My Pumpkins and Turkeys

Old 10-26-2010, 11:28 AM

Wow that is a lot! Nice collection.
Old 10-26-2010, 11:31 AM

Wow!! And here I thought I had a lot of Nutcrackers on display.

You take the blue ribbon. And please tell us how you made that marvelous goose. I have just the spot for something like that, in my black and white section of the front room.
Old 10-26-2010, 11:39 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Ramona Byrd

You take the blue ribbon. And please tell us how you made that marvelous goose. I have just the spot for something like that, in my black and white section of the front room.
I cut out a pattern from newspaper. I took one I liked and drew my own pattern. There are 3 pieces if I remember right. You have a front and a back and you sew them together. Poke out the bill and then you have a piece for the bottom you sew on. I stuff them with polyfil. I put rocks in the bottom of this one as they had a habit of wanting to list to one side.

when I can get my pattern out I will post a tute on it. but I'm not sure about how to do the pattern. I might see if I can do some sort of pdf file with the pattern. It isn't small so not sure how that would work out. If I post a pic of each piece and you could download it and enlarge it on a copier. Hmmmm.... let me see what I can do. it is my own pattern so no copyright problems there.
Old 10-26-2010, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by Rhonda
Originally Posted by Ramona Byrd

I cut out a pattern from newspaper. I took one I liked and drew my own pattern. There are 3 pieces if I remember right. You have a front and a back and you sew them together. Poke out the bill and then you have a piece for the bottom you sew on. I stuff them with polyfil. I put rocks in the bottom of this one as they had a habit of wanting to list to one side.

when I can get my pattern out I will post a tute on it. but I'm not sure about how to do the pattern. I might see if I can do some sort of pdf file with the pattern. It isn't small so not sure how that would work out. If I post a pic of each piece and you could download it and enlarge it on a copier. Hmmmm.... let me see what I can do. it is my own pattern so no copyright problems there.
I would like to see that!
Old 10-26-2010, 11:48 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Jodie02b
[ when I can get my pattern out I will post a tute on it. but I'm not sure about how to do the pattern. I might see if I can do some sort of pdf file with the pattern. It isn't small so not sure how that would work out. If I post a pic of each piece and you could download it and enlarge it on a copier. Hmmmm.... let me see what I can do. it is my own pattern so no copyright problems there.
I would like to see that![/quote]

I'll work on it. I think I know how I can do it. So will get it on later today hopefully.
Old 10-26-2010, 04:21 PM

Rhonda, I love all your pumpkins and everything else, really like your pie safe, how old is it? Thanks for sharing, enjoyed looking. I'd love to have all your pumpkins.
Old 10-26-2010, 05:20 PM

enjoyed looking and your pumpkin and turkey collection.
Old 10-26-2010, 05:46 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by quilter2
Rhonda, I love all your pumpkins and everything else, really like your pie safe, how old is it? Thanks for sharing, enjoyed looking. I'd love to have all your pumpkins.
That pie safe is a repro. I bought at an unfinished furniture store about 15 yrs ago. I have another one that is an antique across the room from it. This one is unique because you rarely if ever see one that is this tall. The people that had it before me got it in pieces and they put it back together. But they used new hardware and someone tried to clean the tin up with spray paint. I will someday refinish it but it is fine the way it is for now.

My pie safe had doors on the bottom but I took them off to store blankets and quilts and have them show.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]91566[/ATTACH]

This is how I use this pie safe! It is the kids tv for when the grands are here, It keeps the mess controlled.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]92300[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-91561.jpe   attachment-92295.jpe  
Old 10-26-2010, 06:18 PM

Rhonda, I like that pie safe, good way to use it. I have one that is also tall, mine has the punched tin on the sides and my Dad always had to change things so he took off the wood doors on the front and replaced them with glass, it also has the two doors on the bottom. Mine is real old, it was my grandmother's from the farm. Thanks for sharing your other pie safe.
Old 10-26-2010, 06:21 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by quilter2
Rhonda, I like that pie safe, good way to use it. I have one that is also tall, mine has the punched tin on the sides and my Dad always had to change things so he took off the wood doors on the front and replaced them with glass, it also has the two doors on the bottom. Mine is real old, it was my grandmother's from the farm. Thanks for sharing your other pie safe.
I would love to see apicture of yours. I love pie safes and old cabinets. I have a chimney cabinet in the kitchen. It is also called a jelly cabinet as they often used them for storing home canned jellies. I use it to store canned goods

This pie safe has tin on the sides also.