Making Luggage Standout

Old 06-20-2012, 07:28 AM

Use the bright address tags. The other thing you can do is make a huge design "X" or "O" on the flat side in duct tape (get the colored ones) or painters tape and mark both sides of the luggage. Do not forget to put your name and address and even your local destination on the inside of the bag. I usually make up "busines cards" on my printer and I put them in every zippered pocket. You never know what may get torn. I wouldn t buy locks. The ones that fit luggage can be popped off easier than you can put them on. They often open suitcases to inspect them and then you have no lock at all. I take some tie wraps (zip ties) in my purse and when they have opened my case I put a zip tie on them to secure them.
Old 06-20-2012, 07:29 AM

PS the kindle idea is great. I used to carry a pile of paperbacks when I took a long trip and left them when I finished them. The kindle is a whole lot easier.
Old 06-20-2012, 08:38 AM

Years ago when we traveled to Europe, we spray-painted polkadots on our luggage. Everyone knew our bags immediately and would not have touched them for anything.
Old 06-20-2012, 08:44 AM

I was going to suggest one of the new bright or decorative duck tape. It would catch on things like a strap.
Old 06-20-2012, 09:01 AM

I buy the TSA locks off Magellen.com. They have ones that have a dot that turns from green to red if they've opened your luggage. I was under the impression they had to let you know when they open your luggage. Of the times they've opened my luggage, only once did I get notification they did that. It must be about 4-5 times they never replaced the lock on my luggage so I bought some large (about 6" long) colored rubber bands at an office store and put one end on my handle and the other around the harp? of the lock close to the body of the lock. They can still open the lock and the band isn't in the way and so far the locks have not been lost. The locks I buy are about $10-20 a piece and that can get expensive replacing them. I have never lost anything out of my luggage that was opened by TSA but have heard stories of stuff disappearing. I NEVER check electronics, meds, jewlery (I don't travel with any anyway), or other things I don't want to lose.

I went to Aus back in 1990 with my son and it was a great trip! Enjoy.
Old 06-20-2012, 09:02 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

I took some of my brightly colored fabric and made 4 inch strips out of it and attached it to the handles of my luggage and tied a bow tie to each piece and then tied a knot on top of that to make sure it didn't come untied. It was so easy to spot. I still have the same fabric on each piece. And I travel quite a bit. I have gotten quite a few compliments also.
Old 06-20-2012, 10:15 AM

I use a bright colored ribbon on the handles of each piece. Easy to spot. My sister uses brightly colored shoelaces. I like the idea of painting the sides, but that doesn't work for me since I am not an artist. Locks are not allowed in the US, and if you get one that the TSA can open, not sure that is very secure either. Just make sure you don't put any valuables in your checked luggage.

If you have a hand project, crocheting, knitting, sewing that will keep you busy. Crossword puzzles, letter writing (to grandchildren or parents), books are aslo good ideas.

Last edited by Jannie; 06-20-2012 at 10:19 AM.
Old 06-20-2012, 10:16 AM

[QUOTE=Alu_Rathbone;5299829]Here's a question that I must ask!

My program is giving us bright colored tags for our luggage, but I want to take extra percautions. Should I also buy brightly colored locks?

I sewed some colorful fabric scraps together into a strip about 8 to 10" long x 2" wide .... folded and sewed the strip to 1" width ... tied the strip to the bracket to which the handle of my luggage is attached. Tightly knotted the strip several times, thus shortening the length of the strip .... Easy to spot my luggage when it comes down the carousel.
Old 06-20-2012, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by carolynjo View Post
Years ago when we traveled to Europe, we spray-painted polkadots on our luggage. Everyone knew our bags immediately and would not have touched them for anything.
I like this .... my husband painted a large white letter (an L for our last name) on the back of his luggage, easy to spot.
Old 06-20-2012, 10:20 AM

Just read your first post and not sure if this was mentioned already but when I traveled, took multicolored yarn and made a large, thick pompom and attached it to the handle. Neither the pompom nor the luggage was lost. Made mine of varigated orange yarn. Enjoy your trip.