Microsoft Scam

Old 07-21-2013, 02:17 PM

When you call a company from your cell phone do not use the 800 number. Since there are no long distance charges -- find the number with the area code. Once you call a 800 # they might sell your cell phone number to marketers.

Originally Posted by Central Ohio Quilter View Post
We have even started getting these stupid calls on our cell phones! I thought they were not supposed to be able to do that!

We always say that as bad as our jobs are, (although we are retired now) that we could have a worse job! We could be reduced to taking a job as a phone scam artist! What a horrible way to spend your day, making those stupid phone calls!
Old 07-22-2013, 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by BCM View Post
Unfortunately, I do not expect the phone company to do anything in my area. I am on the do not call list and I continue to get such calls and now I am even getting them on my cell. It is alarming because some of them sound so convincing. Scary.
A while ago my sister sent me this e-mail about cell phones and a do not call number; it is different than the regular number. ou might want to list your cell on this list too.

.... YOU WILL BE CHARGED FOR THESE CALLS
To prevent this, call the following number from your cell phone: 888-382-1222.
This is the National DO NOT CALL list It will only take a minute of your time.. It blocks your number for five (5) years. You must call from the cell phone number you want to have blocked. You cannot call from a different phone number.
Old 07-22-2013, 07:58 AM

I had two calls where I told them I knew they were scammers then hung up. The next two I let them run with their spiel then said well that's funny, I don't have a computer. Haven't had any more calls.
Old 07-22-2013, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by Central Ohio Quilter View Post
We have even started getting these stupid calls on our cell phones! I thought they were not supposed to be able to do that!

We always say that as bad as our jobs are, (although we are retired now) that we could have a worse job! We could be reduced to taking a job as a phone scam artist! What a horrible way to spend your day, making those stupid phone calls!
We started receiving telemarketer calls on our cell phone. Verizon allows up to 5 numbers to be blocked for free for 90 days. And for $5.00 a month you can have up to 20 blocked. It really does work. We had someone call from Las Vegas pestering us several times a day. I googled the number and it was some charity wanting our pick up we have for sale. It turns out it is a scam that people are being conned out of their vehicles.
Old 07-22-2013, 08:32 AM

The guy that called me wanted me to quick turn on my computer so that he could fix it. I asked what was wrong with it. He told me there was a virus probably in it. I let him go on for awhile he kept asking me if my computer was turned on so that he could help me. I finally told him he could talk to my nephew about it. I then told him my nephew was an agent with the feds, and he was interested in what he was doing. Click went the line. I did look up the number, and its from NYC, but no name. LOL
Old 07-25-2013, 03:35 PM

Funny you should write that at this time. Last week I took the bait and realized what I was doing when he asked for my SS no. so I hung up called the bank immediately. Unfortunately for them the only thing they got to do was transfer $2,000.00 out of my checking into my credit card account before the accounts were frozen. What a mess. I had to take my computer to Staples close by the next morning to have the thing cleaned and remote access removed. Was on the phone with Wells Fargo for 2 hours going from one dept. to the other. But it was worth it. So relieved that they didn't get anything. But will never do that again.
Old 07-25-2013, 07:24 PM

You are one smart women.
Old 07-27-2013, 03:54 AM

First time I got this call I asked for their number to call them back when I was ready to do this. I googled the number and saw it was a scam. The next time, I told them this is a scam please hang up. I repeatly said, "no, this is a scam please hang up". Took a few times.