Mother of the groom Dress?

Old 07-22-2010, 01:07 PM

So happy - I just found a black and white jacket at Marshall's for 16.99 and it goes wonderfully with my dressy black slacks and shell. What's great about the jacket is that it covers all my faults, thick middle, heavy upper arms and arthritic knee that causes lower leg to swell The print is classy, fit is loose and there is no collar - I have a short neck. Think I'll wear silver jewelry. Can't believe this jacket makes an outfit that does everything I want it to. It even matches my folding cane, LOL!

As Grandmother of the Bride I don't feel I have to wear a fancy gown, just look nice and dressy. DH is renting a tux, black with grey vest so we'll look good together. I'll still be checking out outfits and gowns wherever I go but not in a panic like I was before. May in Jersey
Old 07-22-2010, 03:07 PM
Banned

I rarely ever wore (or wear) a dress.
When my son married in 1987 I borrowed a classic beige linen dress from my future daughter in law.
Some folks thought it strange, she and I were perfectly happy.
Old 07-22-2010, 03:09 PM

My DS wanted me to wear blue. I don't like blue, but I made a blue dress with a blue sheer jacket for an August wedding. I wore it the the wedding then gave it to Good Will.
Old 07-22-2010, 08:53 PM

Just re-read my post, 2 above this one. With all my body faults I think I should really be looking for a free flowing caftan, that would cover everything up nicely, LOL! May in Jersey
Old 07-23-2010, 11:36 AM

Just wear a soft color. There are plenty that are less than $250.
You'll be fine. Best wishes to the couple!
Old 07-23-2010, 11:44 AM

I would ask the bride to help you choose a color, afterall, you're going to be in a lot of her wedding photos, not need to start off on the wrong foot. tee hee I always thought it was normal for both the mother's to wear similar or complimentary colors.
Old 07-23-2010, 11:49 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by DA Mayer
I found my dress at Macy's on the way to the Minneapolis st paul airport. My other daugh-in-law helped pick it out, we just shopped and tried on dresses until we found 2 we liked. A beige lace and a black with sparkles on the top and jacket. We decided I looked thinner in the black and I didn't tell my daug-in-law to be because she didn't want black. When we got to the wedding the MOB was wearing a beige lace dress almost the same as the other I saw. My new DIL was very glad the black looked better. We both spent under 100 for our dresses.
I forgot to add her mother and I have several tops that are the same or almost, isn't it funny how some people have the same taste. We went shopping, my DD, DIL and her mother and myself, we bought the same purse when we were with our own daughters, found our when we got back to the car.
Your son in the wedding picture is the spitting image of Nomar Garciaparra, former Red Sox and (fake) Dodgers' short stop
Old 07-23-2010, 01:30 PM

I just got married last November and I just want to say from the brides perspective it doesn't matter what colour you wear, or what style you wear as long as you are comfortable with it! My mom wore a green and so the his, they were different greens but it just happened. They didn't plan it at all! Our wedding colours were chocolate & orange. They both loved there dresses and they both looked great.

It's just as much about your family as it is her family so there is nothing saying that you can't look just as fantastic as the MOB. I wouldn't go with a white or anything that is too light but pick a colour that you are comfortable in.
Old 08-02-2010, 05:12 PM

My daughter just was a mother of the groom.She wore ashort dress. it was a very pretty floral.Muted pale lavender and pink and blues.Very airy looking. She was beautiful. The MOB Wore a long brown dress.NEED I SAY MORE? If you have any DRESSBARN stores near you check them out. The one near us has all sizes.
Old 03-23-2011, 01:26 AM

the Groom's Mom can wear anything...I wore Dark Brown regular knee lenght dress from a regular store for 40.00. Looked great and I really can wear it again. The pictures came out wonderful...with the bride being in White and me in Brown. I also could not see spending 200.00 on a dress that I would wear once...
Originally Posted by Up North
I did see one I loved in my size yesterday at Salvation Army Resale store but the Bride is going with lilac and it was a dark color, I would rather not stick out like a sore thumb!! LOL