Medicare supplement plans

Old 05-16-2016, 07:05 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by binkister View Post
We both have Medicare and BCBS thru where I retired from but we still have co pays. Should I look into Plan F?
You should definitely check out Medigap policies in your state. How much are your current BCBS premium payments? My bet is that they are considerably more than a Plan F Medigap policy, which would have no co-pays. BCBS probably has one. Try calling them to find out more info. I know that our Medigap policy is much, much less expensive than the one we would have been able to continue with from my husband's company and that one had co-pays.

However, be aware that it doesn't matter which company you get a Medigap policy from. If you want a Plan F Medigap policy, for example, BCBS and every other company in your state offering Plan F has to provide the same coverage. However, every one of them will charge a different price. This is why, once you decide it's Plan F that you want, you should compare prices among the companies in your state. Basically you get the same coverage whether you go with the company that has the cheapest premium or the company that has the most expensive premium. However, it's good to check a few things. For example, you may want to check the company's history of premium rate hikes (they are allowed to increase premiums for the entire group). You may also want to check that you can continue with the policy even if you move to a different state. Some companies are incorporated within a state, which means that if you move you may not be able to move the policy with you. This can be problematic if you have serious health conditions because at that point companies are able to turn you down for Medigap coverage.

Here is a link to one of the SHIP websites with some basic information about Medigap coverage:
http://www.shiip.state.ia.us/SupplementalInsurance.aspx

Edit: Note that the SHIP website is for Iowa. Some of the specifics there may be available only in Iowa. You might want to Google and see if you can find a SHIP website for your state.

Last edited by Prism99; 05-16-2016 at 07:07 PM.
Old 05-16-2016, 08:04 PM
Power Poster

Sorry, it's SHIIP websites, not SHIP!
Old 05-17-2016, 04:33 AM

Prism99 has some good advice. You might also want to check to see how they are rated as to customer satisfaction and how fast they pay the bills. Also whether people have problems with them denying payments or having a problem with them paying. Just because they are the cheapest doesn't always mean it's the best way to go. As they saying goes "you get what you pay for".
Old 05-23-2016, 05:20 PM

Here's another scenario: Our children were born to us later in life. Both are still under age 26 and are on my husband's health ins. plan. He turns 65 this summer. When he goes on medicare, are our kids automatically out of luck? (his health ins. will no longer in in force on that policy number). Just wondering (but I know we must get in touch w/the ins. agent and start asking some questions).
Old 05-23-2016, 06:26 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by liking quilting View Post
Here's another scenario: Our children were born to us later in life. Both are still under age 26 and are on my husband's health ins. plan. He turns 65 this summer. When he goes on medicare, are our kids automatically out of luck? (his health ins. will no longer in in force on that policy number). Just wondering (but I know we must get in touch w/the ins. agent and start asking some questions).
Yes, they will have to get their own policies. We were in the same situation last year.

Edit: If they are in college, be sure to check if their college or university offers a student health plan. My dd was in community college at the time of my dh's retirement, and they did not offer health insurance so she had to purchase a private plan. When she transferred to the university, however, they offered a health plan that costs much less ($400 for one semester that extends to half a year) than the private policy (which went up to $165 per month when she left it).

Last edited by Prism99; 05-23-2016 at 06:31 PM.
Old 05-24-2016, 09:48 AM
mim

when you choose a supplement, think of what you like to do -- if you travel be sure to choose a plan that will let you go anywhere. Many Advantage plans are for network docs only. when I retired I chose one that would let me travel anywhere without needing referrals. Now I live in Maine for the summer and WA state in winter so I always have coverage. -- I once used my ins when I was in the UK.

Mim