Lay off notice today

Old 06-17-2009, 02:36 AM

Hang in there and if you can send out the day after your resume to temp agents and maybe you can have some kind of money coming in outside of your unemployment check. Or ride it out and relax for a bit and then head out to the temp world till something better comes along. Good luck.
Old 06-17-2009, 02:43 AM
k3n
Power Poster

I'm so sorry to hear that! Here's a HUG!!!
Old 06-17-2009, 03:02 AM

[quote=Adriane]As a lot of people have said, hang in there. I feel your pain/shock. My father was laid off 3 times in the past year, brother lost his information technology job...it's just turbulent out there.

I know it may be cliche, but, when one door closes another opens![/quote

So right!! And, so many of us have been there too!! Try not to panic and try to enjoy a new possible direction. (((quilting hugs)))Skeat
Old 06-17-2009, 03:10 AM

ooh I'm sooo sooo sorry to hear that. :( :( :( I am keeping my fingers crossed that the economy picks up and you are back working again.

It is a shock for sure but I know you will get through this. In the meantime take a bit of time to recharge the batteries, do some more quilting (hey, you can make lots of beautiful scrappy quilts if you can't buy any fabrics right now.. go to www.quiltville.com and you will see all kinds of great projects!!! I'm making her crumb quilt right now and having a blast with it!!)

The poor economy has not hit us here in Newfoundland. In fact it seems quite the opposite! It seems when the rest of Canada is dealing with a recession we are prospering! The provincial government just announced a $10 billion extension to the Hibernia oil field yesterday! There are job postings everywhere and people are spending money everywhere it seems! You can go to any restaurant any time of the week and it's packed and the shopping malls are always busy. I work with the Newfoundland/Labrador Housing department with the provincial government. On the wall just on the other side of my little workstation wall here, there are 3 internal job postings that will probably go external in another week time. We are doing alot of hiring the last year or so. Come over here for work!!!!
If you worked here, we can take the lunch hour to walk to the quilt shop only a few minutes walk from here and fondle and play with all the lovely fabrics and patterns!!!

Thinking of you. Please keep us posted when something comes your way!

Cheers
Andrea
Old 06-17-2009, 03:31 AM

So sorry to hear this just remember another door will open for you hang in there
Old 06-17-2009, 05:19 AM

I'm so sorry, UpNorth. I know the feeling of total shock, I was let go at lunch time one Friday, the end of January. I am glad they gave you the month's notice though. You can get any medical, etc, taken care of beforehand! I'm still on unemployment, there's not been diddly squat available here.
Hugs to you!!
Old 06-17-2009, 07:50 AM

Been there, done that with month old baby & 5year old. Move to Texas, we would be glad to have you. It's not that bad here. Have some good friends that moved here many years ago from Michigan & they love it. Hope things will work out for you & you will be in all our prayers.
Old 06-17-2009, 07:55 AM
Power Poster

Hugs from Ireland for all of you who have lost jobs etc. I hope you all have VERY large stashes, and can at least while away a bit of time as you look for your dream jobs. As this recession bites, I have never been so glad that I am past working age, and have paid for my house. My thoughts are with you all.
Old 06-17-2009, 08:05 AM
Power Poster

Hang in there Up North, I do believe things are starting to pick up, so maybe you won't be off to long.
Old 06-17-2009, 12:41 PM

Thanks everyone! I was in a bit of a daze yesterday but I will manage. I don't have a huge stash but I have enough to keep me busy for a while. It will also give me a chance to see my grandkids without worrying about work. They are 7 hours away but will be here for a week the beginning of August. The last time I was layed off it was for 14 months.