Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
March 2012 Weight Loss Adventure With A Prize! >

March 2012 Weight Loss Adventure With A Prize!

March 2012 Weight Loss Adventure With A Prize!

Old 03-27-2012, 10:11 AM

Hi all. I had a great time at family's baby shower. I was able to make & take lemon bars but not eat and came home with empty pan. Forgot to take a pic of baby blanket I made. Mom, my niece, was so surprised. She told me colors but didn't say she used polka dots and my blanket was polka dots in exact shades she used.
I was really late, and then told them I headed south to Mpls from Duluth, got gas in Cloquet and then drove back to Duluth. So added extra 1/2 hr to my travels. I don't think they'll let me live that one down.
This week no wt loss. I wonder if it's cause I was sitting so much with driving to/from cities on Sat and then totally worn out on Sun so all I did was sleep & eat.
Looking forward to healthy eating and more exercising this week. No problem staying away from Easter treats as I don't buy any and don't have it around. It was a huge revelation for me once when I realized if I didn't buy it I didn't eat it and since I live alone no one else but me brings junk into my place. So no more buying stuff that's not on my plan. I too follow OA's meditations books and work their program. It's saved my life! Hope everyone has a really wonderfully healthy week.
Old 03-27-2012, 11:03 AM

everose, Congratulations on meeting one of your goals. I'm sorry your daughter doesn't share your joy. That's surprising as she obviously is not overweight. Don't compare your weight loss to your husband's. His body doesn't have hormones preparing to save a baby's life if you don't eat during pregnancy - a carrryover from caveman days when food wasn't always regularly available. The aggravating thing about that is that it doesn't stop with menopause and I don't think it stops with uterus removal. I don't know about a complete hysterectomy as many of the hormones are made in the ovaries. I've never had either, so I don't need to know.

Pam, someone gave me a chocolate bunny for my birthday, but I will pass it on to a young friend. What you are saying is that I can't buy the bags of little pecan clusters. Okay. I have only having my 4 dark Dove chocolates a day since I told Nancia I would stop eating more than that. I am so surprised, but it's a pleasant surprise. So I can have ice cream today - guess what I don't want any today. I am losing the extra pounds this week and I want to keep it up. I did earn my gold star this week. One temptation - a 86 degree day and a craving for a caramel frappe, but I was 'good' and resisted. Thank you for doing this. Whether we earn our star each week or not, it does raise our awareness.

Jean, it's nice when our work is appreciated. How gratifying that you chose the 'right' colors and print. I have a daughter who would be late for a similar reason. She IS blonde and that's all I'm going to say. Don't tell her I said that - she hates blonde jokes.

nancia, I'm sure there's a book on that quilt. Are you planning on winning April's FQs? Go for it, girl. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/157...QA1VEHNKTW00RG#_

My tutoree has switched to Tuesday for soccer season, so I need to get moving here.

I AM losing weight and getting healthier.
Judy
Old 03-27-2012, 02:00 PM

Yes Nancia Ricky Tims does have a book. I plan on buying it. IN the book he make several with curved cuts. I would love to do one of those. I have been in a mood to make different quilts. These are very different. It takes 4 fat quarters. YOu cut them in strips of different widths. Sew them together and turn it and cut strips again.I have never done one because I thought they were difficult. It was one of the easiest quilt i have made. Some people had fabric that I didn't like at all but they all came out really neat. I will try to post a tutorial
Everose congratulations on reaching one of your goals.
Old 03-27-2012, 07:11 PM

Mean, I would LOVE to see a tute on the convergence quilts. I love those quilts, geometric really attracts my eye.
Judy, you are doing great. Send the little Easter bunny to me, I love their little ears!
Ever-Congrats big time on your size 9 fit. I haven't been that size since high school and it would be a wondrous thing. I'm excited because I can squeeze into size 24s.

I don't think a 240 cholesterol is a biggie either, my niece's is 970! That is a big deal. We are allergic to the statin series of medicines, it paralyzes our legs. I'm not going there again. Right now I am out of the wheelchair, I'll be damned if I'm going to voluntarily go back so my doctor can win another vacation in the Bahamas. You should see how much the statin companies rebate doctors that dispense these prescriptions. Shameful.

I'm back on the WW diet, with some modifications. I haven't been paid yet but I sent an email today politely asking when I should expect a check. I need new eyeglasses and that is my fund.

A friend gave me a link for bi-focals under $100, even with transition lenses. She bought hers there and is very happy so I will order as soon as I get the money in my hot little hands.
http://www.goggles4u.com/

Keep on working hard, it does pay off, if not in pounds then in peace of mind.
Old 03-27-2012, 10:04 PM

No, MJ, I am not doing well to the point where I think I'm not going to sign up for April. I can't keep posting the same weight - just up and down around it. How I do the next few days will make me decide.

