Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
My Great Find on Craigslist - NOT................ >

My Great Find on Craigslist - NOT................

My Great Find on Craigslist - NOT................

Old 12-23-2010, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by KathyAire
I don't think there is a thing in the world wrong about keeping things. I have a problem with people keeping things and not having them in their place. When things are just piled up and boxes are falling apart, and they are in the way of walking and are creating a danger, there is something wrong with that. They have no idea what's in the boxes (not even a clue) and it becomes a health hazard, then they have an illness.
Many of the older hoarder are still in fear of the great depression and value everything.
Old 12-23-2010, 01:09 PM

A friends mother was a hoarder. It took my friend almost 2 YEARS full time to work her way thru it all, selling some, giving some away and finally having 2 full dumpsters hauled away. When they sold the house it went as is, with junk still in it!

She offered me some fabric and I was going to take some. Had it laid out and washed and dried...mom was a heavy smoker and we can't stand the smell...mom found the fabric and hid it from us...she had Alzhiemers so not much you could do about it, but grin and shrug.
Old 12-23-2010, 01:32 PM
Banned

ditto
Originally Posted by leatheflea
I would be afraid of bugs or rodents, not worth it, no matter how good of a bargin roaches are hard to get out of a house.
Old 12-23-2010, 01:33 PM
Banned

and ditto again.
Originally Posted by leatheflea
When did lazy become a sickness?
Old 12-23-2010, 01:43 PM

She is probably overwhelmed and deeply embarrassed about her situation. If she is advertising to get rid of the material she has recognized she has problem and is in her own way trying to rectify the situation, at least she is trying. She may not have given you a price because she was insecure/intimidated/anxious to make a sale and was afraid to offend you or scare you off. More than likely if you took cash and said I will give you +blank+ amount per yard for what I find I can use she would probably be tremendously relieved and appreciative of you taking charge of the situation. If it would make you feel better take your own boxes/totes to pack the good stuff in. Or you could offer a set amount of cash for the lot then just "wade" thru it a box at a time.
Blessings,
Karon
Old 12-23-2010, 01:45 PM
Banned

Everyone should watch the show "Hoarders" on A&E tv. It really gives you insight to understand. BUT with that said. No matter how clean you think your house is if you hoard I guarantee once you get down to the bottom you will find things that are bad.....(mouse poop, ants, roaches or any combination of those and more). And yes my Grandmother was a hoarder. She kept it hidden well though. She kept it all upstairs so no one would see it. When she died last year it took 4 of her daughters 6 months of constant sorting to get most of it out. And there is still some in there. Hoarding is hereditary also, my mother battles with it. I have been working with her to understand...don't save it for me. I have my own house and don't need things I never needed before. I finally got her to on her own clean out alot of stuff from the extra bedrooms. I also see my daughter battle with it on a smaller scale. But watching the show with her and showing her that those people don't have good strong family time with their families and friends coming over because of the mess, she has learned to realize that all possessions can be replaced....family and friends can not. And the only real thing you need in life is those two things.
Old 12-23-2010, 01:58 PM

I can really relate to the hoarders. My only saving grace is that when it was getting too bad, my housekeeper, yes, I have one who tries to keep me in check, offered to "clean out the garage and extra room" which was almost filled to the ceiling. I had to leave home while it was getting done, cause I get the anxiety feelings that make a clean out impossible. Three very large trash containers latter, it was done. I'm sure in a couple of years that it will be needed doing again, as I just can't throw stuff away....... :thumbdown:
Old 12-23-2010, 02:53 PM

Oooh, I have a real bug phobia and I was itching well before I was done reading your post.
Old 12-23-2010, 07:34 PM

I'm one that, unless it was crawling with bugs or smelled so bad I couldn't breathe, would have claimed a corner and started sorting. Nothing a good washing can't fix as a rule.
Old 12-23-2010, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by KathyAire
My friend/neighbor and I had lunch together today since it was her day off. After lunch we answered an ad on Craigslist for FABRIC. Oh Man, I do not understand how anyone would possibly invite another into their home when it was in the shape of that house. The producers from 'The Hoarders' would have a field day there. I'm not kidding. The woman said it was her sister's estate. A better description would be her sister's 'garbage/junk'. You could not walk through the house. You had to walk over, around and dodge things - then she pointed to an area that had boxes piled all over with a tiny space between the piles of boxes. She had no idea what was in the boxes other than fabric. If we were overweight, we would not have fit in the little aisle to the boxes. I didn't even want to be there but didn't know what to say. I just wanted to get out of there. Finally, I told her that there was so much that I was overwhelmed and it would take more time to go through the boxes than we could devote to it. She said after the holidays she would be available and we could come back. She thought we were overwhelmed with goodness instead of disgust. It wasn't just the area of her sister's stuff it was the whole house. I think I will stop looking on Craigslist.
I agree. You have to be very careful when searching on craigslist. We have been very lucky in finding things we needed; however, we also ran into some WIERD places. I suggest you never go alone in answering the ads.