Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: My Pumpkins and Turkeys

Blog Entries
    I collect a lot of differant things. I really enjoy getting out my pumpkins each year and adding to my collection from time to time. I have in the past gone to the local pumpkin patch and brought home a ton of interesting real pumpkins and gourds but I got tired of losing them too soon. Some don't keep for long. So this last year or two I added to my collection instead of buying the real ones. These last longer!

My whole wall of wooden boxes. The smaller ones are sewing machine drawers.
    Name:  Attachment-105848.jpe
Views: 79
Size:  36.0 KB

The right side of my wall
    Name:  Attachment-105849.jpe
Views: 68
Size:  20.7 KB

I made several of these geese a few years ago. This was my favorite one and it is the only one I kept.
    Name:  Attachment-105850.jpe
Views: 75
Size:  26.0 KB

You can see how tiny these are. The tiny pumpkins I got at our local pumpkin patch last year.
    Name:  Attachment-105853.jpe
Views: 112
Size:  18.3 KB

I made the flat wooden pumpkin on the right behind all the others. It has leaves on the top
    Name:  Attachment-105856.jpe
Views: 200
Size:  28.0 KB

This is a chicken nesting box. But for now it is a Turkey nesting box! LOL
    Name:  Attachment-105859.jpe
Views: 145
Size:  34.6 KB

These little pumpkins my mom made. They are made from modeling clay.
    Name:  Attachment-105900.jpe
Views: 126
Size:  14.7 KB

The wood box on the dresser I made a few years ago out of barn boards. Some of the flat wooden pumpkins I made also that year.
    Name:  Attachment-105901.jpe
Views: 102
Size:  28.5 KB

I don't have closets so I store stuff around the house. The box with the house on it has some DVDs I don't want my DGS Zach to get ahold of. He is really hard on DVDs
    Name:  Attachment-105922.jpe
Views: 66
Size:  24.9 KB

I made the pumpkin in the top left box. It is the one in the back on the right with the leaves on the stem.
    Name:  Attachment-106147.jpe
Views: 72
Size:  21.7 KB

My top Tom!! LOL
    Name:  Attachment-106327.jpe
Views: 66
Size:  22.0 KB

Pilgrim Tom
    Name:  Attachment-106713.jpe
Views: 69
Size:  25.5 KB

These three I got at Hobby Lobby between last year and this year. The pear on the left I just got a couple of days ago.
    Name:  Attachment-106984.jpe
Views: 70
Size:  25.9 KB

Being a laaazzyy Tom!
    Name:  Attachment-107310.jpe
Views: 67
Size:  26.8 KB

The suitcase is actually one of my DHs record players. This one is similar to a Victrola and the sampler is one my mom made recently.
    Name:  Attachment-107757.jpe
Size:  28.0 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhonda
    I collect a lot of differant things. I really enjoy getting out my pumpkins each year and adding to my collection from time to time. I have in the past gone to the local pumpkin patch and brought home a ton of interesting real pumpkins and gourds but I got tired of losing them too soon. Some don't keep for long. So this last year or two I added to my collection instead of buying the real ones. These last longer!
    Cool display! Using sewing machine drawers, great idea! What did you do with rest of the sewing cabinets? :thumbup:

Blog Entries
    Thanks for sharing as always your work is inspiring!

Cute!

Nice.

wow great collection, love the displays, I collect glass paper weights, i need to think of a cool display for them. Thanks for the inspiration.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by skjquiltnut
    Cool display! Using sewing machine drawers, great idea! What did you do with rest of the sewing cabinets? :thumbup:
    You can buy just the drawers at antique shops. I got them for about $5 ea. I have a whole lot more of them. I use 3 under my table for keeping markers in one and my comp cds in one and my meds in one. I also have a few I haven't used yet. and then there are my thread drawers.

My thread drawers
    Name:  Attachment-108589.jpe
Size:  30.4 KB

On my pie safe
    Name:  Attachment-108590.jpe
Size:  23.5 KB

Here is two of the drawers
    Name:  Attachment-108591.jpe
Size:  28.5 KB

Blog Entries
    What a wonderful collection, thank you for sharing :D:D:D

Blog Entries
    Neat collection, and like your storage ideas!

