Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Looking for A Nice Community to Move To - Must Have Quilters!!! >

Looking for A Nice Community to Move To - Must Have Quilters!!!

Looking for A Nice Community to Move To - Must Have Quilters!!!

Old 09-08-2013, 09:44 AM

Moved from MI. (lived there my whole life) to Johnson City, Tn. almost 30 years ago and feel very blessed to have had the opportunity to move here. We have the beauty of the mountains all around us which shelter us from the tornados that the Nashville area gets, good healthcare as East Tn. State Univ. is here and they have a College of Medicine as well as College of Pharmacy. The Veteran's also have all facilities for Veteran's if your husband happens to be a Veteran. Lots of access to Quilter's love, A Hancock Fabrics, Hobby Lobby, several Quilt stores in the area, lots of history as the town of Jonesborough, oldest town in Tn., and it is quaint with lots of interesting "spots", A Catholic Church in town as one in Kingsport, just north of us. Never saw a snake myself but I know they are around as they are a fact of nature and are everywhere. Generally much history here and lots to explore. Housing is probably "moderate", some high-end and some poorer that most. Johnson City has much to offer but most of all it has LOTS of friendy faces and helpful people, come visit us and check out the area. Good luck in finding the spot that is right for you.
Old 09-08-2013, 09:49 AM

New Mexico is nice. Santa Fe, especially, though quite pricey, I believe. Albuquerque, maybe?

Of course, I'd recommend Texas! Austin and the hill country is beautiful, the best the state has to offer. Housing is more expensive in and around Austin but it's a great city with big city amenities and a small city attitude; it would have everything on your list, I think. People who move to Austin seldom move away. East Texas is also quite beautiful if you like piney woods; Tyler, for instance, is quite lovely with beautiful older homes and fabulous gardens -- rose capital of the world! but it's a bit more humid there. Then there's the Dallas-Fort Worth area. Denton County countryside is pretty--lots of horse farms--if you're interested in a country home with a sizeable city 10-15 miles away. Great hospitals and doctors in Dallas: Baylor, Parkland (trauma center), Zale-Lipshy, with Southwestern Medical School in Dallas. Cities near Dallas are Plano, Richardson, Garland, Grapevine, Carrollton, Lewisville, and a bit farther north Highland Village, Lake Dallas, Corinth, Denton. DFW airport is nearby, major freeways, four seasons: gets hot (100 plus in July August but hey, there's AC and it's a good time to stay indoors and make quilts! or vacation in Colorado as many Texans do) and cold enough in winter to kill most of the bugs. Lots of fabric shops in the DFW area; JoAnn's is everywhere, as are Walmarts, if you buy fabric there. A few snakes -- copperheads, or water moccasins if you're near water -- but if you're in the city, I defy you to ever see a snake, except for a few harmless garden or garter snakes, perhaps. House prices much less, too; you can get a nice 3 BR, 2 BA home for $140-$200K, depending on the upgrades. Just pick your location carefully, so your home investment remains stable.

I think moving away from what has been "home" can't be easy. A few years ago a cousin (Texas born and bred but in Minnesota for years) decided to sell their wonderful custom built home in Minnesota and move south because they were so sick of the winters. They had their eye on Kentucky but finally opted to stay put; they just couldn't make the leap after all. Good luck on wherever you decide to go!

Last edited by Friday1961; 09-08-2013 at 10:03 AM.
Old 09-08-2013, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by Neesie View Post
Are you sure you don't want to move west of the Mississippi? TX does have snakes but most are harmless.
Oops! I kind of ignored her "east of the Mississippi" condition when I posted about Texas. Sorry!
Old 09-08-2013, 10:01 AM

"....but you will find the friendliest people in the US."

So true! Northerners don't always know quite to make of us when they first get here. We'll talk to you in the grocery store, whether we know you or not, and nod or speak to you on the street, and hold doors for you as we exit them, and generally behave as though we've known you most of your life. It's off putting for some folks until they get used to us.
Old 09-08-2013, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by Neesie View Post
Sharon, I've heard we're only in "severe drought" condition now. Things are improving!
I dunno. When was the last time you had rain? I'm in north central Texas and we're dry as toast. ....(not exactly a recommendation for a move here, huh? )
Old 09-08-2013, 10:40 AM

Delaware!!!! Seaford area, no sales tax, real estate taxes are about $500-700 a year. Senior benefits - price ranges $175-225 would buy you a nice house. PM me with your email and I can send you listings. Also, close to your family (within 3-4 hours).
Old 09-08-2013, 12:28 PM

If your DH or you are a veteran, there are a few states where there are really good tax breaks for vets. North Carolina, I believe charges no income tax to vets who are 50% disabled. Some states are have even better tax breaks for vets. This aspect of your move bears investigating if you qualify.
I am with you on the snakes. Never found one I liked but some perform wonderful services to mankind especially farmers. Then some are just plain deadly. The busier the place you move, the less likely you are to be impacted by snakes. AND the more likely to have great church, health care, and quilting connections. The Lincoln County area of NC is close to everything but still has that neighborly feel. 15 minutes to Mary Jo's!
Old 09-08-2013, 12:39 PM

I would suggest the Carolinas also. My sister lives there and truly loves it
Old 09-08-2013, 12:44 PM

I can't wait to hear what you decide. I'm hoping that you find just what you are looking for and love your new home, where ever you end up!
Old 09-08-2013, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by mme3924 View Post
I dunno. When was the last time you had rain? I'm in north central Texas and we're dry as toast. ....(not exactly a recommendation for a move here, huh? )
I'm just (barely) north of the So. Central TX line. It actually rained (a little), last night! The last really good rainfall was several weeks ago. Remembering a few years ago (NO rain all summer long, while high temps stayed above 100), we're doing the happy dance!