Is it me or is it OCD?

Old 07-19-2010, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
You know how when a couple gets married one tends to start taking after the other?? Well that's my case.
I was a neat freak before I got married. A bit compulsive looking back.
My husband is a slob- he's a scientist and truly a "mad scientist", and very creative. He also has ADD.
So instead of him taking after me I started taking after him!
My parents wondered what happened to my neat-freakness but after a few years the whole family just laughed at the "new normal". I got really tired of picking up after him, etc and started getting sloppy myself!
We now have a deal that each reminds the other when things are getting out of hand. Problem: he doesn't notice LOL
I envy all of you!!!
Oh wow!! This could have been me writing this. I was such a neat-freak when I met my DH and he is also a scientist!!! And such a slob and he has ADD and is dyslexic!! He can't shut a door to same himself unless it is a door I WANT left open....he shuts those! LOL He strips every screw he goes near.....I definitely had to change my ways. Now my house looks like those on hoarders and I just step on all the crap on my way to my sewing room! ROFLOL
Old 07-19-2010, 08:59 PM
Power Poster

Oh Sooz- wait till you hear this!
I had an alarm system installed b/c he couldn't remember to lock the doors- he always left at least one unlocked.
The list is endless, he makes me nuts!! When my boys were little they knew not to EVER touch my sewing scissors for anything but fabric. But guess who I STILL have to hide them from???? haha.
He's such a great person but his mind is always in 40 directions :D:D
Sooooooooooooo glad I'm not alone!!!
Old 07-19-2010, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
Oh Sooz- wait till you hear this!
I had an alarm system installed b/c he couldn't remember to lock the doors- he always left at least one unlocked.
The list is endless, he makes me nuts!! When my boys were little they knew not to EVER touch my sewing scissors for anything but fabric. But guess who I STILL have to hide them from???? haha.
He's such a great person but his mind is always in 40 directions :D:D
Sooooooooooooo glad I'm not alone!!!
hmmm....my DH travels a lot. You sure we aren't sharing the same guy? :lol: :lol: :lol:

We even both have the same first name! Your DH isn't named Jim is he? :wink:
Old 07-20-2010, 05:45 AM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

My family hates it when my OCD kicks in full speed beacause I will clean everything and if they don't keep it that way the menopause kicks in and there is h--l to pay. It hasn't been so bad here lately due to quilting. The quilting helps to keep my OCD in check. Otherwise I move from one thing to the next and never stop going til bed time and even then my mind is active when I sleep. My kids are always telling me "I don't understand why you are so fat, you never sit down and you don't eat that much". LOL. No I don't have any kind of illness that keeps me from losing weight. I have always been this way, have to starve to death and workout 8 hrs. a day to take any of it off. That's another story. My OCD for me is wanting everything my way and I get the final say on everything. I sound like a control freak but I'm really not. I also count and spell when the OCD kicks in.
So that is me in a nut shell. Anyone want to come and visit me?
Old 07-20-2010, 05:48 AM

ok,, maybe I am you long lost relative!!!! I am like this!! I also have my boxed goods lined up by size,, and abc order, as well as my canned goods. My clothes r hung by the color wheel, and separated by work, play and good. I also have my house run like a military base,, ( as Iam in the Army,, father was Navy,, ) I am always on a schedule and neever deviate! My friends say I am neurotic,, but,, it gets things done,, and everything has a place,, lol...
Old 07-20-2010, 07:03 AM

WOW!! What an eye opener this thread is!!! I USED to be so disciplined - always had stuff done ahead of time, never late anywhere, orderly, etc. Age and children, I think, have mellowed me.. HOWEVER - I STILL hate being late and my D(sweet)H is never on time - he likes being fashionably late, he calls it. It's LATE!! I had to learn to not expect my quilts to be perfect - they SHOULD look handmade because they are... I do have cans grouped (greenbeans with greenbeans, etc) and all labels are facing the front but not in ABC order. Bowls in cabinets have to be all mixing bowls, all serving bowls, all leftover bowls - piled together largest on bottom. Books used to have to be tallest to shortest - not so much anymore - I want my family to enjoy the books... when I dust I just put them back however now. Threads - all color coordinated though.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by BKinCO
I just WISH I could make a list and follow it. I make the list and then leave it at home.....

Then I can't remember what I wrote on it anyway....
ME TOO!!
Old 07-20-2010, 11:19 AM

I sure don"t fit in this thread! Nothing in my house gets organized. If I try to do so, then I can't find anything, so while looking it all gets a mess again. About the only thing I hate looking at are dead flowers and weeds in the garden, I will go after them.
Old 07-20-2010, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by mrspete
lawwwwww, I would drive you crazy! I am so unorganized I look like a crazy quilt!
:lol: :lol: :lol: Well, you certainly are a pretty crazy quilt!!! :wink:
Old 07-20-2010, 02:48 PM

I have a few Id like share :-)

My washing is hung on the inside of the line smallest, to the largest clothing on the outside. Pants MUST be hung on the creases.
My bathroom mat stays in the middle of the bathroom, not pushed up against the sink vanity. ( I HATE it when my DH contantly moves it)

My stash is colour coded and by size.
My embroidery threads colour coded in the box from dark to light, as are my sewing threads. My sewing room is always tidy because I cant stand mess.

I hate, hate, hate being late to anything.
I always have my plan in place, and then I have a plan B if plan A fails.
I do make a shopping list for the supermarket, but more often than not forget to take it, but end up getting all on the list anyway. I guess I just memorize it when I write it out.
I am very routine orientated - due to having an autistic son - and sometimes its me that gets upset when my routine is changed lol.

Thats about it for now.