Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 44

Thread: My DH trying to drink a Green Smoothie...

  1. #1
    Super Member alaskasunshine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    la la land
    Posts
    2,006
    So we are trying to drink green smoothies. I did not think this would be so tough on my DH. But as you can see he did not do well. He barfed and quit. I did 3 of them today. Poor guy! We were both laughing like crazy :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

    nearly in tears
    Name:  Attachment-152344.jpe
Views: 96
Size:  41.2 KB

    oh so sad...he did not make it :(
    Name:  Attachment-152345.jpe
Views: 100
Size:  34.6 KB

  2. #2
    Senior Member Unique Creations's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Canon City, CO
    Posts
    568
    If your green smoothies taste and smell, shall we say less than appitizing, put them in a travel mug with only a small hole so you don't have to smell it. That's the only way I can get "Healthy Drinks" down and to stay down. Hope this helps.

  3. #3
    Super Member tjradj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    London, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,329
    Blog Entries
    1
    I'm with your hubby on this one. I gave up with the grass drinks after 2 days. It was like chewing on alfalfa.
    I'm sticking to fruit drinks.

  4. #4
    Super Member SandyinZ4's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Southeast Idaho
    Posts
    3,150
    Blog Entries
    9
    What in the world is in them that makes them taste so bad? Do you really need to do this? Seems there are better ways to stay healthy.

  5. #5
    Super Member hperttula123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Northern Wisconsin
    Posts
    8,439
    We make smoothies and we put spinach(sounds gross but you don't taste it), strawberries, bananas, yogurt, and milk in it. I throw it all in the blender....kids love it. I have my kids' friends try it when they come over. They now ask for spinach shakes. I mix it up and change it alot. You can use whatever fruits you have. They overpower the spinach so it's like drinking a v8.

  6. #6
    Super Member crkathleen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Pensacola, Florida
    Posts
    1,198
    I'm sorry your hubby got sick but he has a cute boo boo lip. lol

  7. #7
    Super Member DebraK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    West Coast
    Posts
    9,193
    lol, he looks so pitiful ;-)

  8. #8
    Super Member alaskasunshine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    la la land
    Posts
    2,006
    Quote Originally Posted by SandyinZ4
    What in the world is in them that makes them taste so bad? Do you really need to do this? Seems there are better ways to stay healthy.
    Here is the recipie I used,my DH said it tasted like his fresh mown lawn :lol:

    Dr. Fuhrmanís Green Longevity Drink
    Makes 4 cups

    1 large head romaine lettuce
    1 1/2 cups spinach
    2 sprigs parsley
    1 cup broccoli florets
    2 leaves mustard greens or turnip greens
    3 collard leaves
    1/2 cup watercress
    1/8 tsp. oregano
    1/2 avocado
    1 banana, peeled
    3 large strawberries
    1 cup frozen or fresh blueberries
    1/2 papaya or mango
    1 1/2 tsp. flax seeds
    1 1/2 tsp. sunflower seeds
    1 1/2 tsp. sesame seeds

    1. Place 1/2 cup water into blender, adding ingredients, one by one, and blending until liquefied.

    2. Pour 1 cup of Dr. Fuhrmanís Green Longevity Drink into glass, adding water and stirring until desired consistency is reached. Store remainder in an airtight container and refrigerate.

  9. #9
    Super Member quiltsRfun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    8,023
    Blog Entries
    1
    Sorry but I don't think I could get that down either.

  10. #10
    Power Poster nativetexan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    home again, after 27 yrs!
    Posts
    15,684
    Blog Entries
    2
    I knew i didn't like green things!

  11. #11
    Super Member alaskasunshine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    la la land
    Posts
    2,006
    Quote Originally Posted by nativetexan
    I knew i didn't like green things!
    In the second pix my DH was praying oh dear God take me now PLEASE. I was laughing so hard, oh my word I am still laughing. Actually I didn't have a difficult time doing this at all. I just decided I WILL LIKE THIS! I am still laughing :lol: :lol: :lol:

  12. #12
    Junior Member bluekrissyspikes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    ontario, canada
    Posts
    261
    the closest thing to a green drink you'll get me to drink are my smoothies i make for the kids. i don't exactly have a recipe but this what i put in them: a bit of vanilla fat free frozen yogurt, this is what gets the kids to drink them. bananas, mashed squash and sweet potato, frozen berries. sometimes i add other veggies but they like this one cause it's pink and they don't know it has veggies in it, which is great cause they won't touch anything with veggies in it. i think my oldest is almost on to me. she keeps asking me if i'm sure it doesn't have carrot juice in it. (:

  13. #13
    Super Member irishrose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Cadillac, MI
    Posts
    6,583
    Blog Entries
    19
    What a terrible thing to do to a yummy strawberry! Actually, I can drink such things. Poor DH.

