Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
My daughter is getting married...............HELP! >

My daughter is getting married...............HELP!

My daughter is getting married...............HELP!

Old 07-20-2011, 12:01 PM

Seriously - The Knot rocks
Old 07-20-2011, 12:03 PM

Irene, You can do it!! I just made 5 flower girl dresses (size 18 months, 3, 4, 5, 6 - I have 4 granddaughters and my son-in-law's niece was in the wedding) and 2 skirts for my daughter in less than 4 weeks. Oh and my daughter lives in Florida and I live in Ohio. I cut all the dresses out first and labeled them. Then I sewed the biggest size first because I know that the smaller the dress is the harder it is to sew (for me anyway). Also if you have a ruffler for your machine it will make it go so much quicker. That was the best $15 I invested 25 years ago. Planning a wedding is so much fun!!
Old 07-20-2011, 12:07 PM

Take a deep breath...I planned both of my weddings (widow from first,) a neighbor's and my daughter's in less than three months. There are a lot of online tools - checklists, etc. that can be helpful.

First, decide on size and venue. That will help with a lot of the other decisions. If she is going to have a commercial cake and flowers, those would be next on the list. Vendors need a little notice, especially if she is going cake tasting, etc..., and not just store bought.

Invitations should go in the mail three weeks before the date, however, it is a really good idea to get this date out to family and friends as soon as possible. Email is just fine for this purpose!

She will need to pick out her dress before you can do the others and she will need to have a little time for alterations if necessary. If you have a David's Bridal near, I highly recommend them. Prices are reasonable, always friendly and will work in a time crunch.

I used to plan weddings, so I have lots of ideas for arrangements, decorations, reception, etc... If you have specific questions, I'd be happy to help!! Just IM me any time...

Congratulations to your daughter and your new soldier son-in-law!!
Old 07-20-2011, 12:30 PM

One of the prettiest weddings I ever saw was the one where the bride told the bridemaids to wear black. They got to choose their style and nobody had on the same dress- bet each dress was stunning for the bridesmaid that wear it. Even the groomsmen had something a little bit different so the pictures really looked nice. One bridesmaid even got to wear something from her closet. How sweet.
Old 07-20-2011, 12:41 PM

My neice just got married, she waited until 2 weeks before the big day to even look for a place, etc. The girls bought dresses "off the rack" her's too, they married on the beach with the lake in the background and an Omish made trellis, plastic chairs, and then went to the bowling alley accross the street for buffet. It was one of the most beautiful wedding I have seen and she didn't spend a fortune. My DD got married 4 years ago, she is still paying off the credit cards. It was beautiful, but Kristins was just as nice, IMHO. Keep it simple, concentrate on the things she finds important. Friends, family, and each other. Good luck, I too would help in any way possible, I've planned, catered and executed several receptions. Just PM if anything needed. If you are cooking, I can help with menu and amounts based on expected turn out.
Old 07-20-2011, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by 1234Irene
My daughter took a trip to Long Island with her boyfriend to meet his family. Then in Time Square he proposed to her in his army blues. Awwww, so romantic for her! Anyway, They come back home, I pick them up from the airport, when they let me know that they want to tie the knot September 16th, this year. Only 8weeks to plan this wedding! Her fiancé gets deployed to afganastan in December! Please help, she is my only daughter, and I don't have a clue as to what to do. She asked me last night if I would make her dresses for the flower girls, and possibly the maids of honor. Is there a check list or something to help me with this, or can y'all "help" me make one? I truly don't know where to start.........

I realize this is your only daughter and you wish to fulfill all her wishes. I have a suggestion for the brides maid and flower girl dresses. How about if your daughter chooses a color for the dresses and the girl's buy their own dresses, in the color of her choice, that they like. This way after the wedding they all have dresses that they like and can wear again to any affair. This way you are freed up from all the sewing and have time to enjoy the other arrangements that also need to be made and sstill be sane for the wedding. We can only do so much and I'm sure you daughter can understand that all that sewing would not leave you available to assist her with the other plans that need attention. Congratulations and be realistic about what one mother can do with such short notice. :-D
Old 07-20-2011, 03:08 PM

Google wedding planning and adjust the list to suit your needs. Congratulation to all.
Old 07-20-2011, 04:28 PM
Power Poster

Ok This at first seemed a bit weird to me but I bought my daughter's wedding dress off Craig's list. Many brides to be have multiple dresses as they keep changing their mind. The one we bought was brand new and already had the alterations done. We just made sure to find a dress that fitted a person with the same body size.
Old 07-20-2011, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by 1234Irene
My daughter took a trip to Long Island with her boyfriend to meet his family. Then in Time Square he proposed to her in his army blues. Awwww, so romantic for her! Anyway, They come back home, I pick them up from the airport, when they let me know that they want to tie the knot September 16th, this year. Only 8weeks to plan this wedding! Her fiancé gets deployed to afganastan in December! Please help, she is my only daughter, and I don't have a clue as to what to do. She asked me last night if I would make her dresses for the flower girls, and possibly the maids of honor. Is there a check list or something to help me with this, or can y'all "help" me make one? I truly don't know where to start.........

I have some lovely flower girl dresses -- brand new with the tags on that might work for you! What sizes do you need? She might not even know if they were hand made by you! LOL
Old 07-20-2011, 07:24 PM

First things first- go shopping and buy dresses- you don't need to be doing that as well. Don't let the great news turn you into a reck trying to do everything- set priorities that are realistic of what can and should be done- let her inlist her brides mades and plan things that are budget and time friendly. we had 6 months to plan and execute our weding before my husband was moved to a new duty station. My Mother and I made my dress from my design and my little sisters flowergirl dress, my brides maids mom made her dress, my husband wore his uniform and since my oldest brother had gotten married the year prior we had all the guys wear the same suits. We did everything on a dime and knew it wasn't the big tado many would think we should have done but it was right for us- what we didn't know until after the wedding as neither told was both of our mothers had been diagnosed with cancer within weeks of each other. Enjoy the time and let go of as much stress enducing prep as you can.