My Pumpkins and Turkeys

Old 10-26-2010, 06:24 PM

I'll take a picture of it tomorrow, I'd like to see your jelly cabinet. I love old things.
Old 10-26-2010, 07:09 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by quilter2
I'll take a picture of it tomorrow, I'd like to see your jelly cabinet. I love old things.
so do I. This building where we live was built for my dad as an automotive business 40 years ago. After my dad was given 18 mos to live because of his heart my mom retired and opened her antique business here. She had it open for about 3 years and because my dad died 2 mos after she opened it she pretty much lost her drive for awhile so eventually closed it. I grew up with her collecting antiques and things for her some day antique shop so when she opened she had a lot of it stored. I practically lived in antique shops when I was a child. We had several friends who had shops and knew all the local dealers. I am drawn to shelves and cabinets for some reason. My mom is more the varnished wood and white walls type with large old antique china cabinet and a floor to ceiling armour in the dining room. I am more into the primitive look. I like the raw weathered wood. A couple of my cabinets are out of barns. I think it makes them more interesting not to be perfect. They show the wear and tear of use and I love it.

This cabinet was in a garage on a property my uncle rents out. He let m om have it. He was going to throw it on the burn pile but mom talked him out of it. Then she decided she didn't want it anymore and I got it. It is on the wall to the left of the Jelly cabinet. You can see some of the wear and tear. I need to repaint it.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]95507[/ATTACH]

My Jelly Cabinet in the kitchen
[ATTACH=CONFIG]95870[/ATTACH]

This one used to be in my kitchen. I moved it into my dining area which is one half of my living area.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]95871[/ATTACH]

This red cabinet I just got last fall. I love small drawers.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]95872[/ATTACH]

This one we bought from an antique dealer. It was taken out of a barn. I use it to display differant collections. It has most of my DHs media collection. He has 8 tracks and records and all sorts of things that pertain to old music and radios etc.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]96238[/ATTACH]

This little cabinet is a record cabinet, It is meant to hold records. It had several shelves which I removed and I now use it to hold linens. My Grands sleep on my hideabed in the living room which is only a few feet from this cabinet. So it serves to store sheets and bedding. I don't have closets so I have to come up with storage in other ways.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]96797[/ATTACH]

This is my newest addition. I got this one earlier this summer. A neighbor of ours is an auctioneer. He has a large barn where he displays stuff he gets at auction and he has garage sales all the time. He always finds the kind of things I like! I got my tall pie safe from him also.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]98669[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-95502.jpe   attachment-95865.jpe   attachment-95866.jpe   attachment-95867.jpe   attachment-96233.jpe  

attachment-96792.jpe   attachment-98664.jpe  
Old 10-26-2010, 07:20 PM

I, too, like the primitive look. Love that chicken sitting on top of your cabinet. She is really cute. I have a few chickens but I seem to have collected a lot of crows over the years.
I have 5 live crows that come begging for bread every morning. I love feeding the birds.
Old 10-26-2010, 07:21 PM

How interesting where you live. I like your jelly cabinet, is that a old crock on top of it? Your other cabinets are also nice, I also like the not so perfect things. I used to have so many old things but in my younger days, I decided I didn't like them anymore so I sold them, so sorry that I did that, I feel like I got rid of my Grandmother's life. I only have a few things left. Your house sounds like I would enjoy looking at everything in it.
Old 10-26-2010, 07:23 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Blue Bell
I, too, like the primitive look. Love that chicken sitting on top of your cabinet. She is really cute. I have a few chickens but I seem to have collected a lot of crows over the years.
I have 5 live crows that come begging for bread every morning. I love feeding the birds.
I have a large chicken collection too but they are stored right now. That chicken is really my mom's. When she and I have something we are tired of the other one will use it for awhile or it goes in storage for later. I really like that chicken too!
Old 10-26-2010, 07:27 PM
Power Poster

How interesting where you live. I like your jelly cabinet, is that a old crock on top of it? Your other cabinets are also nice, I also like the not so perfect things. I used to have so many old things but in my younger days, I decided I didn't like them anymore so I sold them, so sorry that I did that, I feel like I got rid of my Grandmother's life. I only have a few things left. Your house sounds like I would enjoy looking at everything in it.
Mom and I both are pack rats. I learned alot from my mom for decorating and collecting. She has a good eye for interior decorating. She's the one who did my turkey display. I was busy and she loves to play so I let her sometimes. That Chicken coop is actually hers. The dresser that you see in my pumpkins was her "desk" when she had her antique shop in here. You can't see it but beside the green pie safe is my 1940s antique stove.
Old 10-26-2010, 07:27 PM

I didn't finish looking at the rest of the pictures, wow, they just keep getting better, I really like the blue one with the baskets under it. I love all the different colors they are painted and the color of your walls, wish you could take pictures of everything in your home, I'm sure I would love everything. Thank you for posting these pictures.
Old 10-26-2010, 07:32 PM
Power Poster

I have aluminum pans that go on top of the Jelly cabinet. I also have one of my pickle jars up there with instant potatoes in it. and a metal grater. I collect aluminum pans and white graniteware ( and use them) and I use cast iron skillets. I like crocks but I don't really have many. My mom collects crocks of all shapes and sizes. I also collect aluminum coffee pots but they are all stored right now.
Old 10-26-2010, 07:37 PM
Power Poster

I didn't finish looking at the rest of the pictures, wow, they just keep getting better, I really like the blue one with the baskets under it. I love all the different colors they are painted and the color of your walls, wish you could take pictures of everything in your home, I'm sure I would love everything. Thank you for posting these pictures.
My family thought I was nuts the first time I painted my walls(differant house) a deep rose which looks purple. My soninlaw came in when I was painting it and called it Barney purple! LOL I love deep contrast and I love dark colors on the walls. I was wanting a denim shade when I painted these walls. It is a bit lighter than I wanted. I have a darker shade but haven't taken the time to repaint.
I have a 1950s style kitchen and I asked my DH( who is usually my partner in crime when I decide to do a project) what he thought about me painting the kitchen red. He didn't blink just said go ahead. So I did.

I love color! I grew up with white walls and my mom still has white walls. I hate white! It is too boring! I don't care much for cream either. You will notice in my quilting I rarely use any white or cream. I did however paint my woodwork an antique white to play off the blue walls.
Old 10-26-2010, 07:48 PM

Wow you have a very happy house. I love the blue walls.
Plus all your collections. So cute. Thanks for sharing.
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: