Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
March 2012 Weight Loss Adventure With A Prize! >

March 2012 Weight Loss Adventure With A Prize!

March 2012 Weight Loss Adventure With A Prize!

Old 03-12-2012, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by jlwheart View Post
Hi all, I've been thinking of letting of of half & half in my coffee and using 1% milk instead. Just the thought of it makes me ache. Oh I do love cream in my coffee! Deciding factor is how strongly I feel - I've learned the more I feel I can't give up something, the more I have to give it up. So coffee w/o cream it is. Cleaned off work table in my sewing room so now I can get a water bottle carrier cut out and sewn this week. Still have to embroider my fleece baby blankets. Probably on the last of my salad mix. Tonite it's going into bean & cheese tacos.
I LOVE having cream, yes full cream, in my tea with a little sugar. I am off of all of that. I did have a cup of tea with cream and sugar Christmas day and Thanksgiving day. I'm getting used to just drinking it black. I have probably 3-6 cups of hot tea a day. Most of those used to have cream and sugar in them
I have been basically off of sugar since Thanksgiving, with just a tiny bit here and there. I have not really had any cravings for sweet stuff and have been able to avoid even girl scout cookies (I did have one thin mint when I was visiting my mom a couple weeks ago, that's one cookie, not one box)
I was really good yesterday and at our church luncheon avoided the chips, all deserts and anything with sugar. I only had Caesar Salad, carrot sticks, some pinto beans that I brought and a small bowl of Lentil and ham soup. Passed up so many things that I would have eaten before.
I had half a dozen people tell me that I look like I have lost weight. Taken off about 25 so far. Maybe more. I will not give out another loss total until I go to my doctor next week.
Connie, your batiks are so yummy looking, would rather have that than cookies any day!!!!!
I am finally getting my FQ out in today's mail. I'm sorry. I will try to be much better next month!!!!!
I could live with 138 lbs too!!! (ok, make that ecstatic) My mother said I should get back to my weight I was in High School! REALLY???!!!!! I am 51, have 4 kids, and am 5'8 1/2". I weighed 113 lbs when I met my DH. I even wore a size 9-10 then. You could easily grab my hip bones!!!!! I do have a large bone structure and if I got down to my HS weight I would be on death's door. I would love to find my hip bones but don't need to have them sticking out. I would be happy to be under 200!!!!!

My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!
Old 03-12-2012, 12:50 PM

Gayle, it sounds like we are or should be about the same size. I am 5' 8 3/4". When I was in hs I weighed about 125. I was super thin with my hips and ribs showing but still wore a size 10/12. I am 54 and have 3 kids. I just got below 200 last week. WW says my healthy weight should be between 135 & 169. I can't imagine 135; 169 will be enough of a challenge.
Old 03-12-2012, 01:18 PM

Connie I am just drooling looking at your batik drawer. I love batiks, and the bright ones are my favorite. Even if I go into the LQS to buy non batiks I seem to come out with batiks.
I don't remember being that skinny in high school either. I am 5'6" and have 4 kids. I am 54. I weighed 127 3 days before my daughter was born. I ate pretty much anything I wanted in high school and college. IN college I also drank quite a bit of beer too. We ate fast food all the time etc. I'm not sure how I did it. I did use to jog 2 or 3 miles 3 times a week. MY knees can't do that any more. I used to have 5 or 10 pounds I played with. Not any more. MY goal is to be below 200 by the end of the school year. I was 226 on Saturday. It is a reachable goal.
I rarely drink Diet Coke. I pretty much gave it up years ago. I can't drink coffee or tea. I was sleepy and needed some caffeine. It was also my treat. It was my first Diet Coke in about a month. I am back on the wagon today and eating healthy. I guess I had a moment(day) of temporary insanity on Saturday.
Old 03-12-2012, 01:59 PM

I would be very happy to weigh 250 by the middle of April!!!!!!
I figure that if I get under 200 by October I will be one very happy camper. Any more than that will be icing on the cake, so to speak!! (no cake or icing for me right now!!)

