Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Leather furniture & cat...need advise

Banned
    I don't think I would worry too much about the cat.....but we bought one of those Ashley leather blend couchs and after about 6 months we made them take it back. It started peeling and flaking even on the end where nobody sit! :thumbdown: I would get good leather.

I have real leather, and have had it since 2002, it's still beautiful, with lots of cats and kids. A few little scratches, or pin-prick "oops", but it has held up extreamly well. Would do it again.

Blog Entries
    You quilters are a wealth of information and I wished I had read this a few days ago. We just purchased what I believe is a 'real leather' set...now I hope we did :)

I was going to ask the same thing about cats...but you quilters have already answered.

Thanks - will watch for more answers.

Hey Guys well leather-online is a useful and clear-cut platform which aimed at those who wish to buy leather with the quality features.Thanks Italian tanning industry, which always guarantee high quality construction and creativeness, Leather-online offers a extensive range of products that can fulfill every need.Thanks!!
    SKY IS THE LIMIT!!

The leather/poly blends do not hold up at all. They are not "true" leather, but very thin pieces that are bonded to the poly backing. With use, the leather pieces will come off, split, crack...ask me how I know. If it is not an emergency, I'd save up more money and buy a real leather set. Yes, more expensive, but usually much better constructed.

No cats now (had cats with exhusband) so can't answer regarding damage. (We had a corduroy covered sofa and fur, not claws was a big problem). Now I have a big dog (110 lb. German Shepherd) but no couch.

Good luck with your shopping!
    Anita

The only place that housework comes before quilting is in the dictionary.

I am not a leather-furniture type gal...reminds me of 1970's frat-house. Everyone tried to talk me into the stuff. Got beautiful fabric for the living room, hubby got his leather for the man cave. I have to use a blanket or towel to sit on his couch because I cannot stand the feel of sitting on leather.

How about using claw covers? You can get them at PetSmart & probably at other pet supply stores too.
    Cathy S/Willowwind

Blog Entries
    well, i covered my ottoman because my cats love it. they are not declawed at all. If you can't cover the furniture, perhaps you can put a quilt over the back of the sofa at least.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    I have 2 fur balls & 2 Real Leather Pull out Queen Sofas ,Both cats get against the bottom edge & scoot their selfs from one end to the other with there back claws . Sofas are 3 years old & look like s--- . I really don't care as after I purchased the sofas I learned I DO NOT like the feel of leather on my skin . I must admit I enjoy the cats more than either sofa ,Good Luck on your choice . Me ,I'll go back to cloth when I replace .

We got rid of our leather, don't know if it was real or not, paid plenty. Got microfiber. Love it. I made quilted covers for the seats, arms and head rests on recliners. Even though it's easy to just toss those in the washer.

Hey Guys well leather-online is a useful and clear-cut platform which aimed at those who wish to buy leather with the quality features.Thanks Italian tanning industry, which always guarantee high quality construction and creativeness miscellaneous.Leather-online offers a extensive range of products that can fulfill every need.Thanks!!
    SKY IS THE LIMIT!!

Cat posts!!! Have several around the house. This is how we keep Kola from having her way with the corners of the furniture. Cats need places to scratch. At last count Kola has 6 placed in places she attempted to dig her claws into.
    Everyone is born right handed, only the gifted overcome it.
    I have already committed my felonies, so people don't have to worry. (Russell Means)
    I swear to you, I am guilty of only being Indian. That's why I am here. (Leonard Peltier)
    “If you can’t see a mistake from 12 feet away, it doesn’t exist, and there are no perfect quilts and that helps a lot,” .......Greg Biornstad

My daughter's cat peed in her leather chair -- the cat was attracted to some product that was used in the tanning process. I have cats and they have clawed some of my furniture - they don't seem to like the microfiber but that fabric is hard to get the cat hair off. We do have a leather chair which has some small claw marks. Don't know what the answer is!

Blog Entries
    We purchased a Best brand leather set a few years ago. I learned a lot. I was told in every store that Ashley furniture is very short lived and does not hold up, so please be aware of that. Especially if it is in a room you will be using a lot. Leather and poly blend is not leather if they are blended together. Most leather furniture is all leather in the seats, back, arm and leg area. The back side of the furniture and sometime the sides are vinyl. This is very normal.

As far as animals and leather, check your warranty if you purchase real leather. Some companies had limits or did not cover cuts and tears by animals. We have a small dog and have not had any trouble. I think with cats, it really depends on the cat. Hope this helps.
    Kathleen

Remember, people will see your quilts long after you are gone....NOT your housework!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2