Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Migraine meds

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Quiltforme
    I would have to agree with the neti pot it may see weird at first but it does work. They are not that expensive around 10 at the pharmacy. When I get a migrain I grab a coke and something for the pain. the coke, caffen opens the blood vessels drs have said this also.
    Keep a diary of when you get the headaches if it is food related ect.
    For me though, it is not just the caffeine because no other soda works but coke. Even Mountain Dew which has a ton of caffeine doesn't work. Has to be coke.

Blog Entries
    Good luck at your doctor's. A lot of them don't seem to know about other treatments for migraines. They just give you the accepted prescription.
    Here's something from the USDA website about magnesium.
    http://www.ars.usda.gov/news/docs.htm?docid=10874

Back home in Louisiana for now....where next?? who knows....
    I have had migraines for the last 32 years. Once I went thru menopause the severity lessened but not the frequency which is atleast every week, some times 2-3 days in a row. Certain smells used to bring on an instant headache but now it only intesifys one already in progress.
    I did go to a neurologist for awhile. He had me take magnesium citrate along with Vitamin B2. That also helped. The B2 was sometimes hard to find, may have to go to a health food store. I also have a drug called Frova for my headaches. I became immune to Imetrex and the frova works well but there again it is a prescription and since you do not have insurance that may be out of the question. i find sometimes coffee helps too. but now always.

My son has had severe migraines since at least the age of 4 (probably earlier but he couldn't verbalize). We've tried just about every medication on the planet. Right now he is on a daily preventative and Excedrin Migraine (which doesn't eliminate but does reduce the headache).

Some home remedies and lifestyle changes we've tried with some success are: proper hydration (he drinks 3 bottles of water a day), the right amount of sleep (can't have too much or too little), 30 min of exercise a day (something to do with natural seratonin levels), butterbur (get the kind that is PA free to eliminate possibility of liver damage -- we used the brand name Petadolex), caffeine (dialates the blood vessels)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2