Manners?

Old 08-24-2011, 04:18 PM

count me in as a yes...
Old 08-24-2011, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by redkimba
Our youth now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for their elders and love chatter in place of exercise; they no longer rise when elders enter the room; they contradict their parents, chatter before company; gobble up their food and tyrannize their teachers.

If you recognize this quote & who said it, you will also realize that sometimes the perception of something hasn't changed in all the years either.
I recognize the quotation because I had a classical education not because I was a contemporary.
:-P :-P :-P :-P :-P :-P
Old 08-24-2011, 04:33 PM

I have always said thank you and my son has been trained to do the same, of course he is expected to hold the door open for anyone older than him.
I have always heard from his teachers that he is very well mannered.
But funny thing, in my house no one starts eating until everyone is seated and served. Several of my son's friend have never heard of this. In my house the idea is that the no one eats before the cook (who did all the work) eats.
Old 08-24-2011, 04:49 PM
Power Poster

well all I can say is GREAT. i didn't know manners were still a good thing in society. Glad I'm wrong. :thumbup:
Old 08-24-2011, 05:02 PM
Banned

I always say Thank You, and put a Ma'am or Sir after a yes or no no matter what. I still open the car door for my wife after 26 years of marriage, hold the door open for her and if there is another family or group coming in with females. I even help folks out at the grocery if they can reach something or help the little old ladies put their groceries in the car if its hot of raining. Sometimes moms will have their hands full trying to get the kids in the car and I will help them by taking the basket back to the cart holder or picking up heavy items to put in their trunk or back of the SUV.

I am a firm believer in the morals and values that were in place in the 50's and that is how I live my life.

Billy
Old 08-24-2011, 05:25 PM

Yes, we say please, thank you, yes mam, yes sir...and all the others, we have noticed this too.
Old 08-24-2011, 05:35 PM

Always. Seems like not many people bother to hold the door open anymore though.
Old 08-24-2011, 05:46 PM

gosh yes, wouldnt even think not to. say thank you for everything/anything done for me. bring me a menu, ring my groceries, clear my plates, ring up anything -

also, if the next person behind me in a line only has 1 or 2 items they're holding I always let them ahead of me (If I have a bunch of stuff) - to the people behind us it shouldn't matter, theyre behind us both no matter what order we're in.

when we travel always pull all the sheets, and used towels and leave them by the door inside the rm. put all the papers / mess in the garbage and tie it up and leave it by the linens, and leave a $ on the bed w/ Thanks written on it.

eating out I always bus the table (pile all the dishes and wipe the table w/ a napkin)

I HATE being called "mam" and I HATE people waiting on me. I am not an invalid, nor a slob and can clean up after myself. Cleaning up after people who don't even acknowledge you exsist is a thankless job, and waiting on people who think you're their personal slave thru the course of a meal is just plain lousey. You have to feed your family, pay your bills, and work is work, but I hope that when people in these jobs have to deal with me they know I see them and they can take a little break cus I gave them some breathing room. sharet
Old 08-24-2011, 06:06 PM

Always, so does hubby
Old 08-24-2011, 06:30 PM

I do. I taught my children manners! I hate when I go to a drive thru or a restaurant and I say thank you and they say YOUR WELCOME! They should say "thank you" back! OK, I'll get off my soap box now.