Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: masculine and feminine colors?

Power Poster

masculine and feminine colors?

does anyone know why some colors are considered "masculine" and other colors are considered "feminine"?

i know that some colors were associated with wealth because of the cost of the dyes.

Are there masculine and feminine colours in 2018? ...... soon to be 2019?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

I don't have a good answer for you, but I think that masculine/feminine colors are different in different parts of the world. For instance, the blue for boys and pink for girls is reversed in some European countries (maybe used to be). Big question, a sociologist could probably explain

Good question, Bearisgray. I don't have an answer, but our local Crisis Pregnancy Center is having a real problem lately with new mothers. Absolutely no pinks, yellows, light greens,... and no flowers, even blue ones, for boys! So I am making blue, tan, brown, dark green quilts for them. Good thing I have SABLE... (Stash accumulation Beyond Life Expectancy)--- many times over!

Moms of girls are ok with blues though. Go figure!

I read somewhere that newborns only see in black and white, so when my nieces were born, I made quilts in black and white with a pop of red. I think red is a great color for both boys and girls. My nephew requested gray for his going-to-college quilt. He loves what I made but I of course think it's a bit dull!

I don't believe in them.....much. But there are color trends. Remember the burnt orange craze in the late 60's or the avocado green and harvest gold appliances of the early 60's and all of the earth tones in our clothing? We have trends in popularity of colors or color palates. I am ready to gag on gray, but it is what is popular now. I think that male or female choice of color is becoming more blurred. Oh, of course we have some dudes who like dark blues, browns or hunting plaids but they are discovering pastels, blends like turquoise and prints. And in like manner we have females who are just crazy about soft pastels, ruffles and shabby chic. When choosing colors for a quilt for some one I know, I consider what colors I see them wearing. For those I do not know or your basic donation quilt, I take advantage of my own creativity and make what appeals to my eye. I have fun with it. Also in the mix is what is in my stash. I do have a pretty good one but it is not endless or what would be considered.....SABLE! OK that is my two cents for today!

Blog Entries
    Recently the lines between male and female are being blurred.

I'd rather match the color to the person. There was some sort of a program about 30 years ago that did that. They held up swatches of color to the complexion of the person and I thought that really worked for me. If I remember correctly, my ruddy complexion requires a light blue or an apricot.

Quote Originally Posted by SillySusan View Post
    Good question, Bearisgray. I don't have an answer, but our local Crisis Pregnancy Center is having a real problem lately with new mothers. Absolutely no pinks, yellows, light greens,... and no flowers, even blue ones, for boys! So I am making blue, tan, brown, dark green quilts for them. Good thing I have SABLE... (Stash accumulation Beyond Life Expectancy)--- many times over!

Moms of girls are ok with blues though. Go figure!

not unusual....quilt fabric buyers are the same way....but considering that Crisis Pregnancy recipients are choosy about recieving free quilts is concerning.....there are bigger issues that a small flower on a baby quilt...IMHO. My husband is not choosy..he is not worried about a flower!
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome 3160 QVC/ Janome 1100D serger, Juki 2020 Mini
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

Blog Entries
    I really don't think this applies much into todays world. If you look at men's' dress shirts you will see that they are any color from lavenders, pinks, teals. You can find any color today in men's fashions. So if you want to do something for a man like a quilt just do it in his favorite color and you should be alright.

Quote Originally Posted by Battle Axe View Post

I'd rather match the color to the person. There was some sort of a program about 30 years ago that did that. They held up swatches of color to the complexion of the person and I thought that really worked for me. If I remember correctly, my ruddy complexion requires a light blue or an apricot.
    I remember having my "color" done. It seemed to make a difference in clothing. Bet I have that color swatch card somewhere.

I don't have an answer to the question, but I must say it bugs me that pink is for girls and blue is for boys. My favorite color is blue.
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandygirl View Post
    not unusual....quilt fabric buyers are the same way....but considering that Crisis Pregnancy recipients are choosy about recieving free quilts is concerning.....there are bigger issues that a small flower on a baby quilt...IMHO. My husband is not choosy..he is not worried about a flower!
    I doubt that is coming from recipients, it sounds like a strong opinion from someone on staff.

