Manners?

Old 08-23-2011, 01:11 PM

My husband and I both do, now our grandson does too.
Old 08-23-2011, 01:27 PM

I do. I appreciate it when someone holds the door for me and when I open the door, I will often hold it open for someone else!
Old 08-23-2011, 01:37 PM
MCH

How about the announcer at an NFL game stating that if there are bad manners in the stands, drunkedness, or fights (we won't mention that some folks bring guns to the games), the game will be suspended and the home team will be fined $1 million and if there are any points on the board for the home team, they will be revoked. Then, and only the, will the game resume.

If you're interested in why I say this, find a sports story about the SF 49er's / Raiders' game at Candlestick Park this last week-end. Ugly times.

Or, look up what happened to a fan after the SF Giants / LA Dogers game earlier this year.

I find it ironic that folks complain and moan about how violent pro hockey games are. I go to 20 - 25 SJ Sharks hockey games every year...and I've yet to see or hear ANYTHING that resembles what's happening at NFL and MLB games.

Oh, wait...once the parking lot at the venue for the Sharks game was strewn with broken beer bottles and other sorts of debris left by slobs. All of that was there because the night before there had been one of those miserable and disgusting caged fights at the arena.

And San Francisco is so much about "peace". Not so much, folks.
Old 08-23-2011, 01:37 PM

I am so proud to write that all four of my grandsons ranging in age from 2-1/2 to 11 say please and thank you without prompting.
Old 08-23-2011, 03:31 PM

Yes I do and I taught my sons as well. There is no excuse for bad manners.
Old 08-23-2011, 03:39 PM

Yes, DH and I both say 'thank you' and also LOOK at the person with a smile. Around here sometimes it's hard to get in or out of a place for people holding the doors for each other! :lol:

If you stop to think about it, it's not a good idea to answer poor manners with sarcasm, such as the loud "Thank you!" or "You're Welcome!" for more than one reason--first, we don't know if the offending party is preoccupied, stressed, worried, or just ignorant. Should we judge? Second, sarcasm doesn't teach anything but resentment; will it teach manners? Not at all. The final reason to omit the sarcastic remark is basic manners. Yes, one of the most basic rules of good manners is to take no notice of the poor manners of others. Teaching/correcting of adults, teens should be in private.
Old 08-23-2011, 04:16 PM

Yes, of course. And if someone thanks me for holding the door for them, I say "You are welcome".
Old 08-23-2011, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by Greenheron
Yes, DH and I both say 'thank you' and also LOOK at the person with a smile. Around here sometimes it's hard to get in or out of a place for people holding the doors for each other! :lol:

If you stop to think about it, it's not a good idea to answer poor manners with sarcasm, such as the loud "Thank you!" or "You're Welcome!" for more than one reason--first, we don't know if the offending party is preoccupied, stressed, worried, or just ignorant. Should we judge? Second, sarcasm doesn't teach anything but resentment; will it teach manners? Not at all. The final reason to omit the sarcastic remark is basic manners. Yes, one of the most basic rules of good manners is to take no notice of the poor manners of others. Teaching/correcting of adults, teens should be in private.
Amen, amen, amen. There's about one or two days every month (I'm sure you all know what I'm talking about) when I have to forcibly remind myself to either chill out or avoid leaving the house. ;) But I do agree that meeting rudeness with sarcasm is not the most polite method of displaying good manners.
Old 08-23-2011, 06:01 PM

Yes we do! I say thank you to pretty much everyone :)
Old 08-23-2011, 06:09 PM

I always do and have taught my kids to do the same. They, in turn are working of the grands.