Manners?

Old 08-24-2011, 06:53 PM

Yes. Always. Here in the South we also say a lot of "Yes and no, ma'ams and sirs." If you don't, your mom will pull your ear. ">)
Originally Posted by orangeroom
Just taking a poll. Do you say "Thank you" to someone ahead of you if they hold the door open for you?

I teach my children to say it. However, we've noticed that very few people say "Thank you" these days.
Old 08-24-2011, 06:55 PM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

I always say "Thank you". I would feel ever so strange if I didn't!
Old 08-24-2011, 07:03 PM

Yes and so does the rest of my family.

We just had a weekend with my extended family. One of my granddaughters was there. She was the only kid that was well behaved. She's two but she knows please and thank you.

My granddaughters always thank the person who made the meal and ask to be excused from the table too.
Old 08-24-2011, 07:12 PM

I say "thank you" and when I hold the door for someone else when they blaze right through with no thnk you I say to them "You're welcome" with a smile. :thumbup:

piney
Old 08-24-2011, 07:21 PM

Yes always. My husband needs assistance with doors (he has a walker) and we've been pleasantly surprised with how many people have helped him if I'm not there. And he smiles and gives them a hearty "thank you". And sometimes he even gets a "you're welcome"!
Old 08-24-2011, 07:24 PM

Yes!
Thank you
Good morning
Have a good day

and just SMILE along with it.

What ever simple words of acknowedgement don't hurt a bit, and sometimes people are totally surprized when they are used - I don't think we hear them enough.
Old 08-24-2011, 07:45 PM

Naturally. And I usually get a thank you if I hold the door for others.
Old 08-24-2011, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by litacats
funny you should ask that tonight.
I was at chicken treat and the young girl serving upset the man next to me because she didn't say thank you for his order or thank you when he paid for his meal. when ever she should have said thank you he said it for her (sarcasticly) it just went right over her head, he complained about the lack of manners in young people today. I must admit I said something to him to the affect that it is the person that trained her that should have taught her better but then the buck doesn't stop there why didn't her parents teach her manners. it doesn't cost a thing to be polite and people respect you more for being polite.
Seems to me that he wasn't very mannerly himself. When I waitressed (many years ago), I remember many people expecting courtesy when they weren't giving it. That's been going on since time began and will go on until time ends.

What you said is true, it doesn't cost anything to be polite and respect people. However, as a young person on the job, I would have respected him far more if he said gently said something like this as he was paying the check:

"You know, you'll get bigger tips if you say thank you to your customers while you're waiting on them."

He gets his irritation out and she learns something. Nobody loses.

But to answer the question, yes, I say please, thank you, you're welcome, can I help you, etc. Taught my kids the same, and my grands are learning manners, too. But the best way to teach anyone a desired behavior is by example. If you're mannerly, your kids will be, too.
Old 08-24-2011, 08:10 PM

Yes! My daughter is a education major and went to a week long class this summer and manners in classroom was one of the topics. The speaker said it has been proven that teaching manners and using good manners in the classroom makes better students and they seem to do better in and outside the classroom. So our mothers were right (again) when they were teaching us, at a young age to say Thank you and Please.
Old 08-24-2011, 09:32 PM

Thank you, please, eye contact and so on. We teach our chldren this who many times hold the door for strangers who fail to notice because their too busy on, 'me'. we are complimented on our kids often mostly by our senior populatio who recognize it. A little respect and manners go a long way. Proof in the pudding. Our oldest son was to d a mock interview for school last year. Because of his manners and composure he was the only one out of over 100 kids who got an A and all who interviewed him listed him first choice to work for their company- talk about a real boost for manners