Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Leather furniture & cat...need advise >

Leather furniture & cat...need advise

Leather furniture & cat...need advise

Old 05-04-2010, 05:18 PM

Rainy Day :lol: :thumbup: Men, they think they can out smart us. Not!!
Old 05-04-2010, 05:22 PM

My cat has all claws. We have "real" leather furniture, paid a fortune for it. We have a few picks, but....I bought a cloth recliner...loves, loves to sharpen his front claws on it and also on the one area rug we have (has shredded both), I should have stuck to leather. I'll never buy another cloth piece of furniture while he's here.
Old 05-06-2010, 10:26 AM
Power Poster

We have four cats - all homeless strays - all declawed - all four paws and this is exactly why. Just because I took them in and take very good care of them, doesn't mean I want to live with shredded furnishings or in a dumpy looking place. I would not have cats if I couldn't get them declawed. There are too many lies floating around about declawing cats. I wouldn't go to a Vet. that would not declaw. I can pick any kind of furniture I like.
Old 05-06-2010, 11:01 AM

If your cat will let you handle it's feet; use those claw 'caps' You can pick them up at Petsmart ect. they glue on and have to be replaced as the nail grows out, but they have a round tip . no scratching..
Old 05-08-2010, 07:31 PM
Banned

sorry I can't help. God bless and good luck. Penny
Old 05-08-2010, 07:37 PM
Banned

I don't think I would worry too much about the cat.....but we bought one of those Ashley leather blend couchs and after about 6 months we made them take it back. It started peeling and flaking even on the end where nobody sit! :thumbdown: I would get good leather.
Old 05-08-2010, 07:46 PM

I have real leather, and have had it since 2002, it's still beautiful, with lots of cats and kids. A few little scratches, or pin-prick "oops", but it has held up extreamly well. Would do it again.
Old 05-15-2011, 09:34 AM

You quilters are a wealth of information and I wished I had read this a few days ago. We just purchased what I believe is a 'real leather' set...now I hope we did :)

I was going to ask the same thing about cats...but you quilters have already answered.

Thanks - will watch for more answers.
Old 06-26-2014, 11:36 PM

Hey Guys well leather-online is a useful and clear-cut platform which aimed at those who wish to buy leather with the quality features.Thanks Italian tanning industry, which always guarantee high quality construction and creativeness, Leather-online offers a extensive range of products that can fulfill every need.Thanks!!
Old 06-27-2014, 02:49 AM

The leather/poly blends do not hold up at all. They are not "true" leather, but very thin pieces that are bonded to the poly backing. With use, the leather pieces will come off, split, crack...ask me how I know. If it is not an emergency, I'd save up more money and buy a real leather set. Yes, more expensive, but usually much better constructed.

No cats now (had cats with exhusband) so can't answer regarding damage. (We had a corduroy covered sofa and fur, not claws was a big problem). Now I have a big dog (110 lb. German Shepherd) but no couch.

Good luck with your shopping!