Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
March 2012 Weight Loss Adventure With A Prize! >

March 2012 Weight Loss Adventure With A Prize!

March 2012 Weight Loss Adventure With A Prize!

Old 03-29-2012, 07:38 PM

You're not whining - you're letting us know what's going on in your life because we care about you. I know I said it before, but a wheelchair can be a heaven sent at times like this. If your doctor writes a script, your insurance will pay for it. You can start with the crutches now as long as the front of 'bad' foot can touch the floor if your balance is good otherwise. A rolling walker is a help, too. There's nothing wrong with starting with the assistive devices now as long as you are working toward getting rid of them. I'm sorry you are going through this. I can relate. I'm planning on not having Easter dinner here because it's just too long on my feet to prepare it all alone. I wish your surgery was sooner than April 17th.

Ah, MaggieMay, no weight loss here, but I am certainly healthier than I was a year ago so for now, I'll settle for that. It's maddening when I'm eating right. Sounds you are having a good time. I do like massages. I have a certificate for one I received as a Christmas gift that I want to have soon.

My seam ripper has become way too familiar. I made the second quilt in vertical strips. I sewed 1 to 2, then sewed 3 to other side of 1. Grr. The machine had slipped down to tiny stitches so it came out very slowly. When it was freed, I laid down 3 and then sewed 4 to 2. Grrr, again. At least that row came out more easily, but I still lost hours of time. It's finished and pressed now waiting for the first one to be done so that means I have to finish the applique. I am so out of practice on that.

I also am doing a quiltalong that I don't like my choice of fabrics, so I keep ripping that, too. I hardly use a seam ripper under normal circumstances.

I had a lovely, though chilly, walk and a nice dinner of roast pork and fresh asparagus so I should be good to go for a while.

Good thoughts going out to all of you and some for me, too.

Eat healthy, keep moving and drink your water.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:22 PM

I love massages!! I have a great friend, who also does my hair (and will not let me pay for the weave she gives me) I went to her when she was still in Massage school and while in school the charge for a 50 min massage was $33. She will not let me pay her over $35 and she usually spends about 80-90 min with me. I have some pretty bad knots in my shoulders and so I have yet to have a "relaxing" massage. She works on those spots and sometimes it is not fun, but I know it is helping me. Because she will not charge me for my hair I feel I can go to her frequently for massages cause at least I can pay her a fraction of what she charges most everyone else. I had one a week ago and am scheduled for Wednesday.
I had to take a second dose of Vicodin at 7. It is now 11 an am heading off to bed. I'm hoping that I can just take some X-strength Tylenol to help me sleep. Looks like I will be hanging around the house tomorrow until we go to the Rehearsal and dinner. Please, I hope my foot is a little better tomorrow!!!!!
It is so hard to think that I might need a wheel chair. I have used one several times for quilt shows and such (at least 5 shows now my friends have had to push me) but I still could walk a little, just not all day.
Tomorrow I have to finish the last quarter of hand sewing the binding and get the label sewn on the quilt and toss it in the washer and dryer so it is ready to give to them Saturday. They will be going back to Norway so the quilt needs to be done so they can ship it with their other stuff. I have another wedding in 2 weeks, that quilt is sandwiched but not quilted yet. I suppose I can work on it tomorrow too while I sit here!!!
Good night all!

My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!
Old 03-29-2012, 11:00 PM

I have been in a wheelchair enough and then out that it doesn't bother me when I know it's temporary. Think of it as an aid to healing. I was able to work in a wheelchair for six months for two different times. The kids were so cute. When I spent my time in kindergarten daily, the students begged to push me if we left the room. A 5th grade student left his classroom early at the end of day to see if I needed anything done.

The applique is finished and the quilt front is one piece. Now it's on to borders so I feel like I'm getting somewhere. I may have to put it aside. I never finished a wedding quilt last summer because I wanted to enlarge. the bride and groom will be home April 15. If I have the quilt done, i won't have to mail it - besides, it's time. That one I do like so it will be more a pleasure to work on. Jewel Box with a black background. I will be learning how to do a piano key border with mitered corners for each of the quilts. I have so much to learn, but so far it's been fun.

Goodnight, all.
Old 03-30-2012, 02:48 PM

Gayle so sorry to hear your foot is so bad. It is awful to have sore feet. As much as I am sure you hate surgery it sounds like it is time. I would just wear my gym shoes with a dress if your feet are that bad. Wearing dress shoes would be too painful I wear gym shoes to work every day. I work in a school. They talked last year about not letting us wear gym shoes any more. I had my doctor write me a note saying I have plantar fasiatis (cant spell) and need to wear gym shoes. They never passed the rule. ZGood luck with the surgery. If you don't get it fixed you will just suffer with it for years.
My pinwheel quilt has that cornerstone block because I didn't feel like mitering the corners with the piano key borders. It seemed like too much trouble at the time. Weight loss was going pretty good this month but I have messed it up this week.
Old 03-30-2012, 04:21 PM

Hello ladies,

this month has been so crazy for me. They have been offering overtime at work so I have been taking it. It is finally slowing down at work. I need some down time.

Last week I took my first tshirt quilt class. I am excited to see how it turns out. I have been asked to do a tshirt quilt. I really like this instructor, she is not your typical in the box teacher. She doesnt do all square quilts, very interesting. I went to the thrift store to get my tshirts for this class. it is gonna be interesting to see the final quilt.

I will be posting the new link here soon tonight.

Have a good weekend and spend some time quilting.
Old 03-30-2012, 04:25 PM

Here is the link to sign up for April.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/general...ml#post5103433

Keep up all the good work.
Old 04-01-2012, 09:01 PM

Hi! I'm new and hoping to find some other friends into quilting here or around the Dallas, TX area. I want to start my first quilt this year. I could also stand to lose some weight, so I accept the challenge. Maybe this will motivate me to stop eating chocolate. NOT! ha ha
Old 04-01-2012, 10:06 PM

lessinmydress, you need to go to the site linked above to sign up for this month's challenge. This is the end of last month's. You'll be welcome in April's challenge, just pop over and do it.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:08 AM

The winner for March is blondeslave. Congrats with your weight loss.
Old 04-05-2012, 02:20 PM

Congratulations Blondslave!!! Well Done!
Do we get to know how many #'s she lost? Please?

My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!