Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Locks of Love

I donated my hair years ago. It was a 14 inch ponytail.

Blog Entries
    congrats to you for doing this.
    so, you have it in your hands. are you going to mail it someplace? my grandson now 12, grew his curly hair out several yrs ago, and then they just ended up throwing it away, i think, because they couldn't make contact with anyone to 'take it'. if i remember things correctly. But i would not tell him how to do it again, because i just did not like the long hair on him. BUT it would have made some girl very proud to have had blond curly hair.!!!!!

I had a man walk up to me in a drug store in South Florida. He offered me $500.00 for my hair. At the time it was about 3 feet long from my ears to the tip. I kindly turned him down and he said it was for his wife. She had cancer and was going through chemo and lost her hair. I told him for that amount of money he could buy her a nice wig.
    Everyone is born right handed, only the gifted overcome it.
    I have already committed my felonies, so people don't have to worry. (Russell Means)
    I swear to you, I am guilty of only being Indian. That's why I am here. (Leonard Peltier)

Quote Originally Posted by sewNso View Post
    congrats to you for doing this.
    so, you have it in your hands. are you going to mail it someplace? my grandson now 12, grew his curly hair out several yrs ago, and then they just ended up throwing it away, i think, because they couldn't make contact with anyone to 'take it'. if i remember things correctly. But i would not tell him how to do it again, because i just did not like the long hair on him. BUT it would have made some girl very proud to have had blond curly hair.!!!!!
    Yes, mailing it to Locks of Love in West Palm Beach, FL, they make wigs for kids with cancer.
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

Thank you for doing such a wonderful thing.

Pat in MN

very nice thing to do and you look very nice with your hair way it is now

My hair is soft as a babiy's hair and not very thick. I was not able to grow my hair long. I keep it short, so much easier to keep up.
    I like your hair cut. Good of you to do this.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Bless you (and the short hair looks very nice)

I just did the same thing about 3 weeks ago. This is the 3rd and last time. I am 62 and decided that I am too old to do it again. My hair grows real fast so I have to get it cut often now but with summer coming it makes it a lot easier to care for after mowing grass, working in the vegetable gardens and flower gardens, as well as living on a farm. Guess I have gotten lazy. You are so sweet to do this. I am sure someone will really appreciate it.

My granddaughter has red hair and Locks of Love told her they don't get red hair very often. So she decided to grow it and cut it several times. We are so proud of her, she is 15 now and has donated hair 4 times. She has very thick hair and when it gets long she has headaches. I wish my hair was even half as thick as hers.

Blog Entries
    I have done this several times now-and met a little girl down in Florida who had cancer-and my 18 inch cut was enough to make her a wig-such a warm feeling when you see the recipient with the same color and know it was your hair-tears were let go that day-now I grow it and send it in when there is 12 inches-got a certificate from them several times-Glad you did the same thing-Love to You too

Blog Entries
    Congratulations! A wonderful thing to do. I've never had hair long enough to do that.

Blog Entries
    KUDOS!!!
    What a charitable thing to do. Aren't quilters the nicest people?

You are providing such a treasure to those in need. My nephew did this also last year--he's 27. He wore a hat for a long time since he works at a VA hospital. Good guy!

Blog Entries
    You will be blessed for your loving act.
    "Sometimes it's OK if the only thing you did today was breathe."
    Good friends are right there with you.

Susan

I just have a little more to go and i can donate. When i did it quite a few years ago they only needed 9" now they need 10. Will have to check out the Pantene program. hadnt heard of it before.

I've never had it long enough either (or been in good enough condition). Mine is so curly tight that I resemble a cocker spaniel's ears. If it was pulled straight in goes down almost to my bra strap but let go and "poing" it's up around my collar in Shirley Temple curls.

You (and all the others that have donated) do a great kindness with your hair cuts.
    Lisa L.
    Howdies from Possum Trot (yes it does exist)
    My most recent swap - Boomerang 16

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2