Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Mouse

Mouse

How is the fastest way to get rid of a mouse? I have put decon out and he hasn't eaten it yet. He likes to walk across my competer desk. He is a brave little thing. Please help me.

I suggest...SHOT GUN

My orange cat would do a job like that in a flash. If cats are not your thing, there are traps that are gray with a really heavy strong snap spring. Go visit your local hardware or farm supply
    store and pick up a couple (around $12 Canadian but they are washable and re-usable many
    times). I bait them with peanut butter and it usually doesn't take long and your mouse will
    definitely be dead. I dislike killing critters but that mouse just has to go.
    Last edited by Shelbie; 11-26-2011 at 02:22 PM.
    Shelbie from the High County in Southern Ontario

I agree, snap trap (only $1 for 2 here at the dollar store in the US!) and peanut butter. Then you have to make sure your house is sealed up well, otherwise all his kin will be visiting you. If you can, get down on your hands and knees and think like a mouse, go all around the outside of your house at the foundation, feeling for any little cracks or holes. Use expanding foam insulation.

Power Poster
    I hate to kill the little things but they have to go! I have my husband bait snap traps with peanut butter and then dispose of the evidence before I see them. We had a couple in the attic and I could hear them at night and it was driving me crazy!

Blog Entries
    mouse trap with peanut butter

Blog Entries
    peanut butter and a big pair of boots-if it ran oer my shoe I'd die of fright!!-good luck

Blog Entries
    A mouse trap with a small piece of bread and butter and then light a match and burn it a little toasty. Set it there and go somewhere else so it is nice and quiet. A little while later you will have the little bugger in the trap. Decon needs water for them to drink after they eat it otherwise they bloat and stink. They are suppose to just dry up if you have water there. My favorite is some milk and antifreeze if you don't have any pets that might drink it. That kills them deader than a doornail now. do the same thing for rats. Only use bigger bait, like Tomcat or Warfarin. That is what Coumadin is--warfarin is a blood thinner and it causes them to have hemorraghic bleds. That is what killed my mother on the 2nd of Nov. She had one that started about 2 weeks before and of course she didn't know until the thing got so big that she went into a coma, that she never came out of. I prayed to God that she would take her so she didn't have to lay there. The dr said she wasn't suffering, but my Dad was to see her lying there like that. Good thing they had living wills to stop them from hooking her up to all kinds of things.

Please, please, please use one of the humane traps. They work really well.

And let it loose where? It will continue to find its way back in and possibly bring friends. Eewww

Quote Originally Posted by akrogirl View Post
    Please, please, please use one of the humane traps. They work really well.

Mousetrap, use peanut butter to lure him. Use a plastic bag to pick up his body and release it. Never touch it.

I had one still alive in a snap trap with it's back broken. Went and got a live trap and, with peanut butter, catch them. We then take them for a ride about a mile down the road and let them out. If they find their way back they deserve to get in. LOL Since we live in the country it is almost impossible to keep them out but I bought one of those electronic thingys that you put in the outlet last year and have not had any, that I know of anyway, get in since. The thing also works on ANTS which have been a huge problem several years ago. I also found that a white bowl set on the floor with a night light over it works as a GREAT FLEA trap!! Who would have thought?

I've gotten three of them just this evening with snap traps. Have never had this problem before, but they have to go. The other nite I was sitting in the dining room with Mom and a Sister. Mentioned I saw a mouse and both of them about jumped out of their chairs. I had to laugh at them cause it really was funny, but they said get rid of the mice or no more visits. Also I have a parrot and I don't want the mice getting into her cage.

Mice don't like peppermint smell. I put out drink bottle caps with a cotton ball in them. A few drops of peppermint oil on the cotton ball. I put out a few dozen of the things all over the house. Under stuff. They do leave. Just keep a few drops on the cotton ball about every month. House smells good, no mice. And if pets get in it, it doesn't hurt them. Its got to be peppermint oil. Not extract. And nothing with sugar added. Just plain oil.

