Manners?

Old 08-24-2011, 05:02 AM

I always say thank you and taught my children and grandchildren to say thank you. It's sad so many children have not been taught manners.
Old 08-24-2011, 05:03 AM

Absolutely! It bothers me that manners are going out of style, but I certainly am not going to join that group! Please and thank you are automatic responses for me.
Old 08-24-2011, 05:10 AM

I sure do, and I was pleased to see my grandaughter teaching her 3 yr old to say please and thank you.
Old 08-24-2011, 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by orangeroom
Just taking a poll. Do you say "Thank you" to someone ahead of you if they hold the door open for you?

I teach my children to say it. However, we've noticed that very few people say "Thank you" these days.
Sure do and thank you for asking, Ma'am. Both Hubby and I taught our children to use all their manners - please, thank you, pardon, excuse me, etc. etc.

Even now that they are have grown, left the nest and have little ones of their own, they continue to use their manners and are teaching their children to use them.

I don't know what has happened to folks now-a-days but, I find a good majority of them to be down and out RUDE :twisted: :twisted:
Old 08-24-2011, 05:16 AM

I sure do!! Taught my children and the grands to be as polite. Mother raised us well!! I have noticed that it tickels the little children when they can hold the door open for others and strangers. You give them a smile and a thank you...you just made their day!:-)
Old 08-24-2011, 05:17 AM

I was not fortunate enough to have someone teach me "manners", but I read about it, and watched other people as they went about their day. After I was grown, I made sure that my children use proper gramar and proper manners. They still call their elders Mr. or Mrs, and say please, and thank you.
Along the line of proper manners, one of my BIG bugaboos is that many people do not respect our flag or pay attention to the national anthem. This, I was taught in school, but it doesn't seem to be a priority these days. It saddens me that people no longer place their hand over their heart in salute to the flag, or when people fail to face the flag when the national anthem is being played.
nanac
Old 08-24-2011, 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by nanac
I was not fortunate enough to have someone teach me "manners", but I read about it, and watched other people as they went about their day. After I was grown, I made sure that my children use proper gramar and proper manners. They still call their elders Mr. or Mrs, and say please, and thank you.
Along the line of proper manners, one of my BIG bugaboos is that many people do not respect our flag or pay attention to the national anthem. This, I was taught in school, but it doesn't seem to be a priority these days. It saddens me that people no longer place their hand over their heart in salute to the flag, or when people fail to face the flag when the national anthem is being played.
nanac
You have to be a good and big hearted person inside to have picked up this on your own. And I agree whole heartedly with you about our Anthem and Flag....Whatever happened to the days of old where respect was a normal daily factor!! :(
Old 08-24-2011, 05:48 AM

You say "thank you" if you have manners. My mother and father taught me and my brother from the very beginning and I passed it on to my children. To this day, (and my kids are 30 and 23) I get complements on how well-mannered they are. Seems to me that being polite should be a given. Nowadays, people notice more when you are using manners because it's almost unusual. Sad.
Old 08-24-2011, 05:50 AM

Always and taught my 2 sons to do the same
Old 08-24-2011, 05:52 AM

Our youth now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for their elders and love chatter in place of exercise; they no longer rise when elders enter the room; they contradict their parents, chatter before company; gobble up their food and tyrannize their teachers.

If you recognize this quote & who said it, you will also realize that sometimes the perception of something hasn't changed in all the years either.