Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
My dog stinks!  what do you use on yours?? >

My dog stinks! what do you use on yours??

My dog stinks! what do you use on yours??

Old 03-12-2011, 04:51 AM

I used to work for a veterinarian while I was in school. We got calls all the time from people whose dogs got "skunked". We told them to use Masingil's (spelling?) douch powder. NO KIDDING!
Old 03-12-2011, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by Gramof6
I am really surprised at reading this. Learned a lot! We have Alaskan Malamutes that are indoor dogs. We only bathe them twice a year & they do not have an odor. None. We do get them up on the grooming table once a week or so and brush them out real well. This breed sheds tremendously. If they do start to smell like a dog, a good brushing takes care of it. Thanks for starting this topic. :thumbup:
You are most welcome Gram! I also have a Siberian Husky and a Newfoundland and they don't stink like Mr. Smelly!
Old 03-12-2011, 02:09 PM

My dogs got skunked once in the winter, too cold to bathe them. I took a box of baking soda and powdered them with it. Took the smell away until I could bathe them when it was warmer months later. The skunk smell was strong once the water was put on them, but by then we were outside. Dawn (Original formula, blue) is what I bathe them in now. No fleas. Cat too, when I can catch her and hold her down long enough to get her wet!!!
Old 03-13-2011, 08:03 AM

the smell may be the dogs breath. their teeth can get really nasty with plaque and build up.
Old 03-13-2011, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by laurac
the smell may be the dogs breath. their teeth can get really nasty with plaque and build up.
Yeah, mine did and she would scratch on herself with her teeth and of course the body would stink. Cost me 126.00 to get her teeth fixed.
Old 03-13-2011, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by Maggie_1963
I bathe and dry dogs for a groomer, all day long, and we use a product called Fresh N Clean, Petsmart used to carry it, but ours here does not anymore, we get it at our local grocery store...been using it for years, it is the best! Comes in a scent, (orange colored) and oatmeal for sensitive skin, pale green color...bathed a yorkie yesterday that had been sprayed by a skunk, and it almost took it out, not quite, as you may know how that goes, but almost! I use it on my dogs at home as well, there is also a cologne spray Fresh N Clean, the floral scent, not the baby powder, smells GREAT! Just like they got done at the grooming shop! lol!
Is it for pets or is it in the people cleaner supplies?
Old 03-13-2011, 03:42 PM

Fresh n Clean is a professional pet line of shampoo from Lambert Kay. You can find them at most quality pet stores, Petco and online at several merchants. Pet shampoos are PH balanced for canines.
Old 03-13-2011, 03:50 PM

I know my Tony is only 15 pounds, but he does get stinky too. In the bathtub he goes. At least once every two weeks!
Old 03-15-2011, 05:55 PM

I just had our dog fur people washed today. They had reached 'ewwwe....gag' and had to be done. I forgot my dog was black and white, not yellow! Bleah! :oops:
Old 04-14-2011, 04:04 PM

I've sprayed on Avon's Skin So Soft after bathing my dog when he would get into a skunk. He was short haired (Great Dane), don't know how it would work on a longer haired dog.