Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Looking for A Nice Community to Move To - Must Have Quilters!!! >

Looking for A Nice Community to Move To - Must Have Quilters!!!

Looking for A Nice Community to Move To - Must Have Quilters!!!

Old 09-08-2013, 02:01 PM

My husband is a retired AF MSgt--we lived all over everywhere; overseas (Okinawa, Alaska, Philippine Islands) then back to TX, ND, NC, AL, MS, SC, and back to TX 'til he retired. Then we moved on our own from TX to TN to NC and back to TN; and here we are staying. Snakes, yes but beautiful four seasons, 65 miles from Nashville and four 5-star hospitals, lots of quilt guilds, sewing circles, small town friendliness (what am I forgetting); and very well priced homes, taxes not so bad, amenities galore for retired folks (we are both retired); need I say, we love it here. Include in your internet searching, Gallatin, Brentwood, Lebanon, Crossville, Cookeville, maybe even Chattanooga and Scottsboro, AL. This has been an especially pretty green year--the mountains and hills are gorgeous, but means lots of mowing if you get a place with any size to your lot. My husband mows 3 acres EVERY week this year......Best of luck in your search. I'll be keeping up with this post.....
Old 09-08-2013, 02:18 PM

Come to Pennsylvania Yes we have snakes but the chances of you seeing them aren't that great.Famish country would be nice if you like ber rural. Any county but Allegheny cause the taxes here are ridiculous.We have quilt shops everywhere!!! Good luck in your cboice
Old 09-08-2013, 02:44 PM

Location: Back home in Louisiana for now....where next?? who knows....

the Carolina's are beautiful. North Ga. mountain area is also wonderful. Good luck deciding.
Old 09-08-2013, 03:06 PM

My top places to live are Asheville NC, Ithaca NY! I have family that lives in both areas and love each one. Both have influences from Universities, wonderful hills or mountains... and hit the items on your lists. Ithaca would be the colder off the two .
Old 09-08-2013, 06:16 PM

California is the place to be, but my heart belongs to Texas, so that is my number 1 choice.
Old 09-08-2013, 09:47 PM

One thing you could do is research lists of quilt guilds. See how many members they have and find out where they meet so you can locate conveniently. Many of them have websites, and I'll bet a lot of them have people who would respond in a friendly way to email. Here's a good starting point: http://www.quiltguilds.com/

It will be fun to see where you decide to go and to follow your progress with meeting new quilting friends. Hope you'll keep us posted.
Old 09-09-2013, 03:29 AM

Originally Posted by Krystyna View Post
Since the members of the QB are all over the country, I thought I'd toss this out to you for your ideas.
My husband and I lost our home in Long Beach, NY to Superstorm Sandy last year and after lots of consideration about rebuilding, I think we are now leaning towards selling the land and moving on.

We are looking for a nice community east of the Mississippi with a temperate climate and, of course, a lovely group of quilters and access to some fabric stores! We don't need a large house - an extra bedroom for my sewing and one for visitors would be good.

Here's our wish list:

1. NO SNAKES.. Stay out of wooded areas, and the "country". Keep the grass cut low.
2. Close to a Catholic Church. Work with a Realtor
3. Close to a decent hospital. Realtor
4. Close to grocery / drug store. Realtor
5. High speed internet available. Realtor
6. NO SNAKES Good luck
7. No hurricanes, no tornadoes. Good luck....move North of oceans. Tornadoes...no guarantee.
8. Not near anything that floods. Live on higher ground away from #16
9. 1 1/2 or two bathrooms. Realtor
10. 3 Bedrooms Realtor
11. Small yard big enough to let dogs out without fear that something will eat them. Yep, Realtor
12. NO SNAKES See # 6
13. Not a "fixer upper" -- too darn old and tired for that at this point in time. Uh huh, Realtor
14. Must have a nice porch. Guess? Realtor!
15. NO SNAKES. See # 6/12
16. It would be nice to be near a pond or stream but not one with crocs or gators. #8. Did you change your mind?
17. Not too hot. (so forget Florida). And forget MO, IL, Iowa , Ohio (i am familiar with these States)
18. Not too cold (goodbye New England). See above
19. Close to a fabric store - preferably a chain. Live in Burbs. REALTOR
20. NO SNAKES. ,.......SIGH

Got any ideas?

May i suggest a travel website? and a Realtor??. Sounds like climate/weather are your biggest goals to achieve. No Gators in the midwest. Cant guarantee "weather" ..? good luck trying!

THANKS FOR HUMORING ME!

sandy
Old 09-09-2013, 03:32 AM

Originally Posted by yel View Post
how about paducha kentucky ....at least it is on the right side of the mississippi ....

And QUILTS!!
Old 09-09-2013, 03:58 AM

I live in The Gardens RV Village, (http://www.gardensrvvillage.com/) in Crossville, TN, the ideal place to live. Although it is called an RV Village, one does not have to own an RV, We don't have one. The RV garage has become my quilting/sewing room.

Haven't seen any snakes. We have a very definite 4 seasons. Summers not to hot, very low humidity, Winters are very mild, very little snow. Falls are beautiful lots of color & the springs are just as beautiful when the trees begin their budding out. We love it here.

Click on the link above and check us out, then come for a visit. You will want to stay, we did. We moved here from Ohio 16 years ago.

There are several quilt guilds in the area, one fabric store. Our community has a club house and we have a group of quilters & crafters that meet once a week. Cookeville which is 35 miles to the west has a Hancock Fabrics & 2 quilt shops. Our largest cities close by are, Nashville, 175 miles west, Knoxville 75 miles east & we are 120 miles west of Dollywood in Pigeon Forge, TN.

What more can I say but come for a visit. See for yourself.

I forgot to mention we have 3 ponds on property.

Last edited by kuntryquilter; 09-09-2013 at 04:00 AM. Reason: addition
Old 09-09-2013, 04:11 AM

Have you visited Lancaster PA? Have most everything you wanted and NO SNAKES!!! Good luck in your search.