Lay off notice today

Old 06-17-2009, 04:44 PM
Power Poster

Sorry you got the notice. What is your field and what are the prospects in your area? I wish you a successful hunt.
Old 06-17-2009, 05:14 PM

Hope things turn around for ypou soon. In the meantime enjoy quilting!!!
Old 06-17-2009, 08:49 PM

Sorry to hear about your layoff. I think the U.P./Wisc. gets hit a little later than everyone else, don't you? We have been worrying about my DH's job- but so far, so good for us. He doesn't get any overtime anymore, but the upside to that is that we see him a lot more. We have done a lot of fishing with our kids (virtually free entertainment) already this spring- more than we did all summer last year. So there are silver linings.

I agree with everyone who said now you can quilt more! YAY! And there are ways to get fabric cheaper- I have been finding lots at Goodwill. Hopefully this will work out for you- being able to see the grandkids will be awesome!
Old 04-18-2010, 05:05 PM
Google Goddess

How are you doing today? Are you having fun quilting?
Old 04-18-2010, 05:10 PM

Hi! Can't believe this thread resurfaced. Well Unemployment is out but I am learning paper piecing so able to use up some scraps! Glad I save the weirdest stuff too! I spend my days on the computer on this site or at the machine sewing. Nothing promising in the job market yet.
Thanks for asking.
Old 04-18-2010, 10:35 PM

Hi Up North,
So sorry you will be joining so many of the rest of us. I havent worked for 1 year 6 mos. DH was out of work for months. We was forced to retire and it isant much more than unempliyment was. Thank goodness for SS and I can start drawing in Aug. Just not to many hireing us older ones. Just get things lined out and start looking and hope you find something else soon, but like some of the other's said quilt, quilt, and quilt. If you are like most of us quilter's this is time to use the stach. I was so blessed to have a stash, threads, and my sewing machiine was paid for about a year before I was out of work... Best wishes.
ConnieF
Old 04-19-2010, 03:35 AM

I have only been quilting for two years, not much stash but I am managing to do as much sewing as I can. There are always sheets and cloths to cut into if I run out. I did buy a new machine last year before I was laid off and it is paid for so that is a plus! There are just NO jobs here Unless you are a nurse or a certified Auto mechanic!

We'll make it it is just hard not to be able to buy things.
Old 04-19-2010, 04:43 AM
JJs
Banned

but but wait, according to the prez (that hopey changey stuff) the recession is officially over....
I guess they figure if they "talk it in" it means it really happened...
tell that to all the people down here in an area that was already depressed, and now what little work was here is GONE...
Old 04-19-2010, 04:45 AM
Power Poster

Aw, sending you some Hugs! I am in Wisconsin, and its seems that almost everyone I know has a family member laid off, or whose job ended! We are by the janesville GM plant, and when that shut down, ALOT went with it........I sure hope the economy gets better soon!
Old 04-19-2010, 04:49 AM

Boy do I understand...lost mine last June. I wish you the best..I did get insurance which wasn't easy to find affordably but I am covered if I have a major illness or need surgery.
Hang in there hon!!!