Little dog SYNDROM

Old 10-04-2011, 06:50 PM
Banned

ok..so after losing our Golden Retriever earlier this year, you all might remember that back in July DH decided to replace her...HOWEVER, he did it with Daisy "the demon Doxie dog"...yes, you read that right....Daisy is 7 pounds of PURE terror...

I have noticed mainly that she can not stand for me to give attention to either of our other dogs. Especially not the next in line, Harley "the gutless wonder doxie"....he just cowers and lets her jump up at me OVER him...now Harley is a standard Doxie..about 23 pounds of Doxie...but he lets Daisy be TOP dog...well..SHE insists on being top dog...
I am a more than a bit annoyed with her behavior...

how does one STOP this mighty Small dog syndrom???

anyone want a DEMON dog??? who really is rather wonderful, but a bit too pushy for her own little good!

notice the look in Harleys eyes???...she just had to get infront of him for the picture...
[ATTACH=CONFIG]266476[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-266423.jpe  
Old 10-04-2011, 06:53 PM
Power Poster

That sweet face? No, I don't believe it. :)
Old 10-04-2011, 06:54 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by erstan947
That sweet face? No, I don't believe it. :)
HA..she is YOURS...ehhehe
Old 10-04-2011, 06:55 PM

Maybe the Dog Whisperer has a solution for you...
Old 10-04-2011, 07:01 PM

Tinkerbelle and your little demon dog have something in common....She snarls and growls at the labs next door as she runs up and down the fence line with them...but talks nice with Bailey, the female Husky...so we are wondering if she is flirting with the boys next door?
She would love a piece of the UPS man...and he is afraid of her. Tink doesn't like a man in uniform....none.
When my son brings his dog over...she puts him in his place right away.
But, she can be the most loving thing....knows when someone needs extra love and is very sensitive to someones pain.
Old 10-04-2011, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
how does one STOP this mighty Small dog syndrom???
You don't.

Dogs need to be allowed to work out their own pack hierarchy, try to mess with it, and you'll have a worse nightmare on your hands because the top dog will take it out on the bottom dog - not you!!

It's particularly important when the top dog is an alpha bitch. There is nothing that can stop an alpha bitch, except another alpha bitch (that would be me <g>). And the last thing you want is more than one alpha bitch in your pack. Dogs (males) will fight until one of them say's "Uncle". Alpha bitches will fight until one of them CAN'T say uncle.

Your male is actually displaying very accurate behavior for a male to a female. Yes gentlemen of the board ... in the dog world the alpha bitch is the top dog. I personally will not use a male in a breeding program that did not allow an alpha female to be alpha - it's not *natural*.

It's natures way. Let them develop their own order.

And as a side note ... it's not at all unusual for Doxies to think they are much larger than they are. There's a lot more dog in there than you think. Remember, these little dogs were bred to go into the ground and yank a badger out of a hole. Would YOU yank a badger out of a hole??? Take a LOT of dog to do that.

Enjoy her!!
Old 10-04-2011, 07:08 PM
Power Poster

Molly, my miniature poodle is the loudest dog I have ever had. She is just like a spoiled child and barks at every person, dog or cat she can find. Her favorite obsession at the moment are the squirrels. She trees them, and then they chatter as loud as they can at her. I think it just encourages her more!
Old 10-04-2011, 07:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom

And as a side note ... it's not at all unusual for Doxies to think they are much larger than they are. There's a lot more dog in there than you think. Remember, these little dogs were bred to go into the ground and yank a badger out of a hole. Would YOU yank a badger out of a hole??? Take a LOT of dog to do that.

Enjoy her!!
FUNNY you should mention Her Badger holes....they are all over my back yard...of course there are NO badgers..only little moles...but she is bound and determined she WILL get one out of there sooner or later...what a mess this little girl can be...

ok..so let her be top dog, but how do I stop the constant jumping up AT me??? she has been here 2months now and is just over a year old..can I toss her on her backside and show her I am TOP dog now???
Old 10-04-2011, 07:35 PM

The solution to her jumping would depend somewhat on WHY she is jumping at you. Is she doing it aggressively? or is she just thrilled to death to see you and is trying to get near your face to tell you so?

I totally agree with DogHouseMom. I have never had an alpha dog. My alphas have always been bitches-and I too am top alpha in my house! My boys and girls NEVER fight-the boys always say "So very sorry I looked in your direction" and turn away. You have a good boy!
Old 10-04-2011, 07:38 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
......ok..so let her be top dog, but how do I stop the constant jumping up AT me??? she has been here 2months now and is just over a year old..can I toss her on her backside and show her I am TOP dog now???
Instead of "tossing" try a sharp sound such a "aht"!, very gutteral, or a loud SSSTTTT! and step toward her when she tries to jump up at you. She will have to back up and that sets her into a brain change that makes her rethink what's happening.

That sound is a natural animal thing -- like a cat's hiss -- that's a warning. It's establishes "my space", or "back off". You'll have to do it consistently, over and over, until she get it. After she approaches you appropriately, you can 'love on her', but each time she agresses you have to "warn."

You can do this with her actions to the other pets, too, if her actions are problematic. Ssssttt at her, move toward her til she moves away and then move her into a sitting or other submissive position with just your sound and movement. Then praise her when she responds. She will eventually learn it's more fun to submit than agress and be offensive.

Jan in VA