Send all your mice to the ones who want them trapped and released. Sounds like they have never had mice, they are germ and disease carriers and totally destroy clothing and anything they get into,
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Stick a trap exactly in the path that it runs in.

PS. I am the only one in my block of flats that hasn't had them (yet). I think it might be because I have lots of camphor wood chips in all of my material boxes and drawers. I can only conclude that they don't like the smell. (I know they are not nesting in the material. lol)
    Last edited by jitkaau; 11-27-2011 at 04:48 AM.

Just a bit of 'mouse' humor for you ...

When my DD and her husband were newly married and living in a rental house, she had left a few dishes soaking in water in the kitchen sink one night. The next morning her hubby was up and heading to work (she was still asleep) and he noticed a dead mouse in the water. He disposed of it right away and told her later. The next time she was filling the sink with water to wash dishes, he asked her if she was baiting her mouse trap!!

I have tried all kinds of things and still use most of them. Snap trap with peanut butter. If the cats get one I take it away (live) and throw out the door (mouse not cat). I have sealed. I have used moth balls. I have used moth blocks. If you must trap them, do not use glue traps - it is inhuman for them and I had a cat get stuck in one once. Disaster. She freaked and I had to cut out a chunk of her hair. Poison is bad if you have pets. Puts traps along the walls or against surface in cabinets. They like to run along something. I try my best to keep them out or not kill them but sometimes you don't have much choice

Blog Entries
    I have always gotten these little green or blue squares at H. D. and they have always worked great. Not sure of the name but there are 6 or nine in a container and they are square cubes. they work great.
    Judy

I have trapped over 20 this year on my back porch...thankfully not in the house...have snap traps called "Jaws"...they are easy for me to use..I use peanut butter to lure...I keep trying to figure out were they are coming in, but so far, haven't been able to as they keep showing up...have gotten less lately, so maybe am getting there....do they hibernate for the winter?? Or is this a problem all winter too?? First year I have been getting them like this.

Please be VERY careful if you use poison. Other animals can/will consume the dead mouse, and the poison can/will kill them too. I know-my cat died from eating a mouse that had been poisoned by someone. It was awful. He started throwing up and acting wobbly. I rushed him to the vet six blocks away, but he was unable to be saved. That secured in my mind that poison would not be in my arsenal.
    Train, don't complain.
    People in WA don't tan-they rust.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Crichtons-Critters/143010779079296

Blog Entries
    the very best poison for a mouse is ready made cement we had a grainery and they were so thick they ran up the walls we were told to use small containers like jar lids and mix half and half with sugar and ready mix cement within a few days no mice and nothing else bothered it

Maybe you could try to train him (or her) to do something useful around the house, like threading your sewing machine or something. As I get older, I could use a little critter like that to help thread those size 11 needles that I use. I need some eyes down there close to the action. I sure canít depend on my danged cat to do it for me. Are needle eyes getting smaller, or is it just me?

Can you tell if heís computer literate or not? If youíve noticed him on the computer desk, he may have a Facebook account....

CD in Oklahoma
    "I sew, I sew, so it's off to work I go!!!"
    ThayerRags Fabric Center
    http://thayerrags.com/

I found an electronic mousetrap at Home Depot. A couple of batteries, a dab of peanut butter, turn it on and zap! One fried mouse. Just open the trap door and shake him out. No touching, no continuing to live with a broken back or tail and no danger to pets. (Unless you have a pet mouse! LOL).

Mice come in when it gets colder out. Some stay and some leave when the weather gets warm. I have one of the electronic thingys you plug into the wall outlet and have been "mouse free" for over a year now. It also kept the ants out all year. That in itself is a blessing. I forgot to mention all of the flea trap thing. You take a shallow white bowl, put water and a little dish detergent in it, and suspend a night light over the bowl at night. Really works if you have a
    problem with them.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast