Masks

Old 09-05-2021, 11:13 AM

I made masks when the commercial ones weren't available. Hope I never have to make another mask. It was too much like sewing clothes.
Old 09-05-2021, 11:22 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
Most of my family are in the medical field. The masks, if not medical grade and worn correctly, will only keep the bigger droplets of air borne stuff out. It will not keep the virus from getting past the mask. People need to told something that makes them feel safer and wearing a mask does that.
but if everyone wears one correctly I understand it reduces risk. Nothing will eliminate risk. I think from your postings you are anti establishment? Or anti current establishment? I follow some folks on You tube I think similar in beliefs.

as far as colds go no one I know who usually had gotten colds has had any kind of sickness since wearing masks. And it is our effort to try and not inadvertently give the virus to some unsuspecting soul who doesn’t believe they help. Non mask wears could be asymptomatic carriers and pass it along.

As far as all your medical relatives - the dreaded main stream media has a lot of postings from different medical professionals who wear masks all day in surgery and such and have not had any dire consequences. No CO2 poisoning. No extra colds. At least from all the ones I see. Of course there are outliers and folks will do what it takes to validate their own beliefs. I guess I am doing that. Many of my relatives are in hard sciences with advanced degrees so I like to listen to them.
Old 09-05-2021, 12:02 PM

We wore out the masks I made and I got a good bargain on a box of disposable masks at my doctor's office. I have been thinking about making some more masks for my DH and myself. I have so many family members who won't get the vaccine and I miss seeing my grandkids and greats.
Old 09-05-2021, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
I never made any masks. I no longer wear them. Only wore as long as the store required them. Now I would just go to a different store. I spend very little time around strangers. When it's my time it is my time.
I don't get the "When it's my time it is my time". Do you wear a seatbelt? Go to the doctor when you are sick? Also, it's not like getting hit by a car. Long stay in the hospital, multiple chronic health problems if it's not "your time to go", expensive hospital bills to leave to your family. Not to mention the people with heart attacks, etc., who can't get an ICU bed because it is full of people with Covid. And what if you infect a child before you go?
I wish everyone would take this seriously, and think of others, and maybe it wouldn't still be dragging out after almost 2 years.
Old 09-05-2021, 02:09 PM

I have a BS in biology....which included a fair amount of training in bacteriology and viruses, I also learned about the immune system. After that I got my BS in Nursing. More infection control and learning about diseases that caused pandemics in the past. Then I worked in a hospital for 9 years. Then I went back for my master's degree and got Certified as an Industrial Hygienist. That is were I learned a lot about ventilation, and respiratory protection. Then I worked as an Industrial Hygienist for 20 some years. I am amazed about how poorly we have informed folks about infectious diseases, how to evaluate scientific studies, and how to make informed decisions in this country. I never occurred to me that people would not wear mask and follow recommendations of the infection control experts. We have some very good and well known experts in this field in this country and for years we were resources world wide for many diseases. Think how ebola was handled when it came to this country. It really makes me sad and I feel so badly for the health care workers and teachers who are having to deal with so many not caring enough of others to follow the recommendations. Sorry, I probably have violated some rules here but I am just so sad about all the people dying who don't have to. I want to make a quilt for every single health care worker, first responders, teacher, grocery store worker. I know I can't do that...there are just too many of them....but they really need a warm hug at the end of their shifts.
Old 09-05-2021, 02:23 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sewingpup View Post
I have a BS in biology....which included a fair amount of training in bacteriology and viruses, I also learned about the immune system. After that I got my BS in Nursing. More infection control and learning about diseases that caused pandemics in the past. Then I worked in a hospital for 9 years. Then I went back for my master's degree and got Certified as an Industrial Hygienist. That is were I learned a lot about ventilation, and respiratory protection. Then I worked as an Industrial Hygienist for 20 some years. I am amazed about how poorly we have informed folks about infectious diseases, how to evaluate scientific studies, and how to make informed decisions in this country. I never occurred to me that people would not wear mask and follow recommendations of the infection control experts. We have some very good and well known experts in this field in this country and for years we were resources world wide for many diseases. Think how ebola was handled when it came to this country. It really makes me sad and I feel so badly for the health care workers and teachers who are having to deal with so many not caring enough of others to follow the recommendations. Sorry, I probably have violated some rules here but I am just so sad about all the people dying who don't have to. I want to make a quilt for every single health care worker, first responders, teacher, grocery store worker. I know I can't do that...there are just too many of them....but they really need a warm hug at the end of their shifts.
If this site had a “like” button I would give it to you. Well said
Old 09-05-2021, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by ptquilts View Post
I don't get the "When it's my time it is my time". Do you wear a seatbelt? Go to the doctor when you are sick? Also, it's not like getting hit by a car. Long stay in the hospital, multiple chronic health problems if it's not "your time to go", expensive hospital bills to leave to your family. Not to mention the people with heart attacks, etc., who can't get an ICU bed because it is full of people with Covid. And what if you infect a child before you go?
I wish everyone would take this seriously, and think of others, and maybe it wouldn't still be dragging out after almost 2 years.
Completely agree! I would also "like" this post!
Bags
Old 09-05-2021, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
If this site had a “like” button I would give it to you. Well said
As would I!

Bags
Old 09-05-2021, 03:09 PM
Power Poster

I'm not anti establishment or a supporter, but I do research, read, observe, listen, and then do what I think is best for me. I have Medical journal reports available to read from family members In fact one comes to my home address. I have never had a positive covid test nor has any of my family circle. I have had cold after cold while wearing a mask long term. I stopped and no more colds. Why would I go back to wearing one that is not as thin as I can get it? This is what is best for me so I'll stick with it. Too many in the medical field have opposite views. Look at how many swear by one treatment and others say no to it. One says don't take statins other say yes statins will save your life. No one is on the same page and probably never will be.
Old 09-05-2021, 03:32 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I'm not anti establishment or a supporter, but I do research, read, observe, listen, and then do what I think is best for me. I have Medical journal reports available to read from family members In fact one comes to my home address. I have never had a positive covid test nor has any of my family circle. I have had cold after cold while wearing a mask long term. I stopped and no more colds. Why would I go back to wearing one that is not as thin as I can get it? This is what is best for me so I'll stick with it. Too many in the medical field have opposite views. Look at how many swear by one treatment and others say no to it. One says don't take statins other say yes statins will save your life. No one is on the same page and probably never will be.
colds are caused by viruses. Maybe you have allergies to the masks but what do I know. Statins don’t treat communicable disease. Since this has become political in the world it seems like “sides” have positions. Sometimes not based on facts. Certain TV networks promote anything but facts and their corporate office requires them to be vaccinated. But still they show the reverse. Hypocrisy? Research is not static. Things will always be refined. I’ve never had a positive test either. Nor has anyone in my family circle. Nor has anyone had a cold or a stomach virus or any kind of sickness. What’s up with that?