Manners?

Old 08-28-2011, 10:18 AM
OB

I do and it is interesting to see the responsse you receive from some people who are not expecting it :-D
Old 08-28-2011, 11:37 AM

I hold doors for people all the time and if I don't get a Thank You back .. I put a smile on my face and say
"You're Welcome." I get some funny looks, but it usually embarrasses them enough to say Thank You.

It just gripes me how rude people are getting.

I say Thank You all the time... Geesh... how hard it that?
Old 08-28-2011, 12:20 PM

Yes My whole family does.
Old 08-28-2011, 01:48 PM

I always do. And I hold the door open, too.
I held it open for an elderly lady and she was totally surprised. She smiled then said that it had been a long time since someone had shown that kind of respect. How sad is that?
Old 08-28-2011, 02:27 PM

I've noticed that it's mainly women my age (50's) who never say thank you. We usually get a very nasty look like we're going to rob them or something if we hold a door etc.... I once picked up a woman's credit card that she dropped on the ground and when I went to hand it to her she snatched out of my hand. I seriously thought she was going to hit me!

I teach middle schoolers who are more polite than most adults.
Old 08-30-2011, 02:12 AM

Yes I do. It amazes me how many people don't have manners any longer. I also say excuse me when walking in front of someone when they're looking at something. We have custody of a granddaughter, she uses the same manners. People are amazed that she has such "nice manners." I wish you could have been in the subdivision we just moved from last Friday. I've never seen such rude, unmannered children in my life. They'd come to our home at 8 a.m. and tell me they can stay for lunch, invite themself to dinner, etc. I finally had to tell them it's not polite to invite yourself to dinner.

They'd constantly ask to have dinner with us, go places with us, pick up the phone and listen in while I was on the phone. That really ticked me off. For the first time in my life I went to a parent about this. Unbelievable manners.
Old 08-30-2011, 02:19 AM

Originally Posted by luv2so
Yes I do. It amazes me how many people don't have manners any longer. I also say excuse me when walking in front of someone when they're looking at something. We have custody of a granddaughter, she uses the same manners. People are amazed that she has such "nice manners." I wish you could have been in the subdivision we just moved from last Friday. I've never seen such rude, unmannered children in my life. They'd come to our home at 8 a.m. and tell me they can stay for lunch, invite themself to dinner, etc. I finally had to tell them it's not polite to invite yourself to dinner.

They'd constantly ask to have dinner with us, go places with us, pick up the phone and listen in while I was on the phone. That really ticked me off. For the first time in my life I went to a parent about this. Unbelievable manners.
I, too, say excuse me when there's not ample space to walk behind someone, and I have to walk in front of them. To those children who say they can stay for lunch, I'd say "No. You are going to eat lunch at your home." Have you ever set a kitchen timer for the length that these 'visitors' can stay? Might not be a bad idea. That way they start to realize that their time with you is limited when they come to play.

Where I work, I'm in contact with a lot of younger children. One of them yesterday kept saying "Hey" to get my attention. I kept telling him my name what my name was or if he wanted to, he could just say nurse instead of hey. He didn't get the hint, neither did any of the adults in the room.
Old 09-28-2011, 07:53 AM

yes, we do, plus "have a good day!"