It's nice to see the different things everyone likes to collect

Wow that is a lot! Nice collection.

Blog Entries
    Wow!! And here I thought I had a lot of Nutcrackers on display.

You take the blue ribbon. And please tell us how you made that marvelous goose. I have just the spot for something like that, in my black and white section of the front room.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramona Byrd

You take the blue ribbon. And please tell us how you made that marvelous goose. I have just the spot for something like that, in my black and white section of the front room.
    I cut out a pattern from newspaper. I took one I liked and drew my own pattern. There are 3 pieces if I remember right. You have a front and a back and you sew them together. Poke out the bill and then you have a piece for the bottom you sew on. I stuff them with polyfil. I put rocks in the bottom of this one as they had a habit of wanting to list to one side.

when I can get my pattern out I will post a tute on it. but I'm not sure about how to do the pattern. I might see if I can do some sort of pdf file with the pattern. It isn't small so not sure how that would work out. If I post a pic of each piece and you could download it and enlarge it on a copier. Hmmmm.... let me see what I can do. it is my own pattern so no copyright problems there.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramona Byrd

I cut out a pattern from newspaper. I took one I liked and drew my own pattern. There are 3 pieces if I remember right. You have a front and a back and you sew them together. Poke out the bill and then you have a piece for the bottom you sew on. I stuff them with polyfil. I put rocks in the bottom of this one as they had a habit of wanting to list to one side.

when I can get my pattern out I will post a tute on it. but I'm not sure about how to do the pattern. I might see if I can do some sort of pdf file with the pattern. It isn't small so not sure how that would work out. If I post a pic of each piece and you could download it and enlarge it on a copier. Hmmmm.... let me see what I can do. it is my own pattern so no copyright problems there.
    I would like to see that!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jodie02b
    [ when I can get my pattern out I will post a tute on it. but I'm not sure about how to do the pattern. I might see if I can do some sort of pdf file with the pattern. It isn't small so not sure how that would work out. If I post a pic of each piece and you could download it and enlarge it on a copier. Hmmmm.... let me see what I can do. it is my own pattern so no copyright problems there.
    I would like to see that![/quote]

I'll work on it. I think I know how I can do it. So will get it on later today hopefully.

Rhonda, I love all your pumpkins and everything else, really like your pie safe, how old is it? Thanks for sharing, enjoyed looking. I'd love to have all your pumpkins.

enjoyed looking and your pumpkin and turkey collection.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by quilter2
    Rhonda, I love all your pumpkins and everything else, really like your pie safe, how old is it? Thanks for sharing, enjoyed looking. I'd love to have all your pumpkins.
    That pie safe is a repro. I bought at an unfinished furniture store about 15 yrs ago. I have another one that is an antique across the room from it. This one is unique because you rarely if ever see one that is this tall. The people that had it before me got it in pieces and they put it back together. But they used new hardware and someone tried to clean the tin up with spray paint. I will someday refinish it but it is fine the way it is for now.

My pie safe had doors on the bottom but I took them off to store blankets and quilts and have them show.
    Name:  Attachment-91561.jpe
Views: 5
Size:  26.0 KB

This is how I use this pie safe! It is the kids tv for when the grands are here, It keeps the mess controlled.
    Name:  Attachment-92295.jpe
Views: 8
Size:  26.5 KB

Rhonda, I like that pie safe, good way to use it. I have one that is also tall, mine has the punched tin on the sides and my Dad always had to change things so he took off the wood doors on the front and replaced them with glass, it also has the two doors on the bottom. Mine is real old, it was my grandmother's from the farm. Thanks for sharing your other pie safe.

