My experience with a cat

Old 04-27-2009, 06:20 PM

We had a stray cat come to visit several months ago. It started coming daily and of course I put feed out as it was very cold and he used an old dog house we have (NO dog here,just a house) as my husband made a nice straw bed in it for whatever wanted to stay and get warm. He became nice and friendly and I petted him and he loved it. Well--- on Good Friday Morning I fed and petted him and all of a sudden he attacked my hand biting my right wrist and a big tooth went in beside the vein on the inside of my wrist. I came in the house and washed it and peroxided it and a bandaid with antibiotic creme on it. I had had a sinus infection as was on antibiotics so I thought it would be ok. Well, in 2 hours it started to swell and get red by the time we were finished with our evening meal it was really swelled and red and a streak going toward my armpit. We went to ER and 3 1/2 hours later came home after having a tetnus shot a bag of intervenous antibiotic and 8 rabies shots, 4 of which were in my wrist all around the bite.-not fun. Since that time I have had 3 more shots and get one more on May 8 to finish up. Needless to say there will be no more feeding stray cats. Just a warning as to what can happen.
Ruth
Old 04-27-2009, 06:28 PM

OH MY GOODNESS!
For some reason, he felt threatened and that's why you got bit. Still doesn't make it any better.
Poor you! I sure home you are on the mend quickly!

My sister one time got bit in the leg by a friends cat. When the cat bit her, it hissed and put air into her leg. She was hospitalized for 5 days with the thought that she could lose her leg. But all went well and she's fine.
Old 04-27-2009, 06:38 PM

My big dog bit my small dog and it cost me $500+ for stitches and all for the after hours vet! These two dogs play together and are buddies, but.....
Critters can be upset about something and take it out on the nearest whatever. I have had inside pet cats bite me where I have had to get antibiotics. It happens. :?
Old 04-27-2009, 06:57 PM
Power Poster

Glad you're going to be OK. Sounds like you were working your way to cat scratch fever. Gee, right about now I'm glad mine only peed in my bed.
Old 04-27-2009, 08:11 PM
Power Poster

My dad feeds the stray cats at the lake he lives by. He doesn't try to pet them. I'm letting him know what happened to you so he doesn't get any ideas. Hope you get to feeling better soon.
Old 04-27-2009, 10:06 PM

My cat adopted me as a feral kitten. MOST of the time she is a great companion, but when she has had enough petting, or being ignored, or gets a wild hair, she will hiss and bite - from placid to lunatic in a few seconds.

Since she was half-eaten by a pit bull and has seizures, I have to accept that it is just one of the ways she communicates, and nothing malicious. Rabies is a HUGE problem near me, and while I may slip some food out to strays, I could not risk adopting one. In the past months, rabid bobcats, foxes, and a wild hog have all attacked people with no provocation or forewarning. Kinda scary.
Old 04-28-2009, 02:11 AM

Oh poor you. I hope you are ok.
Old 04-28-2009, 02:23 AM

OUCH! Poor you.....being bitten when you were so nice to that cat. Feral cats are always unpredictable. Actually, totally domestic cats are too! Hope your bite is healing well
Old 04-28-2009, 02:24 AM

Wow! I'm glad you received such quick treatment.
Old 04-28-2009, 04:56 AM
Banned

Oh my. How scary. We had stray cats we fed for years in a house we used to live in. They brought joy to me, but I couldn't keep them. I already had a cat.