Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • My daughter's progress report >
  • My daughter's progress report

• My daughter's progress report

Old 02-15-2011, 08:37 PM

Becky, in the school system where I taught, any play weapon of any kind meant an automatic suspension. You and your child would have to appear before the school board to be re-instated.
    We did have a kindergarten child expelled for this. The reason I know is that the information was in his permanent record when I taught him in 5th grade.
    With the school shootings today, there is almost universally a zero tolerance policy. I realize this is only a toy, but to some it might not appear as a toy and could cause a major panic. We had students bring many things to school that should never have left home that were immediately seized and never returned. I was surprised when it was handled at our school level sometimes and not reported to a higher authority.
    Old 02-15-2011, 08:42 PM

Although this appears to be amusing, the child is apparently trying to tell someone he is bored. If he is a bright child and the work is too easy, he will become a major behavior problem. Without offending, you might suggest the teacher find logic problems, problem solving, independent research projects, etc. that he could work on and share with the class. He needs to be challenged asap!
    I taught gifted and talented for over 20 years. Contrary to the popular opinion of it being a cushy job, I learned immediately that my students had to be challenged. They were too bright to tolerate being bored. Those are the kids who DO have discipline problems at times when they are left to their own entertainment. Their parents think they're precious and adorable. They're thrilled they are smart and sometimes create little monsters by telling the kid how bright and smart he is. From the teacher's point of view, they must learn what it's like to have to study, to not always know the correct answer and every now and then have that little uncomfortable feeling in their tummy that tells them they don't know how to do this. If not, and they are not learning, and you can bet there will be problems.
    Old 02-15-2011, 08:50 PM

I like to listen to the oldies, sometimes Perry Como, but sometimes I like the old hip hop. My oldest at that time was 8. We were walking into the store, on the way out of said store was a girl of 7 maybe. My son stopped in his tracks and sang out "baby you know what I like" I could have crawled in a crack in the sidewalk.
    Old 02-15-2011, 08:51 PM

My oldest son was in Grade 9. They had to make a choice of courses for the next year, 23 of them chose the Machine Shop with only 16 places available.. Comes from school and tells that the Principal had gathered the boys and told them that if no one would desist, he would pick 16 names out of a hat. I didn't answer back, foud out the pre-requisites and asked for an apointment with the principal. Once in his office, I asked him how the selection would be made. He repeated exactly what my son had told me adding that the kids were ganging together to make trouble. I then put my notes on his desk and asked him if the School Board also pulled his name out of a hat to be named Principal. (They opened another group and everyone was admitted.
    Old 02-15-2011, 09:44 PM

i love the stories brings back memories
    Old 02-16-2011, 01:09 AM

When I was in grade school one of my report cards said "Linda visits too much with her neighbors". My dad mortified me by writing "We have the same problem with her at home".
    Old 02-16-2011, 07:54 AM

these stories are too funny, my oldest was always a clown. I was pregnant with my second. I was a busy saturday morning at kmart, went to the bathroom, son of course was too young not to come with me. With my pants down to my knees he starts off under all the stalls introducing himself to all the ladies "Hi, my names Kenny, whats yours?" I couldv'e died right there.
    Old 02-16-2011, 10:55 AM

When my son was early elementary age he asked me if it was okay to hit a girl. I asked him why he wanted to know. He said Melissa (big girl 2 yrs older) was hitting him at the bus stop. I knew her mother, so I told her about it. I said "I told him if she hit him first then it was okay." Melissa never bother him again.
    Old 02-16-2011, 02:15 PM

When my oldest daughter was in kindergarten she was kept after school one day for not laying still during the rest period. She told the teacher that she would stay but she was leaving at 5 p.m. because that was,"when my daddy comes home and we eat supper". We lived 3 blocks from the school and she walked to and from school. We lived in a very small town in Western Colorado at the time.
    Old 02-16-2011, 05:20 PM

kids are so funny, they make me laugh now. sometimes what a pain. I get to laugh at the gks now.