  14. #14
    Super Member EasyPeezy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,670
    ROFL. Can't believe you made him drink this. Next time make him a margarita. It's still green :wink: and taste so much better. :D :D :D

  15. #15
    Super Member trisha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Northwest Ohio
    Posts
    1,874
    It would be okayn maybe without the oregano!!! Or not!! LOL

  16. #16
    Super Member luvTooQuilt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Posts
    7,119
    Blog Entries
    1
    GROSS!!!! poor guy, I wouldn't drink that either!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by alaskasunshine
    Quote Originally Posted by SandyinZ4
    What in the world is in them that makes them taste so bad? Do you really need to do this? Seems there are better ways to stay healthy.
    Here is the recipie I used,my DH said it tasted like his fresh mown lawn :lol:

    Dr. Fuhrmanís Green Longevity Drink
    Makes 4 cups

    1 large head romaine lettuce
    1 1/2 cups spinach
    2 sprigs parsley
    1 cup broccoli florets
    2 leaves mustard greens or turnip greens
    3 collard leaves
    1/2 cup watercress
    1/8 tsp. oregano
    1/2 avocado
    1 banana, peeled
    3 large strawberries
    1 cup frozen or fresh blueberries
    1/2 papaya or mango
    1 1/2 tsp. flax seeds
    1 1/2 tsp. sunflower seeds
    1 1/2 tsp. sesame seeds

    1. Place 1/2 cup water into blender, adding ingredients, one by one, and blending until liquefied.

    2. Pour 1 cup of Dr. Fuhrmanís Green Longevity Drink into glass, adding water and stirring until desired consistency is reached. Store remainder in an airtight container and refrigerate.

  17. #17
    Super Member sewwhat85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    missouri
    Posts
    6,895
    yuck

  18. #18
    Super Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Merced, CA
    Posts
    4,230
    Blog Entries
    1
    With that recipe, to get him used to it I'd cut down drastically on the green stuff and when he gets used to it then you can start edging up on the greens.

    That's the only way I had of getting my DH to eat anything I thought healthy for him that he wasn't used to. You have no idea of how stubborn a half Portuguese =German man can be when he makes up his mind to say NO!!

  19. #19
    Super Member LindaM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Rural Small Town Ontario
    Posts
    1,473
    I think I could drink this :)

    I'd have to make it a slushie tho - frozen fruit, frozen veggies; and I'd have to grind up the seeds really finely first too, so they wouldn't end up as chunks or seem like grit.

  20. #20
    Power Poster Sadiemae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    11,454
    Blog Entries
    20
    More fruit, less veggies!

  21. #21
    wanna be quilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    S. Wales UK
    Posts
    204
    Poor guy looks like he would rather die than drink this green stuff !!

  22. #22
    Super Member leatheflea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    martinsville Indiana
    Posts
    4,454
    That reminds me of when I went to the health food store to get some protien powder. I'm hypoglycemic and the protein helps. Anyway she talked me into trying this green powder that smelled like fish food. She gave me a free sample in a baggie. I got about a mile down the road and pulled over and got it out of the car it smelled so bad, and she wanted me to make a smoothie of bananas orange juice and this dried fish guts, no way I could have put that stuff in my mouth.

  23. #23
    Super Member earlylace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Northwest, NJ
    Posts
    1,558
    why are you torturing him????
    Attached Images Attached Images

  24. #24
    Super Member SewExtremeSeams's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    7,744
    Blog Entries
    47
    Quote Originally Posted by hperttula123
    We make smoothies and we put spinach(sounds gross but you don't taste it), strawberries, bananas, yogurt, and milk in it. I throw it all in the blender....kids love it. I have my kids' friends try it when they come over. They now ask for spinach shakes. I mix it up and change it alot. You can use whatever fruits you have. They overpower the spinach so it's like drinking a v8.
    Before I read the above comment I was going to suggest putting banana in so it makes it taste and probably smell better. I find bananas can mask a lot!!!

    Poor guy. LOL LOL :cry: :cry:

  25. #25
    Senior Member PamQuilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    408
    Don't give up. There are so many ways to make them taste good. Try adding a little Stevia. I love mine. I have one almost everyday! :)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.