Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
The mooching person who wants to quilt >

The mooching person who wants to quilt

The mooching person who wants to quilt

Old 12-22-2010, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by LindaR
nothing works but plain words...I think they do the poor thing as an art LOL, my DD has a girlfriend who requests baby quilts each time she has a shower and DD got word that she was telling everyone she had a friend who would do anything for her, guess what...no more LOL
WOW! that is something to think about, isn't it? It isn't just about the personal relationship, it is what the other person thinks about the personal relationship.
There are a lot of people around us who really would benefit from our giving ... if we waste time, energy, and money on takers, the ones who respond positively will suffer for lack of encouragement. <wave>
LOL I HAVE to know! Does your DD still call her a friend?
Old 12-22-2010, 08:53 AM

Well, the 'nice' example will pay off for future grandchildren, that's for sure.
Old 12-22-2010, 08:56 AM

Well, she sounds like my husbands exwife....It won't matter what you say to her, she won't hear you. You have had a lot of good suggestions.
Since you are moving next year, pack up all of your nicest fabric you don't plan to use before then.
My DH said not to let her know where you are moving to in Florida....she's the kind that will come to visit and be a mooch from hell!
What part of Florida are you moving to? (I promise not to tell!) :lol:
Old 12-22-2010, 08:58 AM

I had this issue , with a few "friends" finally I started to use the phrase " oh .. that already spoken for... I got that for a project". Pretty quick they caught on .
Old 12-22-2010, 09:08 AM
JJs
Banned

you know what Dear Abby says - people only take advantage of you because you LET THEM...

I finally had it with someone just like that and told her don't call me, don't show up in my driveway, just leave me alone......

hoorey - it worked!!!
Old 12-22-2010, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by omak
Originally Posted by LindaR
nothing works but plain words...I think they do the poor thing as an art LOL, my DD has a girlfriend who requests baby quilts each time she has a shower and DD got word that she was telling everyone she had a friend who would do anything for her, guess what...no more LOL
WOW! that is something to think about, isn't it? It isn't just about the personal relationship, it is what the other person thinks about the personal relationship.
There are a lot of people around us who really would benefit from our giving ... if we waste time, energy, and money on takers, the ones who respond positively will suffer for lack of encouragement. <wave>
LOL I HAVE to know! Does your DD still call her a friend?
a very off/on one :thumbup:
Old 12-22-2010, 09:27 AM

I would put the sewing room under lock and key and just NOT invite her into the sewing room, when she comes over, if she asks why not just tell her you're in the middle of a project (not a lie, PROJECT keep out the MOOCHER)and you don't want anything disturbed. I keep my sewing room locked, It's seperate from the main living area with it's own entrance, 2 women from my church have a key, they come to use the SPACE (ie: cutting table,design wall,etc...)not my stuff.
Good Luck & God Bless
Old 12-22-2010, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by mrspete
Well, the 'nice' example will pay off for future grandchildren, that's for sure.
What will be the pay off?
In my mind - - not being a wise steward of your possessions teaches young ones that their "job" in life is to make sure everyone else is taken care of.
There is a certain amount of responsibility to stand up for oneself - - and letting anyone take advantage of you sets a kind of example that pays off in bitter, angry servants of others, or very good conmen. <wave>
Old 12-22-2010, 10:00 AM

Personally, I would have never invited her in the 1st place but that's just me...

But if you know she's trying to "stake a claim" when you move to FL next year, I would start packing up or storing the stuff you definatly don't want her to have, and leave her the stuff that you don't really care about. That way you can take what you want to with you, and then buy more when you get settled in in your new house!
Old 12-22-2010, 10:01 AM

Mouse traps in your stash area comes to mind. Just remember that they are there before you stick your hands in there.