Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Must Things to do and see in Oregon and Washington???

Blog Entries
    We are flying back to the West Coast in June and have a week to explore OR and WA. What is a must see and do?
    Any tips are greatly appreciated. :D

Of course the Pike Place Market the Seattle Waterfront and the Snoqualmie falles they have a beautiful hotel!

we hope to one day MH that direction, so, I'll be following this post!

I'm from Seattle. What Jade said. I suggest you do the Oregon coast. I think it's much nicer than WA coast.

There is a wonderful little quilt shop called Undercover Quilts in Pike Place Market!

There is a salmon cruise (on a ferry) that leaves from the piers just north of downtown seattle, goes over to one of the islands. There is an native american museum and story telling ... and a wonderful salmon dinner. It is a little pricey, but I felt that I got a feel for the place even though I grew up there. And a fantastic dinner ... fresh seafood is the only seafood.

Blog Entries
    Do you have little ones? The Newport Aquarium in Newport Oregon. They even have indoor tide pools.

For adults and/or children...
    2011 World Beat Festival. June 25 & 26, 2011. Riverfront Park, Salem. Ad Rate Sheet. Salem Multicultural Institute. P.O. Box 4611, Salem, OR 97302 ...

www.worldbeatfestival.org/.../2011%20Festival%20Ad%20Rate%20Sheet. pdf

Now if your shopping for fabric...
    McMinnville, Or has two LQS Just let me know if you want details. :)

Blog Entries
    The Oregon Jamboree is a "Do not miss". It is held in Sweet home, OR. google it.

I'm only familiar with the northern part of Oregon ...

Mt Hood & Columbia River Gorge are beautiful, great hiking.

In June the area should be in full bloom, so check out some of the public gardens in and around Portland.

Quote Originally Posted by gaby4v
    We are flying back to the West Coast in June and have a week to explore OR and WA. What is a must see and do?
    I live in Wash. But as a kid lived in OR. The best Place is 'Silver Creek Falls State Park' near Silverton, OR. It has up to 7- 14 water falls on a hike you can take! One that you walk behind! cool!
    Also in the Oregon side of the Columbia Gorge theres a lot of cool sites, water falls one that starts with a 'M' I can't spell it but its very well known!
    8-)

Blog Entries
    The falls is Multnomah falls - it's just beautiful!!

Oh Lord! what about Fabric Depot in Portland, OR THE bigest fabric store in the USA LOL can't past that up!!

Oh Rats hit send again!

Quote Originally Posted by luvnquilt
    The falls is Multnomah falls - it's just beautiful!!
    Yes thats it! glad someone can spell around here!

Multnomah Falls.... yes, beautiful... we camped there and sat at our picnic table in the dark as the woman in the site next to us undressed in the light of her car... dh got quite an eyefull that night. lol! Oh the memories.... that was a fun trip. Go up to Mount Hood - in the Lodge you can get a nice ploughman's lunch upstairs (at least we did in '96 on our 10th anniversary)with an incredible view of the summit of Mt Hood... and the stars at night up in the mountains are incredible!!
    And definitely drive down the coastal side of the Cascades - gorgeous!!! Crater Lake is incredible.
    (Ok, I just reread this and have to add that we didn't just sit there and watch that woman - it was just all of a sudden that she whipped her top off - we didn't have time to react before we saw it all! lol!!)

I've never been to Washington - yet. But we definitely want to go to the Olympia Rain Forest!

Blog Entries
    Thank you all for the great info!!!

Blog Entries
    I live in Southern Oregon. A must see is The Oregon Caves, about 30 miles south of Grants Pass just outside of Cave Junction. The caves are SOOOOOOOOO beautiful. In June, I can't remember what weekend, but on one of them they have Free admission.

Here is the website that you can check out.

http://www.nps.gov/orca/index.htm

Woodland zoo in Seattle is great. Space Needle and EMP are both a must.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by icon17
    Quote Originally Posted by gaby4v
    I live in Wash. But as a kid lived in OR. The best Place is 'Silver Creek Falls State Park' near Silverton, OR. It has up to 7- 14 water falls on a hike you can take! One that you walk behind! cool!
    Also in the Oregon side of the Columbia Gorge theres a lot of cool sites, water falls one that starts with a 'M' I can't spell it but its very well known!
    8-)
    The Oregon State Garden is also nearby and not to be missed also! (She meant Multnomah Falls. Spectacular)

Mt. Saint Helens, Mt. Ranier, Crater Lake, Columbia River Gorge, all of the Oregon Pacific coast, Olympic National Park, Cascades --- basically just get in the car and drive, drive, drive, and don't stop for the whole two weeks!

In Washington Mt Saint Helen, Grand Coulee Dam, Pikes market Dry Falls overlook, Space needle,Yakima area fruit and hops, lots of wineries in the state, Lake Chelan,If you head into central Washington from the coast the North Cross State Highway (HIghway 20) is a beautiful drive. Just to mention a few.

Fabric Depot, the waterfall tour along the Columbia River Gorge, Mt St Helens (its amazing to see the trees still blown over and all the regrowth), the Olympic Penninsula (my favorite place before the Twilight madness was LaPush (Second Beach has the best tidepools ever) and I loved Cape Flannery, Pikes Place Market, the Newport Aquarium, the Japanese Gardens in Portland....

how long do you have???

Blog Entries
    Crater Lake is unbelievable! Our vacation last year was a road trip from central California thru Mt Lassen Nat'l Park in northern California, up into Oregon, to Crater Lake, then up as far as Bend/Redmond, then down to the southeastern part back into California, then over into Nevada & Lake Tahoe, then down the Nevada side of the Sierras to Tioga Pass into Yosemite Nat'l Park, & then home.

Crater Lake, Oregon - This is an actual picture we took - not a postcard!
    Name:  Attachment-193125.jpe
Views: 43
Size:  25.8 KB

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DogHouseMom
    I'm only familiar with the northern part of Oregon ...

Mt Hood & Columbia River Gorge are beautiful, great hiking.

In June the area should be in full bloom, so check out some of the public gardens in and around Portland.
    I think the rose festival is in June. In any case, if you enjoy gardens I can suggest three in Portland - the rose garden, the classical Chinese garden and the Japanese garden. Also, check out the Pittock mansion.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnCowgirl
    Crater Lake is unbelievable! Our vacation last year was a road trip from central California thru Mt Lassen Nat'l Park in northern California, up into Oregon, to Crater Lake, then up as far as Bend/Redmond, then down to the southeastern part back into California, then over into Nevada & Lake Tahoe, then down the Nevada side of the Sierras to Tioga Pass into Yosemite Nat'l Park, & then home.
    WOW, that is a gorgeous view!!! My husband loves taking pictures, guess Crater Lake will be on my list to do!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast