Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
My Great Find on Craigslist - NOT................ >

My Great Find on Craigslist - NOT................

My Great Find on Craigslist - NOT................

Old 12-23-2010, 06:31 AM

As I want to say I agree with the 'cold turkey' concept, I believe that works with things like alcoholism and compulsive eating but in this situation it possibly could be mental illness and that is a whole other issue.

Pray for the gal. She seems to need help.
Old 12-23-2010, 06:34 AM

I check Craiglist from time to time for fabric. There is a person who lists fabric frequently, but her ad is so "snippy," that I won't even contact her! If she comes across that way in an email, imagine what dealing with her in person would be like!

Too bad, because it appears she's down-sizing a BIG stash! But her attitude has cost her my business.

Jory
Old 12-23-2010, 07:18 AM

I used to be a visiting nurse and have seen a few homes like that----it is an illness but overwhelming to those of us who could never live that way.
Old 12-23-2010, 07:26 AM

Hoarding, alcoholism, attention deficit disorder, depression, and a host of other conditions have ALWAYS been a "sickness" -- we just didn't know much about brain physiology then. And I think we are trying to understand and help people who are sick manage their illness these days. In other words, the "good old days" weren't all that good!

Jory

Originally Posted by ljsunflower
Yep, everything seems to be a 'sickness' these days.
Used to be folks were just eccentric, strange or wierd but not 'sick'.
I'd get that fabric just as quick as I could if it was me. Just move it outside in the sunshine & pick out the good stuff.
Old 12-23-2010, 08:15 AM

"The gal" is the sister who died, right? No praying will help her now.
It sounds like she needs to get the family over there & they just clean it all out & haul it to the dump.
Old 12-23-2010, 09:47 AM

how sad to live like that
Old 12-23-2010, 10:55 AM

YUCK...but than that is what I have been doing for a year....friends Mom was a hoarder,thank goodness no food scattered about..anyways she was packed up & moved from the East to be nearer to her daughter(they threw away 18 bags of junk & donated again as many) but Mom needed this stuff...she died very suddenly, never unpacked..the daughter is not well, so I have gone thru about 60 boxes washed-tossed-donated...a shelter got 2 big bags of ladies heavy weight sweatshirts-a charity got 2 huge bags of teddybears-childrens hospital got 35 beany babes. I am 80 yrs [39 yrs.in my mind], & I still work rings around the daughter who is in her 60's. Must go & sew HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO ALL
Old 12-23-2010, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by FAYE
I am 80 yrs [39 yrs.in my mind], & I still work rings around the daughter who is in her 60's. Must go & sew HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO ALL
I want to be just like you when I grow up :lol:
Merry Christmas.
Old 12-23-2010, 11:25 AM

Sorry that so many people think that keeping things is so bad and that it is an illness. Well, I've got a bad illness then because I cannot stand to see things thrown away.There is somebody who can use "stuff" and wants it, so I gather it, use it, look at it. give it to othersk -hey most quilters are glad to get fabric, evey scraps. I do remember the "depression " every well. We never missed a meal, not always what we wanted, wasn't always cavair, but we survived. Some persons who have reached the age of 80+ are of sound mind - even though doubted by some - have relatively good health and still passing out "junk" that was collected earlier and that that is being collected in the present days, and enjoying older folks and a few younger folks. Wish all 80+ persons could be so lucky. Thank God. missbelle
Old 12-23-2010, 12:05 PM

I don't think there is a thing in the world wrong about keeping things. I have a problem with people keeping things and not having them in their place. When things are just piled up and boxes are falling apart, and they are in the way of walking and are creating a danger, there is something wrong with that. They have no idea what's in the boxes (not even a clue) and it becomes a health hazard, then they have an illness.