Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
March 2012 Weight Loss Adventure With A Prize! >

March 2012 Weight Loss Adventure With A Prize!

March 2012 Weight Loss Adventure With A Prize!

Old 03-02-2012, 08:14 AM

Irishrose, I love the quilt. Black and white fabrics are special to me for some reason. Looking in the closet is the same. Going to have to look through my stach and scraps. What pattern is it?

Eating has been going okay. But realized this morning that with the medication I am taking, I will always crave sweets and such. I did treat myself to a cupcake the other day. Wasn't as good as it looked - dry - through the other one out. I have been eating more cauliflower, cabbage, broccolie and radishes. Read an article that says we should have these as snacks and eat something every 2 - 2 1/2 hours. We need something in our stomach so that it is always working. So now snacking on veggies and fruit. Hoping to get into my single diget slacks in March.
Old 03-02-2012, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by meanmom View Post
Mj, I have recently fallen in love with cooked spinach. I don't like the canned or frozen stuff. I take the fresh spinach and chop it up. I either cook a little onion, peppers and garlic in cooking spray then add the spinach when it is cooked. Only takes a few minutes. The other way we like it is a little high in sodium but good. Toast some sesame seeds. Cook fresh spinach when done add a little soy sauce and a few drops of sesame oil. YUM! Any other suggestions of ways to cook other greens would be appreciated.

I have really enjoyed throwing spinach in my scrambled eggs for breakfast. I cook up about 2 T chopped onion, 2 T chopped red, yellow or orange bell pepper, small amount of broccoli that I have blanched, Then I throw in some spinach, fresh chopped or frozen chopped. I then add about 1-2 oz cubed ham, the low fat stuff and 2 eggs. I top it all off on my plate with about 1/2 cup of fresh salsa! So good I don't get hungry for hours and I get in lots of veggies first thing in the morning. I just started putting some Chia seeds on top of it all. I have heard that they are the new "super food".

My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!
Old 03-02-2012, 01:11 PM

Spinach is one of my favorite foods. I chop up a handful and toss it in my chicken noodle soup right before I'm done heating it up. Gives it more flavor.
Old 03-02-2012, 01:41 PM

I just had spinach this am for breakfast. I sauteed some mushrooms, added a big handful of spinach until it wilted, poured in a beaten egg, covered it until it set up, put some goat cheese crumbles on , folded it omelet style- yum!

I took my car in for service, dropped it off, walked 3/4 miles to the post office & back & it was done. Got my car taken care of & got a walk in. I have a miserable cold, so I was proud of myself that I even did that! That being said, I think I'll go lay down for a bit...
Old 03-02-2012, 03:07 PM

When I joined for March I focused on a goal of moving more but didn't include a goal to lose 10#. So I'm going to do whatever I can to lose 10# this month. I don't know about everyone but I'm getting really, really tired of carrying around excess weight. With your support I know this is doable. Also, I want to get 1 UFO off my list and out the door. Today, I'll keep it siimple and finish 1 project. Hope to hear from folks on their goals for this month!
Old 03-02-2012, 04:06 PM

jlwheart, great idea. My goal is to exercise more. I lost the 10# last month but didn't get a lot of exercise in - so now I pledge to get more exercise. Whether it's walking stairs, dancing to the music or whatever.

Will have to get some spinach as you have been talking about it. All of like it, so something different. Am on my 3rd bag of dried beans though. Must say I have learned to enjoy them with salsa and alfredo sauce.

I also have been making sure that I get at least 6 - 8 glasses of water. Have a thing I do every time I drink a glass - this way I really know how much I am drinking.

Cold and snowy here - so have a great weekend. I have to give blood early tomorrow morning. My test will be to walk past the treats and not have any diet pop. Oh, why did I say I would give blood? Yes, for a little while I will have lost 1#. And I'm helping someone who needs it. Positive thinking - we can do this!!!!!!
Old 03-02-2012, 04:42 PM

These are great spinach ideas and I love the idea of more exercise.
I made the spinach sauce like Ruby Tuesday. Basically make a low cal white sauce using low fat chicken broth instead of water and minimal flour/butter, then add drained chopped spinach (canned was good), then add 1 c low fat sour cream and 2 ounces diet cream cheese. Oh yes, add 1/2 tsp of nutmeg, salt and pepper to season. Was absolutely delicious over my fish last night and I'm eating the leftovers tonight.

I bought the Timex pedometer watch from Amazon, but I saw it at Walmart too. It makes more aware of the steps I take but it doesn't count accurately. You program in your weight and height and it figures your miles by your arm swing. Hmm, doesn't work for me because a lot of the time I'm holding on to something for support. It also has a function to track units or calories, I can't get that to work right. so, do I recommend this watch for $50, nope. But I love the idea. This was a freebie for me bcs I had birthday gift certs, wish I had used them better but at least it tells time and makes me more mindful of my steps.

We can all do this. Remember: Failure to have a plan for your goal is just wishful thinking.
Old 03-02-2012, 08:50 PM

Welcome, Buslady. We've talked before - about a New Home treadle downstate neither of us picked up, plus I think you did get the Vertical Feed I found in Traverse City and also about a Singer buttonholer you had. Call me when you are up this way for work and I'll meet you for coffee - or tea for me. You are less than 150 miles away.

Everose - single digits?? That's quite a goal. Gabrielle saw a picture of a quilt and duplicated it. It probably is a Square in a Square. That was the easier one I could get her to agree to.

My goal for March? To lose 2 1/2 pounds. To sew my little heart out. To have my dentist return my call to fix the hole in my mouth. I don't think any dentist works in Cadillac on Friday which is ridiculous. The nerve in my back acted up so I couldn't go out walking. It's hard to walk in snow and ice with only one leg working and now the plow just came through. The wet, heavy snow clumps at the end of the drive are thigh high and we have 12-18 inches with winds coming overnight. My son is in the state and coming to take me to dinner for my b'day tomorrow, but it's a 75 mile trip. Hmm? We'll see. Oh, oh, I just watched the news. Sheriff Dep'ts are closing roads so it's not worth getting a ticket to travel. All of this is nothing compared with the loss of lives and homes in the tornado areas. Prayers for all of you in harm's way.

I am losing weight and getting healthier. Ah, too many carbs today. Comfort food?? Spinach does sound good. I use it in crustless quiche and soups a lot. Also lightly steamed with garlic.
Old 03-03-2012, 04:53 AM

THanks for all the spinach ideas. I have a huge bag in the refrigerator that needs to be eaten up. I got tired of salads so I will need to cook it. The Ruby Tuesday copycat recipe sounds good. I do chop spinach up and stick it in things. My DH claims to not like cooked spinach but doesn't seem to notice it in dishes.
We had some awful storms here yesterday. Several tornados. Luckily the storm that went past here didn't have a tornado in it. My heart and prayers go out to everyone who suffered damage.
Old 03-03-2012, 09:21 AM
mim

I'm still with you all -- altho I know that I won't do too well this month -- we are on holiday in sunny San Diego -- we needed some after a winter in rainy Olympia. -- I'm trying to do a lot off walking on the beach every day
Mim