Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
My tale of Woe but with a happy ending >

My tale of Woe but with a happy ending

My tale of Woe but with a happy ending

Old 07-14-2011, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by isnthatodd
We have made hundreds of purchases on ebay and only had a couple of problems. We do always wait until we receive an invoice from the seller. That way, if there is a problem, we can resolve it before we pay it. We use Paypal and have never had a problem, but I do check after each transaction.
Ditto.
Old 07-14-2011, 02:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by garysgal
I debated sharing this because just thinking about it makes my stomach sick, but... I won two auctions on ebay and they both stated "free shipping and postage''. When I got the invoice I paid it thru PayPal and then when they sent me an email notifying me that I had paid, I looked at it and it said "shipping and handling $11.19". I almost fainted!! I emailed the seller and they said oh no, ebay added that, they had nothing to do with it because I chose to pay it when I won the items. I called ebay and they said no, we don't add postage, the seller did it because apparently you chose to pay postage. I called PayPal and they said they didn't add the postage, the seller must have. I thought and thought and asked myself how in the world did I chose to pay shipping when the auction clearly said free postage. (If I had been more alert I would have noticed it before I paid and then could have handled it then.) After about 6 emails back and forth to the seller, I came to the conclusion that something wasn't right, but I had no idea what it was. The seller told me they couldn't refund the money because the package was already in the mail. Plus they told me that Ebay does this all the time and they have no control over it. So I told myself that I had learned a valuable and expensive lesson. I waited and waited and the package didn't come when it was supposed to so I emailed the seller and they said, oh we are so sorry, we'll contact UPS and refund your shipping. Duh-why could they NOW refund my money but couldn't before? I checked with PayPal and sure enough, the $11.19 was refunded. So, I am left with my auction, (which came late) a refund and the feeling that somehow, this seller isn't being truthful. Now, my problem is what kind of feedback do I leave? Believe it or not, they have a 100 % feedback.
you needed to contact ebay with the item # right away and you could have filed a dispute with paypal. You can still tell ebay, if that item is still in your WON section, go to it and SEE what it says, then print that out and then put into a WORD file so you email it to ebay. IF it shows the shipping was FREE...
Ebay and paypal do NOT, nor have they ever added anything to a transaction! That seller was NOT on the up & up and is the sole reason why the HONEST sellers are leaving ebay in waves/droves, whatever they can do to get out!
With the latest rounds of RULES coming out, it will really be harder for the HONEST sellers to do anything right! The crooks, both buyers and sellers, will always have the upper hand!

Sorry this happened to you!

I closed my ebay store and really do NOT regret it...I was tired of getting ripped off by dishonest buyers!
Old 07-14-2011, 03:00 PM
Power Poster

Be honest.
Old 07-14-2011, 03:50 PM

I had an experience where it said FREE SHIPPING on the eBay ad, but when I went in to purchase it, it added $15.00 for shipping. I couldn't figure it out for a minute, then I read the FINE PRINT, and you had to buy more than a specific number of the items to get FREE SHIPPING!! It was very deceptive.

In all these transactions, remember BUYER BEWARE!!! It's YOUR responsibility to check out EVERYTHING before you agree to buy.
Old 07-14-2011, 05:02 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jljack
I had an experience where it said FREE SHIPPING on the eBay ad, but when I went in to purchase it, it added $15.00 for shipping. I couldn't figure it out for a minute, then I read the FINE PRINT, and you had to buy more than a specific number of the items to get FREE SHIPPING!! It was very deceptive.

In all these transactions, remember BUYER BEWARE!!! It's YOUR responsibility to check out EVERYTHING before you agree to buy.
wow..that is true FALSE advertising and deception. EBAY does not take kindly to sellers who play like that! you should have canceled the transaction and reported them for sure!
Old 07-14-2011, 05:02 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by blueangel
Be honest.
Who?
Old 07-14-2011, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
Be honest.
WHO?
I believe that's advice to the OP.

Why are you yelling?
Old 07-14-2011, 05:37 PM

I always state the truth, period. I bid on sellers based on other peoples feedback. If I said anything but the facts, the next person might get "taken" too.
Old 07-14-2011, 05:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mattee
Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
Be honest.
WHO?
I believe that's advice to the OP.

Why are you yelling?
Sorry did not mean to yell....had caps on from something else!
Old 07-14-2011, 06:59 PM

I have bought and sold on eBay and only had one bad experience, and that was resolved eventually. I use Pay Pall all the time, I love when an online store takes PP, it is so convenient. Now I have been an eBay seller since the 90's off and on, shopping just as long. Most folks are honest despite the claims otherwise.
It is like the news, no one cares to hear about good stuff, but one bad story and generalizations are made.