My doctor just wants me to try and get under 200. I have been over that for 18 years now. If I can get lower, fantastic!! But when I moved to where I live now I weighted 198 and wore size 16 jeans. I can be happy with that. At least that is "normal" size clothes.
My Ortho wants me to lose weight because of my knees. I will eventually have to replace the right knee and he says it would be much much better to get weight off first.

My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!

Last edited by Jim's Gem; 03-12-2012 at 02:01 PM.
Old 03-12-2012, 02:39 PM

Hey guys! I am still alive and kicking just busy like a mad woman!! I am still losing and doing well. I am at 357 now. Not a big change in the last few months but such as life when we plateau, no? I am doing more exercise which feels good but I just wish I would wake up one day and weigh 200 pounds! Not likely. LOL!

I am taking pictures of myself every month on the 17th to see my progress. It is amazing when we go back and look at old pictures and see that we are not like that anymore.

I pray for all of you.

I hope you guys forgive me for dropping off the planet the last few months. I will post more often, I promise!

Here are my before and current pictures.

Missy
Attached Thumbnails 550-pounds.jpg   2.17.12.jpg  
Old 03-12-2012, 04:19 PM

Connie, sent you a PM but forgot to tell you how much I envy your FQ stash. Mine moved downstairs when Mom came to visit and I haven't got it re-organized yet. But then I hate to cut them so most of the time they sit looking at me.
Old 03-12-2012, 07:40 PM
mim

Missy -- You look great !! Awesome change

Mim
Old 03-12-2012, 07:44 PM

The batik drawer is wonderful. I don't know which I admire more - the batiks or the organization. No, I do know. Not having the batiks won't effect my life, but if I don't get more organized, that will. Body clutter/house clutter are related in my case.

I need to stay away from the computer. Every time I sit down here, I get sleepy. and I have things to do. I do want to go to eBay and find a car charger for my phone. I got bawled out today by my youngest daughter for not having my cell phone turned on when I was snowed in without power. I'll look for a Nook USB cable, too. My second daughter bought me a Nook reader for Christmas, but no cable because she assumed everyone has WI-FI. I really don't want it, but I want it to be useable if I'm going to have it. The girls say just go to the library to use the WI-FI. I think that kind of defeats the purpose of having the Nook. If I go to the library, I can get a lovely hard copy book.

I have sewing yellow blocks together. someday this quilt will be done.

Have a good evening and a healthy eating day tomorrow.
Old 03-12-2012, 07:45 PM

Hi everyone, I havent' been on for a few days & just got caught up reading.

Nice to see you Missy! What progress you have made!

I gave up cream/milk in my coffee on one of my WW endeavors & don't miss it at all. Easier & one less thing to buy. I went to that fish fry on Friday & that was the absolute only option (other than not eating!). So, I'll just call that my feast day. One small consolation was that they were running low so we had children's portions! I did well the rest of the weekend which included going to the Laker/Celtics game (GO LAKERS!). Weekends are hard for me too. Just seems to be a lot more activities to eat (&drink) at.

Irishrose, you must be very intuitive because my quilt is going to my daughter's BFF named Megan!! My jaw dropped when I read what you wrote!

Jim'sGem - any plans to go the the quilt show in Burbank this weekend? I was hoping to go on Fri but that isn't going to work for me, nor is Saturday as I am having a houseful for dinner to celebrate my husband's Bday. I may go Sunday afternoon.
Old 03-12-2012, 07:47 PM

This has been such a good month! I have been staying with my Lenten observations and dropped 3 pounds last week! Boy, was I surprised! Then Thursday I fell off the treadmill, yes, really!, so that cut my workout time short. Today after exercising I had shin splints. They hurt like the dickens.

Does anyone have experience with shin splints and can give advice?

I have had something really cool happen. Women's World magazine is looking for people willing to try their diets for a week. I emailed them and they picked me, and they are paying me $25 per day for 7 days to diligently follow their specific diet. I cannot give you the details of the diet, that is proprietary, but I can say that they still need dieters. Go to

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Womans...5390574?ref=ts
and it will give you all the sign-up details.
They pay people for 7-day diets and 3-day diets. You have to weigh in each day, write down what you eat and send them email every day. At the end of the 7 days they send you money! I was so thrilled to be chosen.

I'll tell more next week, after I am allowed to talk about my experience.