Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
My daughter is getting married...............HELP! >

My daughter is getting married...............HELP!

My daughter is getting married...............HELP!

Old 07-20-2011, 07:54 AM

I made 9 flower girl dresses for my sisters Aug wedding a few years ago. The three smallest flower girls were all under a year old and I used a sundress pattern that I already had. The 6 older girls ranged in ages from 2yr to 8yr and I used a multi-sized pattern. I also helped my sis pick a pattern that would be easy to whip up. They were sundresses in a bright pink/orange ombre. Instead of making a sash for the dress out of the fabric like the pattern called for, I used a wide grosgrain ribbon. Looked great and saved time! Good luck!
And really, when it comes down to it, you may be able to find something cute and fairly cheap at Target or Walmart and save yourself the stress....
Old 07-20-2011, 08:28 AM

Sister, sister-in-law or really good friend to help.Good luck. When my son got married they had a year to plan and DDIL took forever to make up her mind. She wanted me to do decoration for reception and kept changing her colors. Wanted burgandy then changed to red!!
Originally Posted by QuiltnNan
wow, that is a really short time frame. do you have a sister or someone who can help you with the details while you do the sewing... even someone to answer the phone and relay questions or make the meals is usually a big help. felicitations to the bride to be. and thanks to the groom to be for his service.
Old 07-20-2011, 08:59 AM

Go to http://www.theknot.com lots of help. Best wishes to your daughter. May the force be with you mama...you got a lot of work ahead of you in a short time!
Old 07-20-2011, 09:45 AM

ok First off depending on what your daughter wants for a dress for flowergirls this may work for you ,I made one for my sil's wedding for me dd ,I used believe it or not a ladies silky nightie one with spaghetti straps made a lace overdress.Hope you understand that explanation)
this one is a online checklist
[url]http://www.weddingwire.com/wedding-checklists.html?pcode=ioenhl&gclid=CMjXhIO8kKoCFUlx5Qodz2vXwg[url]

This one is printable
[url]http://www.keepandshare.com/htm/free_wedding_planning.php[url]

I know exactly what you are going thru as I am trying to help my dd plan her wedding .Best of Luck
Old 07-20-2011, 09:48 AM

Martha Stewart's site has a section on weddings with tools and suggestions that we used w/ my daughter's wedding (in a much modified version, but it did help w/ organizing).
Old 07-20-2011, 09:52 AM
Power Poster

Wow I thought I had posted this. My oldest daughter is getting married. She got engaged July 4 th and is getting married August 13 th. We are doing the wedding 130 people or so in our back yard and the party at a packing house. I am doing the food also from scratch. It has taken over my whole summer. I'll be reading the repsonses to your post. I have 8 daughters and this is the first one to get married. My oldest son got married in February. We are on a tight budget and I expect another wedding, daughter also, next summer.

The grooms step mom offered to help so I have her meet up with us at 2 today.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:30 AM

When we got married we did on an almost no exisent budget...my friend made the cake I rented a 6000 dolar dress for 150 dollars...didn't do mucjh decorating at the church I figure if its good enough for god its good enough for me...kept the wedding party down to his brother and my sister my mom was really mad so she hired a photographer other wise I had a friend doing that 2.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:34 AM

Visit bridal dress warehouse. Will save you lots of money and you will find some very beautiful dresses for the bride and bridal party. But if you are set on sewing bridemaids dresses, have a fitting party. Remember a pattern can come in several sizes, make only the top of the dress in muslin. This way you can make the adustments as needed and the finished product will fit perfectly. You can use a sharpie to make notes on muslin, such as who's dress, lenght of skirt, waist size, lenght of zipper. Cumberbonds can also be made in the same color as the dresses. Round up your sewing friends.
Old 07-20-2011, 11:27 AM

another thing I forgot to put in my other message. If your town has a "designer" second-hand boutique-some towns have them dedicated to wedding/formal dresses, it is a great place to get a wonderful dress for a fraction of what new costs-after all, they've only been worn once!
Old 07-20-2011, 11:48 AM

I think the first thing I would concentrate on would be your daughters dress. That is the most important thing of all, its her day and she should look fantastic. Since she really wants you to make it, that is where I would start.

There have been so many good ideas as far as the bridesmaids and flower girl, I really do not have anything else to offer on that note. There is no reason you need to make ALL of them. Back in the day when I was a bridesmaid I had to pay for my own dress. Not sure if times have changed that has been many moons ago. And I think they could find some very nice ones that they could use another time, so it would not be a waste of money for them.

Good luck and keep us posted !!

Also if she really wants the bridesmaids dresses hand made, heck I am a really good at the sewing machine, I have made several bridesmaid dresses and even a wedding dress. I would be more than glad to help you. You would have to send the pattern and material though... : )