Blog Entries
    Rhonda, I like that pie safe, good way to use it. I have one that is also tall, mine has the punched tin on the sides and my Dad always had to change things so he took off the wood doors on the front and replaced them with glass, it also has the two doors on the bottom. Mine is real old, it was my grandmother's from the farm. Thanks for sharing your other pie safe.
    I would love to see apicture of yours. I love pie safes and old cabinets. I have a chimney cabinet in the kitchen. It is also called a jelly cabinet as they often used them for storing home canned jellies. I use it to store canned goods

This pie safe has tin on the sides also.

I'll take a picture of it tomorrow, I'd like to see your jelly cabinet. I love old things.

Blog Entries
    I'll take a picture of it tomorrow, I'd like to see your jelly cabinet. I love old things.
    so do I. This building where we live was built for my dad as an automotive business 40 years ago. After my dad was given 18 mos to live because of his heart my mom retired and opened her antique business here. She had it open for about 3 years and because my dad died 2 mos after she opened it she pretty much lost her drive for awhile so eventually closed it. I grew up with her collecting antiques and things for her some day antique shop so when she opened she had a lot of it stored. I practically lived in antique shops when I was a child. We had several friends who had shops and knew all the local dealers. I am drawn to shelves and cabinets for some reason. My mom is more the varnished wood and white walls type with large old antique china cabinet and a floor to ceiling armour in the dining room. I am more into the primitive look. I like the raw weathered wood. A couple of my cabinets are out of barns. I think it makes them more interesting not to be perfect. They show the wear and tear of use and I love it.

This cabinet was in a garage on a property my uncle rents out. He let m om have it. He was going to throw it on the burn pile but mom talked him out of it. Then she decided she didn't want it anymore and I got it. It is on the wall to the left of the Jelly cabinet. You can see some of the wear and tear. I need to repaint it.
    Name:  Attachment-95502.jpe
Views: 6
Size:  10.8 KB

My Jelly Cabinet in the kitchen
    Name:  Attachment-95865.jpe
Views: 9
Size:  14.2 KB

This one used to be in my kitchen. I moved it into my dining area which is one half of my living area.
    Name:  Attachment-95866.jpe
Views: 15
Size:  10.5 KB

This red cabinet I just got last fall. I love small drawers.
    Name:  Attachment-95867.jpe
Views: 6
Size:  23.3 KB

This one we bought from an antique dealer. It was taken out of a barn. I use it to display differant collections. It has most of my DHs media collection. He has 8 tracks and records and all sorts of things that pertain to old music and radios etc.
    Name:  Attachment-96233.jpe
Views: 9
Size:  31.9 KB

This little cabinet is a record cabinet, It is meant to hold records. It had several shelves which I removed and I now use it to hold linens. My Grands sleep on my hideabed in the living room which is only a few feet from this cabinet. So it serves to store sheets and bedding. I don't have closets so I have to come up with storage in other ways.
    Name:  Attachment-96792.jpe
Views: 5
Size:  14.3 KB

This is my newest addition. I got this one earlier this summer. A neighbor of ours is an auctioneer. He has a large barn where he displays stuff he gets at auction and he has garage sales all the time. He always finds the kind of things I like! I got my tall pie safe from him also.
    Name:  Attachment-98664.jpe
Views: 10
Size:  32.7 KB

I, too, like the primitive look. Love that chicken sitting on top of your cabinet. She is really cute. I have a few chickens but I seem to have collected a lot of crows over the years.
    I have 5 live crows that come begging for bread every morning. I love feeding the birds.

How interesting where you live. I like your jelly cabinet, is that a old crock on top of it? Your other cabinets are also nice, I also like the not so perfect things. I used to have so many old things but in my younger days, I decided I didn't like them anymore so I sold them, so sorry that I did that, I feel like I got rid of my Grandmother's life. I only have a few things left. Your house sounds like I would enjoy looking at everything in it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Bell
    I, too, like the primitive look. Love that chicken sitting on top of your cabinet. She is really cute. I have a few chickens but I seem to have collected a lot of crows over the years.
    I have 5 live crows that come begging for bread every morning. I love feeding the birds.
    I have a large chicken collection too but they are stored right now. That chicken is really my mom's. When she and I have something we are tired of the other one will use it for awhile or it goes in storage for later. I really like that chicken too!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast