My PC has problems!

Old 09-13-2014, 06:17 PM

Two of you ladies have me ROFL this evening, tessagin and janRN. I can't think that fast on my feet. I am just glad that we now have caller ID, and if I don't recognize the number I let it go to the machine, then if I know who it is, I'll answer.
Old 09-13-2014, 08:44 PM

janRN & Tessigin....good ones!! When I have time, I love to mess with these guys. I act very interested in what they are trying to sell, ask lots of questions about it and say "just a minute I have to write that down" and when they finally move in for the kill, I say "I don't think so, since you were wasting my time, I thought I would waste some of yours. Have a great day, Bye." I always wish that I could see their face when I say that!!
Old 09-14-2014, 06:35 AM

I have been getting calls about medic-alert. When I ask for the information of who the referal is because it's a HIPPA thing they hang up or tell me its marketing and when I ask for marketing they put me on hold and then I get a busy signal. The calls are getting fewer and fewer. Just tell them you need the information for the government to investigate.
Old 09-14-2014, 10:12 AM

DO NOT continue with the conversation. Tell the person to go pound salt or whatever, but don't give them anything but the sound of you hanging up.
Old 09-14-2014, 11:06 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by janRN View Post
I've gotten the same call from Ted (yeah, right) and he knows I'm having computer problems. At least I think that's what he said, couldn't understand him. Knowing it's a scam, I went into a long story about my husband leaving me for his 18 year old girlfriend and taking the computer with him and if I give Ted his password would he please get me all the banking info so I could get some money. I rambled on for a good 3-4 minutes until Ted hung up on me LOL!!
I HOPE that I am as COOL as you were if I get a call from TED !!!! Most likely i will tell him: WHAT DO YOU MEAN, I HAVE A MAC!! I really don't, I have a very old XP computer.
Old 09-14-2014, 01:09 PM

I got one too, I was told the "brain of my computer" was dying. I told him, Oh damn, I thought I was the only one in my house that was "brain dead". Bang went the receiver!!!
Old 09-14-2014, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by Edie View Post
For what it is worth - NATIONAL DO NOT CALL REGISTRY - 1-888-382-1222.

Have a good evening. Edie

Has anyone ever found this worth the effort to sign up? I have been signed up since '03 and still get calls by the dozens. They don't stop scams, political or donation solicitations. Best thing I have done is change my 44 yr old number for a new one and I am being careful of who I give it to. I can't get up and run to the phone as easily as I use to.
Old 09-14-2014, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by nanOmint View Post
Has anyone ever found this worth the effort to sign up? I have been signed up since '03 and still get calls by the dozens. They don't stop scams, political or donation solicitations. Best thing I have done is change my 44 yr old number for a new one and I am being careful of who I give it to. I can't get up and run to the phone as easily as I use to.
I believe that both political and charitable solicitors are exempt from the do not call list. Scammers wouldn't honor a list. We have caller ID, and just got new phones that allow us to block up to 250 callers. I've had great fun entering all those numbers! In two weeks, we've gone from 10 -12 calls a day to maybe one or two!!
Old 09-15-2014, 05:26 AM
Power Poster

If I have time I give the caller all the time needed to give me their spill and then at the end say my house is for sale, are you calling about my house?
It's scary that so many must be falling for these scams to keep them in business.
Old 09-15-2014, 05:45 AM

We get calls like that and my husband asks for the man's name, then tells him he will get his supervisor since this is a government computer. They hang up immediately and only called back once more after that.