters. (This tip was given to me by a fire department chief who has responded to many a dryer fire).

BTW, this is the same residue that causes towels, etc. not to be as absorbent over time. The cloth fibers get coated with this residue and builds up. Multiple washings will restore absorbency.

Last edited by ILoveToQuilt; 10-13-2016 at 05:31 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-01-2016, 03:55 PM

I like unscented although DH does the shopping and isn't as discerning! But I do hang all my own clothes except underwear and night clothes, on the outside line--DH says it's makes them too stiff!. And I insist that all linens are hung out to dry on the line--we live in the country and the way they smell so fresh is just amazing.
Old 11-01-2016, 08:08 PM

on a septic tank system i need to be careful what i put in the water for laundry or dishes. i don't like the strong smelling laundry aides but i read in a health magazine that unscented is more toxic than scented. so i go for low odor, phosphate free detergents & use dryer sheets w as little odor as possible. i prefer the smell of laundry from a clothesline in the sun & wind ...but our winds here in eastern washington state are usually heavy dust storms.
Old 11-01-2016, 08:53 PM

Thank goodness, I and DH have no trouble with scents. I spent my whole life hanging outdoors (children were embarrassed by clothes pin marks on the shoulders of their tees & got teased at school). Too old and disabled to do that any more. Now use a dryer, but never a dryer sheet.
Old 11-01-2016, 08:57 PM

Haven't had a dryer for 30 years. Love spring, summer and fall because I can hang my clothes and bedding outside. Come winter I hang then on racks inside and they dry overnight.
Old 11-02-2016, 01:46 AM

unscented only!! why would you want your clothes to have a fragrance if you are wearing perfume? Wouldn't they clash? Although a lot of new perfumes I sample DO smell like dryer sheets. Yuck.

I also like rough, scratchy bath towels, so dryer sheets are out. Last time I bought some it was to repel mice in the attic.