Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
The mooching person who wants to quilt >

The mooching person who wants to quilt

The mooching person who wants to quilt

Old 12-22-2010, 10:09 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk
Mouse traps in your stash area comes to mind. Just remember that they are there before you stick your hands in there.
:lol: :shock: :lol:
Old 12-22-2010, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by Lacelady
Since diplomacy doesn't seem to be working, do you have a place where you could put a lot of your stash (stuff that you absolutely want to keep for yourself and not have to fight for it). Leave what you are prepared to share where it has always been.

If she comments that suddenly you don't have so much, you don't have to reply to that, just change the subject.
I would have suggested this as well.
Old 12-22-2010, 10:19 AM

I have two people that come to mind, on my side of the family, my Aunt Ladonna and on my DH's side of the family his sister Carole. I try to be nice, but I also can use the word NO!!!! Don't let her take advantage of you(I know easier said than done, but you'll feel sooooo much better when doing it). I hope that this won't be an ongoing problem for you.
On another note, what part of Florida are you going to move to??? I'm in Lakeland(the middle of the state between Tampa and Orlando.) My DH is originally from Lancaster, PA.
Old 12-22-2010, 10:37 AM

I went on Craigslist and found fabric for really cheap. I am sure a thrift store would have scraps as well. When my friends come over to quilt, I pull out all my scraps and the craigslist fabric and let them use them to their heart's content. This way, I am not invested in the fabric (which I am in most of my stash).

I don't let my friends down in my spare bedroom to pick fabric from my stash because I'd just have to say NO too many times and I would probably come off looking like a greedy witch who didn't want to share, even though all the fabric is mine, purchased with my money.

To me, it is like someone seeing your pantry and expecting that you give them food because you have more than they do... but you don't get to tell them not to take all the "good" stuff. Of course, they are going to gravitate toward the yummy food, just like quilters gravitate toward the beautiful, expensive fabrics!

I agree that separating your stash and pulling out what she can use is a good solution. You can tell her that you have projects planned for most of your stash and don't want to have to replace fabric when you do the projects because they were used in other projects.
Old 12-22-2010, 11:53 AM

When she picks out something just tell her firmly, I sorry you can't have that I have plans for it !!! And also tell her it's no problem to pack your stash to move!!
Old 12-22-2010, 02:22 PM
Administrator

explanations are not necessary. it's your stuff.

just say no.

period.

end of conversation.
Old 12-22-2010, 02:30 PM
Banned

But out a basket or something that says "to give away"...another that says "for me only" and use your name!

People amaze me.....
Old 12-22-2010, 02:30 PM
Banned

oops...posted twice and deleted
Old 12-22-2010, 02:36 PM
Power Poster

Humm, sounds like she needs some lessons in the politeness area. Sounds very rude to me!

Tell her to look at goodwill and such for fabrics and you can assist her in making a quilt from HER stash.
Old 12-22-2010, 03:02 PM
Power Poster

I have to agree with Patrice. If she comes over again smile sweetly and tell her right away that you think she may be under a misconception (what we have here is a failure to communicate!) and that you want to clear things up. The fabrics that you have are your stash, they're the things you bought to make things with, and you intend to keep them. However you'll be glad to go with her to a quilt shop (or wherever) and help her select fabrics that SHE can purchase for HER stash. Don't offer to share anything with her, because that will just prolong the problem.