Little dog SYNDROM

Old 10-05-2011, 05:32 AM

She's anointed herself alpha dog and you shouldn't change that pecking order or it will throw everything out of whack. The others seem to have accepted this order and it's best to just leave it along.

My smallest Borzoi was alpha dog in our house and would just pretend to nip each dog that DARED to walk past her. They knew the hierarchy in the pack and accepted this and never had any problems.
Old 10-05-2011, 05:36 AM

If you figure it out please let me know. I have a chicauha named Toby and he is a little terror but I love him.
Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
ok..so after losing our Golden Retriever earlier this year, you all might remember that back in July DH decided to replace her...HOWEVER, he did it with Daisy "the demon Doxie dog"...yes, you read that right....Daisy is 7 pounds of PURE terror...

I have noticed mainly that she can not stand for me to give attention to either of our other dogs. Especially not the next in line, Harley "the gutless wonder doxie"....he just cowers and lets her jump up at me OVER him...now Harley is a standard Doxie..about 23 pounds of Doxie...but he lets Daisy be TOP dog...well..SHE insists on being top dog...
I am a more than a bit annoyed with her behavior...

how does one STOP this mighty Small dog syndrom???

anyone want a DEMON dog??? who really is rather wonderful, but a bit too pushy for her own little good!
Old 10-05-2011, 05:44 AM

The female is the leader of most dog packs. There is an alpha male and he is the only one allowed to mate. Your little "Angel with horns" is just showing the others who is Alpha Female. She may settle down after she is fixed. Most dogs really take 2 years to mature into well behaved adults. Then we miss their puppy ways!

I have a demon dog too. She is 9 month old Willow a "Blue" Chihuahua. I can't get her potty trained!!!! Her sister (from the previous litter) was trained in 2 weeks. This one.....? Not so much! Love her anyway.
Old 10-05-2011, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
ok..so after losing our Golden Retriever earlier this year, you all might remember that back in July DH decided to replace her...HOWEVER, he did it with Daisy "the demon Doxie dog"...yes, you read that right....Daisy is 7 pounds of PURE terror...

I have noticed mainly that she can not stand for me to give attention to either of our other dogs. Especially not the next in line, Harley "the gutless wonder doxie"....he just cowers and lets her jump up at me OVER him...now Harley is a standard Doxie..about 23 pounds of Doxie...but he lets Daisy be TOP dog...well..SHE insists on being top dog...

I am a more than a bit annoyed with her behavior...

how does one STOP this mighty Small dog syndrom???

anyone want a DEMON dog??? who really is rather wonderful, but a bit too pushy for her own little good!
Nice to see someone knows about the standard size Doxie........I have one a wirehaired and people look at him and say gosh he looks like a doxie I tell them he is, just a standard size not the mini ones that everyone has. They respond oh I have never heard of a standard size. Wirehairs are kind rare also short and long hair are popular. I to have a mini doxie and he thinks he is a great dane, and a bit pushy... My standard is very gentel and the little one runs all over him.
Old 10-05-2011, 06:12 AM

Location: Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!

lay her down on her back and place him on top to show his dominance. might have to do it daily to knock her off the pedastall and teach her to play nicer
Old 10-05-2011, 06:15 AM

I found out about being the alpha by accident when I saw my neighbor's german shepard running loose. Since I knew the dog I put my infant on my hip, grabbed the dog's collar and took him to his house. Only to discover her dog was home. So I read the tag and walked the dog to his real home - a house with a fence that was over my head. The owner came out amazed that I had his 'aggressive' dog under control. Today I am more careful with strange dogs than I was. I'm not willing to take the chance.

Since then I have just assumed the alpha position with my dogs and it works.
Old 10-05-2011, 06:18 AM

Yes little dogs can display a lot of energy.
Old 10-05-2011, 07:19 AM

They'll figure it out. I have a 12yr old 6 lb Min-Pin and a 3yr old 5 lb Manchester and I found a Pit Bull pup approx. 4 or 5 mo.old who is very hyper and wants to romp and wrestle and they are in the process of letting the 40 lb puppy know he is #3 and there are rules to follow Clem has the most seniority and at 6lbs he's the big dog around here -ask him
Old 10-05-2011, 07:24 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Stitchit123
They'll figure it out. I have a 12yr old 6 lb Min-Pin and a 3yr old 5 lb Manchester and I found a Pit Bull pup approx. 4 or 5 mo.old who is very hyper and wants to romp and wrestle and they are in the process of letting the 40 lb puppy know he is #3 and there are rules to follow Clem has the most seniority and at 6lbs he's the big dog around here -ask him
I can see it now..how fun....I just love our furry kids...their personalities are so wonderful...even if they are hard for US to figure out at times!
Old 10-05-2011, 07:25 AM

She is a female so of course she is the boss!