Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
March 2012 Weight Loss Adventure With A Prize! >

March 2012 Weight Loss Adventure With A Prize!

March 2012 Weight Loss Adventure With A Prize!

Old 03-15-2012, 07:27 AM

nancia, how exciting to have a new machine. Which model did you choose? I like the name Ashley, though to me it is a feminine name except when watching Gone With the Wind. Of course. I like Laura, too - my 4th daughter's name. I am getting behind on several blocks of the month, so I'll pass on the mug rug swap, but it sounds like fun. Too bad because I've got scraps all around.

I put the ties in a Prayers and Squares quilt at a meeting last night. Another repetitous job, but it goes better when you have company. Besides the woman helping me likes doing it - have at it, girl. I'd rather do the piecing. We chose a quilt for the bazaar. Now I need to do the binding on the prayer quilt.

I am losing weight and getting healthier. What are you doing just for yourself today? I think I'll stop downtown and go through one of the new shops. I tend to go to only Meijer's and the LQS. Another possibility is a walk without the dogs. How about you?
Old 03-15-2012, 08:31 AM

What am I doing for myself today? Well, I am cleaning my house & going to the dentist! Exciting, huh?! Tomorrow I have a big day out with a friend. There is a once a year consignment sale at a warehouse in town so we are going to check that out then head to Camarillo to pick up my friend's daughter, have lunch & maybe check out the outlets, then up to Carpinteria to meet the birthday girl I made the quilt for & buy her a legal drink. I wish my daughter could join us but she has midterms this week & can't make it home. I will wave to you Jim'sGem on our way through Camarillo!

I beleive those are called "cookies" on your computer, Irishrose. When you search for something or visit a site & then ads & similar things show up becuase you computer "knows" (for lack of a better technical term!) where you have been. My virus protection clears them up every week with a scan. I am fairly computer illiterate, but I think that is how it works.

Nice job on the 5 lb Buslady & 3 lb Pam H.

Reading all of the underwear talk, I just bought several pair. I love the Jockey hi-cuts & they are so expensive- even at the Jockey store at the outlet. I found 5 pr at Ross for $3 each.

I weighed myself this morning & am down another 1.5 lbs. YAY!! I'll take it!
Old 03-15-2012, 09:44 AM

Maggiemay ! You're going to be in my town and you did not arrange a meet!! Well!!!!! At least you are hitting the outlets on a weekday. Those of us who live here know better than to go over there on a weekend!!!!! One of these days if you are up here again (or if you have some time tomorrow) we can meet for coffee or tea or something!
Today I am going grocery shopping at the base with my two daughters and my granddaughter. We will have to take 2 cars with the baby. I go out there every 3-4 weeks. I find that I save a lot of money shopping for groceries on the base. DD#1, mother of Naomi, is in the reserves. DD#3 does not have a military ID any more and we only let her go with us occasionally. Her husband works for the Navy as an Engineer but is not in the Navy.
I imagine that my Foot will be killing me by the time I get home.
Yesterday I was quilting a quilt that is a wedding gift for the 31'st. Unfortunately I got part of the backing folded up into the quilting. It was along the edge and I stupidly cut it close to the stitching thinking I could pull out the threads easier than the decorative stitching. Well, now I have a cut and a small hole in the backing that I somehow need to fix. I put it off for this afternoon cause I was so mad at myself last night for doing something so stupid. I will probably still have to take out the decorative stitching. It's about 10" worth, but now I have to patch the backing!

My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!
Old 03-15-2012, 02:10 PM

Mj thanks for the info on the Womens WOrld diet link. I emailed them and have also been chosen to do their diet. I am supposed to start on Monday. I just printed everything out and will need to fax it in. It would sure be nice to lose 10 pounds in a week like they claim I can. I will have to grocery shop before I start as my refrigerator is pretty bare right now. I have been trying to clean out the leftovers in the refrig and my freezer.
Everyone keep up the good work. I am going to a new quilt guild meeting tonight. I have been going to one 22 miles away that I really like. The retreat is next weekend. THe new guild is about 2 miles away. I didn't even know it existed.
Old 03-15-2012, 03:30 PM

I had a fun day. First I met a friend for brunch. I decided to stop at the consignment store to ask some questions about the quilt show next week. There were a group of women hand quilting a quilt. There was a empty chair so I sat down and the woman next to me showed me what to do. Now I have a sore finger! Next thurs I will need to drive to Georgetown again to take my quilt for the quilt show so I will stop in for another quilting session and I will be bringing a thimble.
Old 03-15-2012, 05:16 PM

Greetings everyone!!! I made it - I helped at a funeral at the church today, and you know the lunches and deserts. I looked at them for 3 hours and just kept on walking. I was so proud of myself, knew that if I started it would be bad news.