Are you getting new frames online? Or just lenses put in your glasses? I know what I want, but I do like to try them on. Do you want me to ask my daughter about this place? She quoted me a price of $210 for bifocal sunglasses - $85 for single vision. I didn't ask if that was in new frames or ones I have here. I do like one of the $4.95 frames on that site. That price sounds weird when frames are so much more. 130mm is a little large for me, but even the expensive ones are coming in that way - no more choices of sizes. The frame comes in one size - period.

I saw the curved Convergence quilts when I previewed the book on Amazon. Love them, but right now my heart belongs to a curved Log Cabin when I get caught up here, then the straight Convergence like Jean's.

Another day of controlled chocolate and controlled eating. I've added something that may be helping. If my weight starts dropping, I'll share with you all.

I AM losing weight and getting healthier.
Old 03-28-2012, 07:32 AM

I am getting the entire set online. I had my eye doctor measure the PD, that was the only thing not on the glasses prescription. At the eye doctor's office the frames started at $70, so this is a much better price. I now have known 5 people personally that used this place and all are happy with the product. I am going to risk it because my total cost is less than one supper meal at Olive Garden, when I include the gas for the 100 mile round trip. If they are not usable for me I will donate them to the Lion's Club and go locally.

Not my preference but I'm willing to take a risk.

Judy, I sent you a PM.

Nanci, glad to see you posting again.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:28 AM
mim

Thanks for the link purplemem -- I saved it to my hard drive because I can see another change coming when I get back to Maine next month.

Mim
Originally Posted by purplemem View Post
A friend gave me a link for bi-focals under $100, even with transition lenses. She bought hers there and is very happy so I will order as soon as I get the money in my hot little hands.
http://www.goggles4u.com/

Keep on working hard, it does pay off, if not in pounds then in peace of mind.
Old 03-29-2012, 04:51 PM

Hi Everyone! I did not fall off the face of the earth! I went to FL last week with my husband on business & came home to a hectic week! We are leaving tomorrow again to camp at the beach for my daughter's spring break so lots to do.

It took me awhile to read through & catch up on everyone. Love the quilts Meanmom- especially the convergerce one. The colors on both are great! I am the only person I know that doesn't like massages. I have had a few & they are not for me. I go on a girl's trip with friends every year & they all love spa day. They usually all get various types of massages & I usually go for a pedicure.

It looks like we have had a lot of people losing. I didn't gain in FL so that was good enough for me! I hope to do the same next week at the beach.

I won't be back until the 4th, so I hope I don't miss sign ups for next month. I'll try to check from my phone.
Old 03-29-2012, 05:14 PM

I am having a rough day. My foot has been really painful. I saw my podiatrist on Monday and we have scheduled surgery for the 17th of April. After surgery he says I cannot walk on it for 4 weeks. That is going to be really tough. We did talk about his trying to fashion some kind of boot that I can put some weight on without it affecting the heel.
I ran a couple of short errands on Tuesday and My foot has been killing me since. I lost it today. I am not a weeper, I wonder if I am PMS but when the Pharmacy said they did not have record of requesting my Anti-inflammatory from my Dr, (which on Tuesday they said they had but had not heard) I burst out crying. They faxed over the request right away and I will try again tomorrow to pick it up. I have been crying on and off since (about 5 hours ago) I think I am just worn down from the pain in my foot. I had to cancel some errands I wanted to run and had to cancel my apt with the Nutritionist this afternoon. My Podiatrist office happened to call right after I limped in the door from the Pharmacy and I cried on the phone. She put the Dr. on and he was concerned because I am always smiling and happy. He's going to send me a RX from some Vicodin. I have some left from my knee surgery. I will also probably go in on Monday and he's going to "cast" it (temporary, removable) to get my by until surgery.
This weekend will be "interesting" We have a rehearsal and dinner on Friday and a Wedding on Saturday (my DH is the officiating Pastor) I can't wear my tennies with a nice dress. I won't be wearing dress shoes, that's for sure, but I don't know how I will do in my sandals. I just better not burst into tears from the pain then!!!!!
Didn't get to weigh in today at the Endo's office (where the Nutritionist has her classes) I think I am up slightly over last week. Another reason to think that I may be PMS.
Ok, so much for the whining! Cheese anyone????
I have some gals showing up here in about 45 min for a Bible study. I have cried off all my makeup but I have no desire to walk up my stairs to redo it. Fortunately I don't have "black eyes", it's just gone!!!! I'm rolling around the place on my sewing chair (except my door into the bathroom is so narrow it doesn't fit)
I have so much I wanted to get done before surgery, not sure I can get any of it done!!!
Hope everyone is have a much better day than I am.

My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!
Old 03-29-2012, 06:33 PM

Jim's Gem - my heart and prayers go out to you. It doesn't matter how positive we usually are - when we hurt we whine. (Yes to the cheese, but I need to look for crackers that are low carbs.)

The most important thing is to TAKE CARE OF YOU. That is both physically and mentally. Little steps. If you can't get it all done, it's okay.

I'm sending some good thoughts your way.