Making Luggage Standout

Old 06-21-2012, 03:38 AM

alu, last year we travelled through Europe and Asia. Before I left home I made fabric ID tags from bright Aussie fabric. I sewed a plastic window on the front and put our name and mobile phone number on each one inside the window. We found our lugguge easily at each airport.
Yes you are right Queensland is a tropical state and is warm almost all year round. Cairns especially is hot as it is even further north. But you may still need a lightweight jacket for evenings in Brisbane for a few weeks till the really warm weather kicks in. If you are planning on travelling south while you are here, it doesn't get too warm usually till October.
If you want to come to S.A. we have a spare bed!!!
Hope you have a great time here in Australiaand make lots of friends. My daughter studied in USA and still has good friends there.
Old 06-21-2012, 05:49 AM

I knot a couple strands of brightly colored wool yarn (something thick enough to be seen from a distance) to the handle. Works for me. Enjoy your trip down under.
Old 06-21-2012, 03:14 PM

I just have hot pink polka-dot ribbons that are tied on the handles. It is stiff grosgrain ribbon so it sticks up if cut short enough.
Old 06-21-2012, 04:13 PM

I have the a couple of long selvages of a fabric that I like -- I cut them into 12" pieces and and tied them around the handles of our suitcases making them easy to spot. Instead of locks I use lime green zip ties and keep a pair of blunt scissors in a pouch of one of the suitcases that I don't lock. My reasoning -- lime green (DH did not want hot pink) zip ties are not common -- TSA uses either gray or white. The suitcases are secure, I know if someone (TSA or someone else) has gotten into them -- and when TSA is done, they use the zip ties too. TSA has opened our suitcases when we were carrying bottles of Dillatante fudge topping for DH, but don't think anyone sampled them ).
Old 06-21-2012, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by Alu_Rathbone View Post
Here's a question that I must ask!

First the reason for my question. I am leaving in August for Cairns, Australia (actual destination is Robina, Gold Coast, Australia, but my Bridging Cultures program is in Cairns). I bought black luggage, I don't know what possessed me to do this, but I did. Maybe it was the sale on the luggage. ($99 for a 5 piece set that was normally $230, I could not beat that with a stick!) I want to make my two bags stick out, any ideas of what I could make to make them stand out?

My program is giving us bright colored tags for our luggage, but I want to take extra percautions. Should I also buy brightly colored locks?

Also, any ideas for things I could do on such a long flight? Other than sleep! I already planned on that! I am also hoping to invest in a kindle, just so that I can have some books on me, and not have to lug them.
My DH travels alot and depending on where he goes the bag he takes can be olive, blue, red or black. We have bought simple ribbons and attached them to the handles-all the ribbons are the same colour so he knows which one is his regardless of the bag colour.

As for entertainment-the plane will have movies and a Kindle is great for games or reading.

Enjoy Australia-it is a most beautiful country and the people are absolutely the best. I lived there for 8 years and wish I had never left!!
Old 06-21-2012, 08:32 PM

I make colorful luggage handles for my suitcases to help me spot them quickly. And they are easier on the hands than a lot of the luggage handles are. I make them out of home deco fabric. They remove with velcro. I use them on my recyclable bags too.

When I fly I always have a crossword puzzle book (easy puzzles for quick satisfaction), a puzzle book, my ipod (which also has games on it that I can play), a paperback book, sometimes I take a hand embroidery project that I can work on while I listen to my ipod.
Old 06-21-2012, 09:22 PM

I made a wide and bright coloured ribbon from a piece of my fabric and tied it on the handle - so easy to spot amongst the sea of luggage even though there were lots of ribbons tied to other luggage mine still stood out because it was my fabric
Old 06-22-2012, 01:48 AM
BMP

Tying anything to the handles is asking for a problem, they can get caught in the belts, I bought a new piece of luggage to take to Hawaii and when we arrived my luggage was CRUSHED...the airline was nice enough to replace it on the spot but she did say the ties (even short ones like I had on mine) get caught in the belts and that is probably what happened. Like I posted earlier I bought the straps that go around the luggage and buckle, I have used these the last few trips without any problems, I do however like the idea of stenciling something which I may do for our next trip !!
Old 06-22-2012, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by Mrs B View Post
alu, last year we travelled through Europe and Asia. Before I left home I made fabric ID tags from bright Aussie fabric. I sewed a plastic window on the front and put our name and mobile phone number on each one inside the window. We found our lugguge easily at each airport.
Yes you are right Queensland is a tropical state and is warm almost all year round. Cairns especially is hot as it is even further north. But you may still need a lightweight jacket for evenings in Brisbane for a few weeks till the really warm weather kicks in. If you are planning on travelling south while you are here, it doesn't get too warm usually till October.
If you want to come to S.A. we have a spare bed!!!
Hope you have a great time here in Australiaand make lots of friends. My daughter studied in USA and still has good friends there.
I'm hoping to travel a bit! Thank you!

Thank you to all of you who have given ideas! I really like the stenciling idea a lot. I might tie something on my handles or I might just wrap the handles. My program will be giving us bright tags to put on our handles prior to leaving... but even that will be hard to discern!

Mom's teaching me to crochet, so I might take that with me. I'm getting a coloring book, some stain glass sheets taht I can color with a marker and a notebook to write in.
Old 06-22-2012, 06:29 PM

On my plain wine colored luggage, I attached decorator tape (like duct tape, but in bright colors) all around my luggage. It's easy to spot as soon as it comes out on the baggage belt. I use bright sunshine yellow!!