We had a beautiful day today, so after the funeral I got Mom outside for awhile. Tomorrow is supposed to be nicer so I think we will go out in the wheelchair.

Talked to our daughte today, she might come home for the weekend. WOW!!! Can't wait to see her. We have been storing Mom's furniture and we need to sell - give whatever. Meg might take some back with her. She has only asked about it twice so I think it is time to get rid of it and save the money for her pills and such.

I'm hoping the scale is better to me tomorrow because I was so good today, but we never know.

Have a great evening!

Di

P.S. I think one of the best things about loosing weight is that my underwear fits better.

Old 03-16-2012, 10:10 PM

It looks like we all took the day off. Nothing special going on here other than our strange weather - 30 degrees or more above average. I'm not going to uncover my perennials or rake my lawn. It's strange to go walking with no jacket and walk next to waist high snowbanks. Moira wanted to go into the woods because the snowbank that was blocking the path has melted, but there is still pretty deep snow in the trees and I didn't have on boots. My boots I ordered after Christmas arrived today - in +74 degree weather when they are -40degree boots. Talk about a backorder.

Time for myself?? I stopped downtown after I delivered my friend from dialysis. I chose the antique store. Oh, oh. The older I get, the more I like old things, especially glassware. If my birthday money had been with me, I'd own some pink depression glass. That has always called my name and the store had a wonderful assortment. My birthday money is earmarked for my annual flowers which are much more important than glassware I'd trouble finding a place for. I did come home with one piece that is not vintage so it wasn't too much. Not gorgeous like the real stuff, but pretty enough. Now the dining room looks like Spring. Put away the red mercury glass candleholders and put out the pink covered candy dish. Works for me.

My weight isn't going down. I still can't eat anything but soft food so I am eating too much because my body is looking for crunch. I guess I'd better call the dentist Monday. I have resisted Dairy Queen with the nice weather so I deserve a gold star there. I didn't even use my BOGO birthday coupon.

Our Saturday weighers should check in tomorrow so I won't be talking to myself. Have a great Saturday, everyone.
Old 03-17-2012, 12:49 AM

Good morning, all!
I am loving this WWorld diet and it is working for me. The exercise part is not going as well, I'll see my heart/lung doc Monday and see if we can have some modifications. However, I am so much more aware of the volume of food I was eating and I like the feeling of being SMALLER.

I will weigh in the morning and try to post what I have done this week. I know I am down at least 4 pounds now.

Diet trick of the week? Try eating parsley as a seasoning as much as you can. Parsley is a natural diuretic and will help rid you of fluid. I have also tried Ken's Light Salad Dressings this week (not before) and found they are quite delicious and have very few calories. This is important for me as I like my salad greens to swim across the plate.

Another tip I can share: Pick a fruit with lots of texture, like an apple for your fruit servings. It will be much more satisfying when it has crunch and fiber.

Keep on moving, it is the glue that keeps everything in your body going.

For those who have chronic feet problems, I send my love and sympathy. I am so sorry for your pain.
Old 03-17-2012, 02:47 AM

It looks as though it will be a beautiful weekend. I am so tempted to take the plants outside I brought in for the winter but I guess I'll wait-we have been known to get snow in March. I hope everyone is doing well this month. I lost another 1.8 pounds at yesterday's weigh in for a total of 7.8 so far this month. So easy to put it on so hard to take it off. I e-mailed Woman's World but just got a generic e-mail back so I guess they aren't choosing me. Good luck to those that got in.
Old 03-17-2012, 04:34 AM

MJ glad to hear your WW diet is going well. I got in and am starting on Monday. It sounds pretty good. I hav emailed them my questions. I am looking forward to a good loss. THe money would be good too. MY quilt retreat is next weekend and I am sure I will spend a ton.
I will miss my WW weigh in today. I am working at the school carnival all day. I need to be there by 9 to finish set up and hope to be home by 7. It is fun but a long tiring day. I hope I can stay out of the junk food there. I have packed my lunch and snacks. With a few carefully selected treats to try to keep me out of the really bad stuff. I did do 35 minutes on the elliptical this morning.
Everyone keep up the good work.
Pat