Microsoft Windows Scam

Old 02-22-2018, 12:22 PM

Sad state of the world--when will people realize life isn't about money! Guess I'll add scammers to my prayer list..
Old 02-22-2018, 12:25 PM

I have got so many of those I tell them thanks I will call my Best Buy Geek guys right away and hang right up.
Old 02-22-2018, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
I am concerned with elderly people who may get easily confused and then get taken by these charlatans. My Aunt had dementia and would have been a perfect candidate for this nonsense.
When my MIL was alive, we put an alert/$$limit on her bank account. We also changed her checking account to require both signatures of those listed on the check. Sad there are people out there so willing to scam/rob!!
Old 02-22-2018, 01:28 PM
Power Poster

I don't answer 800 numbers. so all good here. good to know though!
Old 02-22-2018, 02:57 PM

But, nativetexan, the latest thing it to masquerade as a local area code so you will answer the phone and then they start their speech or recording. We don't answer the phone. Yesterday, there were six of these calls. I don't understand why the 'powers that be' don't do something about this intrusion. We have had all the scam calls described above and in other posts. It is really sad!
Old 02-22-2018, 04:25 PM

I had a call wanting to help me get my computer working properly, I told him I only had a computer on my new washer and dryer, which one was he talking about and he hung up,LOL
Old 02-22-2018, 04:35 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ptquilts View Post
I hope she had someone looking out for her, especially financially.
You know, that was a tough family issue. I live out of state or I would have been with her a lot more. My cousins seemed clueless about her condition. She didn't have a computer but I have no idea what else went on We were so frustrated being so far away.
Old 02-23-2018, 06:08 AM

My BIL told the 'Windows' guy that he was so happy the man had called because all his upstairs windows really needed replacing. Yeah the guy hung up.

But it's not just phone scams. Your bank will never send you an email alert with a link to click on. Neither will Paypal.

The most inventive one I have seen is a notice from Paypal--using either their logo or a very good replica--that told me a payment of $$$ had been made to me and I could access it.....by clicking on the the enclosed link. I did open a new window and sign into my account and of course there had been no 'real' activity.
Old 02-23-2018, 06:28 AM

I got one from an 855 number that said my computer had a virus.,and my computer needed fixing.He asked me for my IP address, I told him I didn't have excess to that, he asked why.I told him it was in our computer shop having a scam tracer device put on it. He hung up.There is no such thing as a scam tracer device .I made that up. It stopped calls from that number.
Old 02-23-2018, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by OneBusyGranny View Post
I got one from an 855 number that said my computer had a virus.,and my computer needed fixing.He asked me for my IP address, I told him I didn't have excess to that, he asked why.I told him it was in our computer shop having a scam tracer device put on it. He hung up.There is no such thing as a scam tracer device .I made that up. It stopped calls from that number.
I love that!!!