Little dog SYNDROM

Old 10-05-2011, 04:33 AM

I have a year old Jack Russell Terroror. I knew what I was asking for though. I think you have to be the ALPHA of the pack no matter how many dogs you have of any size. It is hard at first to DEMAND they behave and don't stay too tough for long. It's work but well worth it in the end. It takes three years to fully train a dog imho.
Old 10-05-2011, 04:34 AM

Love this conversation ------ as a breeder I concur with everything that has been said so far (even though my chosen breed is not Doxies). Each dog needs to find it's place in the world and they do this by trial and error (similar to people?) and need a bit of help getting it right when they live in a household. Of prime importance is instilling the idea that YOU are the pack leader and are not to be challenged or questioned. Allow them (in a multiple-dog household) to establish their own pecking order and things "should" run smoothly (kinda) as long as they understand who is the ultimate BOSS!
Old 10-05-2011, 04:34 AM

No help to offer, but I really have the opposite problem.
My avatar is my son's "rottenweiler". She lives with us right now because he is deployed. She was raised with a pug mix, a poodle (?), a Shitzu mix, and a chow mix, all smaller than her, and all rescued/adopted from the humane society.
She has little dog syndrome because she does not realize that at 103 lbs and over 3 feet tall, she is a BIG dog. Quite a spectacle when she wants to be my lap dog!

Good Luck,
Susan
Old 10-05-2011, 04:45 AM

I love doxies!!! I have had 5 of them in the past. I lost my last one 6 years ago when she was 14. Yours look so sweet - hmmm wonder what makes her such a terror?
Old 10-05-2011, 04:46 AM

She looks just like my Midnight and he has the LDS too. Barks like crazy, very territorial and won't let anyone sit on the sofa in "his spot." He really is sweet though especially when he looks at you with that sad face. Likes to sleep right next to me and always under the covers.
Old 10-05-2011, 04:58 AM

We have two doxies also... and they act just like brothers..they get into some pretty heavy fights, but don't let one yelp like in pain, because the other one is coming to protect him. Ours are 7 years old now. One is 21 pounds and the other one is 15 pounds. They want/need/love attention. They are our spoiled furbabies..

Our kids say we treat them better then we did them.. I said..yup...because they are always happy to see us.. you kids were not always. ROTFLMAO
Old 10-05-2011, 05:09 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Lynnejean
Your story just made me laugh! I have two dachies and they are a handful! All dachies will train you if your not careful. My female trys to get my husband to pick her up and give her kisses before he kisses me when he comes home at night. I said "NO WAY" I'm the head bitch here!! So he kisses me and then picks her up and kisses her and then picks up our male dachie and kisses him. Its a whole process we go through every day. It funny its just everyone needs to feel special.
I give the dachies night night kisses also on their heads. My male can take them or leave them but my female will cry until I give her night night kisses. I think its sweet. :-)
and yours made me laugh as well....we go through that when daddy comes home too....the doxies hear his truck and head to the back door waiting...whimpering, wiggling, waiting...they DEMAND daddy notice them first....brats...ehehhe
Old 10-05-2011, 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA
Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
......ok..so let her be top dog, but how do I stop the constant jumping up AT me??? she has been here 2months now and is just over a year old..can I toss her on her backside and show her I am TOP dog now???
Instead of "tossing" try a sharp sound such a "aht"!, very gutteral, or a loud SSSTTTT! and step toward her when she tries to jump up at you. She will have to back up and that sets her into a brain change that makes her rethink what's happening.

That sound is a natural animal thing -- like a cat's hiss -- that's a warning. It's establishes "my space", or "back off". You'll have to do it consistently, over and over, until she get it. After she approaches you appropriately, you can 'love on her', but each time she agresses you have to "warn."

You can do this with her actions to the other pets, too, if her actions are problematic. Ssssttt at her, move toward her til she moves away and then move her into a sitting or other submissive position with just your sound and movement. Then praise her when she responds. She will eventually learn it's more fun to submit than agress and be offensive.

Jan in VA
Thank you Jan. The "tossing" is so outdated. The noise and turning the body away works just fine. I fostered a couple of doxies and they can be wonderful dogs. No jumping from any dog in my house unless they are told to. And all were trained the same way. The "noise" what ever someone chooses it to be and the body turn. ( or the backing them up which ever a trainer chooses)
Old 10-05-2011, 05:16 AM

A dog trainer told us to get a prong collar - it has prongs that, when the leash is jerked by the handler, are uncomfortable. The prongs aren't sharp and can't pierce the skin, they're just not pleasant if you tug on the leash. At the same time as we yank on the collar, we loudly say 'no!'. At first we had to leave the collar on in the house because it was a reminder of who is the boss but now a simple 'no!' does the trick.... well, mostly :oops:
Old 10-05-2011, 05:28 AM

I have a doxie (avatar photo) who thinks she is a Great Dane - she will chase any other dog - the bigger the better - out of our yard.