Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
The mooching person who wants to quilt >

The mooching person who wants to quilt

The mooching person who wants to quilt

Old 12-25-2010, 08:04 PM
Cyn

Don't be an enabler! Stick firm!
Old 12-25-2010, 08:32 PM
Power Poster

After reading this thread I now know why I have cultivated the veneer of "remoteness" built over many years! Seriously, it is not impolite to set boundaries or be clear about what is acceptable or not acceptable behaviour. This applies to children and adults.

Interestingly, many of these "moochers" are actually quite clever...years of practice and knowing that "manners" will prevent people from using the dreaded "NO" word.

People will only get away with what you allow them. Stand firm and be clear and concise. She will soon get the message and life will be a whole lot easier.
Old 12-25-2010, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by Pat G
Originally Posted by trisha
Well, if you keep some fabric on a shelf for her, or go buy some cheap stuff for her to pick from, that is just enabling her. Obviously she has gotten away with it and sounds like people just want to appease her rather than tick her off, but that is not doing her any good, or anyone else for that matter. It is not up to you to keep her supplied, you worked hard to pay for the stuff you have, so it shouldn't be that hard to say no to her. Don't let her intimidate you.
I would never do that (keep cheap fabric for her). We're all grown ups & don't want to play that game. She's just so slick with it that it's done before we realize we've been duped. Not going to happen to me again if I can help it. She sure doesn't intimidate me. Most of us are happy to share with ea. other so this is out of character for the rest of us.

I'd like to give you the lowest example ever then I won't bring it up again.
We were at our LQS & I was paying for my purchase. You know how stores have a little dish of chg. on the counter? She was fingering through the chg when she picked up a penny. She said "oh this is a feather penny. It's a 1940s penny & worth a fortune". She put it in her purse. Then she turned to me & asked if I had a penny so she could pay for the one she put in her purse. I was stunned. That said it all. It's hard to top that. And no I didn't have any chg. for her.

Thanks for letting me spout off about this. Not much ruffles my feathers quite so much as a mooch.
I hope you don't mind thatI laughed out loud when I read this . Don't get me wrong...I'm disgusted by her actions ...but that was just too much!
:)
Old 12-25-2010, 08:49 PM

[
We were at our LQS & I was paying for my purchase. You know how stores have a little dish of chg. on the counter? She was fingering through the chg when she picked up a penny. She said "oh this is a feather penny. It's a 1940s penny & worth a fortune". She put it in her purse. Then she turned to me & asked if I had a penny so she could pay for the one she put in her purse. I was stunned. That said it all. It's hard to top that. And no I didn't have any chg. for her.

Thanks for letting me spout off about this. Not much ruffles my feathers quite so much as a mooch.[/quote]

I hope you don't mind thatI laughed out loud when I read this . Don't get me wrong...I'm disgusted by her actions ...but that was just too much!
:)[/quote]

It's quite ok to laugh at this since it is the stupidest thing I ever witnessed. I can laugh about it now. The rest of that story is that I keep chg. in the cup holders in my car. All the way home she fiddled with that chg. I wondered how much I lost. By that time, I didn't really care since I was in shock.
Old 12-25-2010, 08:49 PM

[

I have to add that since then, she's come over to ask if I had tissue so she could wrap a gift. (not for me I'm sure). Then today she came to ask if I had an acrylic template like the paper pc. she had drawn. I gave her an empty cereal box. That's quick thinking on your feet. LOL

Thanks for letting me spout off about this. Not much ruffles my feathers quite so much as a mooch.[/quote]

:)[/quote]

It's quite ok to laugh at this since it is the stupidest thing I ever witnessed. I can laugh about it now. The rest of that story is that I keep chg. in the cup holders in my car. All the way home she fiddled with that chg. I wondered how much I lost. By that time, I didn't really care since I was in shock.
Old 12-25-2010, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by luvTooQuilt
Hmm so many good helpful ideas but in all sincerity, its your house, your room, your stash.. tell her No.. whether your nice or blunt- the worst that can happen is shes mad - so what...?!?! your moving anyway.. I wouldn't 'buy' some cheap stash for her either, it would encourage her coming over to play in your sewing sanctuary..
Old 12-25-2010, 09:32 PM

I feel exactly the same way as luvTooQuilt.
Rich or poor there is no excuse for bad manners.
Hope you can get this settled and still have peace,
Good luck!!!!!
Old 12-26-2010, 07:46 AM

EVERY family has one or a "friend"......I'm like Coyote....I will be nice, but there are boundaries.....People either love me or hate me.....I don't play politics too well.....I will tell someone in the nicest way I can if they continue to abuse my boundaries, and let them know I value my relationship with them (in your case your DS and DIL) and I want to keep it that way, by not feeling abused.....I would rather tell them to their face than grow the resentment and talk behind their back....most people don't like this, but that is how I am.
Old 12-26-2010, 08:08 AM

It sounds like it may be time ti hurt some feelings here. She apparently is doing a number on yours what gives her the right and in your home. Tell her you to will be poor if she keeps taking your stash and you have to keep replacing it. Give her joannes sales flyers
Old 12-26-2010, 08:08 AM

It sounds like it may be time ti hurt some feelings here. She apparently is doing a number on yours what gives her the right and in your home. Tell her you to will be poor if she keeps taking your stash and you have to keep replacing it. Give her joannes sales flyers