It's true that babies can't see colors at first. I've noticed a huge wave of gray these days in home decor, fabric, etc. I never liked it but I'm starting to. In fact we painted some of our walls in gray tones and it's so peaceful!
    When I was little my Mom dressed me in blue a lot because of my eyes and it's still my favorite color to wear. I also love red on most people.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Boston1954 View Post
    I don't have an answer to the question, but I must say it bugs me that pink is for girls and blue is for boys. My favorite color is blue.
    I agree, always wondered why girls can wear blue but boys can't wear pink. Same thing goes for toys, a boy is a sissy if he wants to pay with his sisters toys but a girl can play with her brothers with no problem. Some rules are just sillly.
    Happy Quilting
    Judy in Lower Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by toverly View Post
    I remember having my "color" done. It seemed to make a difference in clothing. Bet I have that color swatch card somewhere.
    After I did this, shopping (a dreaded job for me) got so much easier. Flattering colors (the right shades pinks, blues, greens near my face) gray & grayed navy replaced black as basic colors for me. I get compliments I never got before. I’m going to gift our daughter with this service because it’s making a come back.

Quote Originally Posted by Battle Axe View Post

I believe that program was Color Me Beautiful. I had it done and it does make a difference. My colors were in the autumn spectrum.
    Margaret

"If the devil could dance in empty pockets, he'd have a ball in mine."

Life is a coin. You can spend it any way you wish but you can only spend it once.

Blog Entries
    blues, browns and grays are most men's favorites. but then, not all men may love those.

Blog Entries
    Agreed, my DH sleeps under whatever I put on our bed. And, last week it was bright pink and orange and white. This week it's purple, aqua and white. Flowers and all!

But, I whole heartedly agree on the "pickiness". I would have and am grateful for every handmade item. Regardless of medium or fabric choice. I choose to revel in the talent and the love a gift was given.

That being said, you can't go wrong in blues, greens, reds, browns, grays and blacks for boys. I have at least 2 men in my family that love orange. And, it looks fantastic with gray. Maybe try for fabric in solids, geometrics or texture prints like chambray. (Connecting Threads has a great collection of Chambray fabrics.https://www.connectingthreads.com/fa...y-tonals/c/391) I'm not affiliated with them. I just like the texture prints. There's also some fantastic grunge prints out there now also.
    Last edited by Judith1005; 12-13-2018 at 01:38 PM.
    My little shinning stars. Brantley, Kaylynn, and Emmalee
    https://www.quiltinaday.com/eleanora...nontheFarm.asp

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by judykay View Post
    I agree, always wondered why girls can wear blue but boys can't wear pink. Same thing goes for toys, a boy is a sissy if he wants to pay with his sisters toys but a girl can play with her brothers with no problem. Some rules are just sillly.
    My grandson has/had several pink plaid shirts. It's true the pink was more the supporting color in the shirts. But, they look awesome on him. He has loved the color pink since he was just a toddler. He's 6 now. And, has several pink "Cars" cars. But, he also loves the color green and the color yellow. Oh, and he's a blonde with blue eyes if that makes a difference.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieLou View Post
    I believe that program was Color Me Beautiful. I had it done and it does make a difference. My colors were in the autumn spectrum.
    This is hilarious. I had mine done when I was 16 or 17. I'm in the Winter jewel tone colors.

My Grandsons are more traditional. Of course Girlfriends and Wives are trying to change them. They still like blues, browns, greens as main colors. For men's quilts I usually leave out the flowers unless they are married. My Husband doesn't care. It doesn't make a difference with me since most quilts are used at home.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

This was my first thought.....shouldn't these recipients be grateful for whatever they receive?

Quote Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts View Post
    I doubt that is coming from recipients, it sounds like a strong opinion from someone on staff.
    No, actually the staff would prefer if the boy babies' moms were not so set on the color and/or flower issue. The staff has to dig through a lot of quilts to find one they will accept. This is much more trouble for them when the mom won't accept a high chair or stroller because it may have a flower decal. In fact, many moms decide to do without the item if it has the color or object they don't like.... And, of course, it is their right to do so. We are only trying to help. And, of course, we will continue to do so.
    Last edited by SillySusan; 12-13-2018 at 05:36 PM.

Blog Entries
    I saw a grown man in a pastel pink winter jacket the other day. Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I thought he looked ridiculous.
    Create something beautiful from scraps.

Quote Originally Posted by SillySusan View Post
    No, actually the staff would prefer if the boy babies' moms were not so set on the color and/or flower issue. The staff has to dig through a lot of quilts to find one they will accept. This is much more trouble for them when the mom won't accept a high chair or stroller because it may have a flower decal. In fact, many moms decide to do without the item if it has the color or object they don't like.... And, of course, it is their right to do so. We are only trying to help. And, of course, we will continue to do so.
    That's really sad!
    We didn't realize we were making memories, we just knew we were having fun. ~ Winnie the Pooh ~

1912 World's Rotary Treadle (White Company), 1942 Singer 66-16, 1952 Pfaff 130-6, 1954 Singer 15-91, 1956 Singer 201-2

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast